Crying Cat

Old March 28th 05, 07:05 AM
Skip Turner via CatKB.com

Default Crying Cat

Hello,

I know that pretty much everybody on this website is going to disagree with
me about letting cats outside, but I really don't believe in making my cats
life miserable.

I got him from a shelter two months ago, and have had him inside until
yesterday. He spends all day crying at the windows. So the past couple
days, I have let him out (I live in a bungalow in Santa Monica). I have
been following him around as he sniffs the shared yard out front.

He has yet to come back in on his own. I always have to carry him, and then
he cries to go back out. Our neighbor cats play and frolic and hang out,
and go in and out of their house. I really hope my cat learns to do the
same.

I have a friend who has had a cat for 7 years. And for seven years this cat
has cried at the windows and tried to escape every chance he gets. My
friend is great to him, and doesn't believe in letting him out.

I disagree. This cat was absolutely born to be an outside cat. And for the
last seven years, he hasn't given up trying to get out, and I don't believe
he ever will. Anytime I go over there you have to slowly open the door, put
your hand down and pick him up - when you walk in the door. Every time.
When you leave, you have to stick your foot out, and run out and slam the
door to stop him. Every time.

I won't live like that. So when my new cat started crying to go out, I'm
going to let him out.

So anyhow, this post is for the people who let their cats out. Please don't
yell at me for deciding to let my cat out, I love him so much that I can't
see him miserable.

For those people. How can I introduce him to the outside? When can he start
going out unattended? Will he ever want to come in on his own? He was
feral, I believe, before I got him... Does this mean he is a wanderer in
spirit, and won't be coming back?

I'm scared, but resigned. If he doesn't come back. I will be very sad, and
I won't get another cat. But It's the laws of probablility. Nature takes
its course. If he wants to be here, he will come back. I'm no Jailer.

If anybody could please help me with letting a new cat outdoors - and the
steps I should take...

Thanks!

Old March 28th 05, 07:17 AM
Ashley

"Skip Turner via CatKB.com" wrote in message
Hello,

I know that pretty much everybody on this website is going to disagree
with
me about letting cats outside, but I really don't believe in making my
cats
life miserable.

I got him from a shelter two months ago, and have had him inside until
yesterday. He spends all day crying at the windows. So the past couple
days, I have let him out (I live in a bungalow in Santa Monica). I have
been following him around as he sniffs the shared yard out front.

If you've had him inside for two months, he will now know the inside of your
house as his safe territory. As long as you continue feeding him, and
continue ensuring he feels inside is his safe territory, he will keep coming
back. You might like to invest in a cat door, which will make it easy for
him to come inside when he wants.

And make sure you get him micro-chipped, if that's done in your area, and/or
get a neck tag for him with his name and your phone number, so that if he
does decide to wander for any reason, anyone who finds him can contact you
to come and pick him up.

Old March 28th 05, 09:56 AM
Skip Turner via CatKB.com

Thanks for writing back...

He's microchipped, all caught up on shots and has a collar with my info on
it. I also have a cat door on my back door. I just don't know if he'll ever
use it. I don't even think he knows it exists...

How long do you figure I should follow him around outside before I just let
him go? I'm worried that he won't know his way back...

Anyone else been through this?

Thanks!

Old March 28th 05, 09:59 AM
Dave

In message "Skip Turner via
CatKB.com" wrote:

Thanks for writing back...

He's microchipped, all caught up on shots and has a collar with my info on
it. I also have a cat door on my back door. I just don't know if he'll ever
use it. I don't even think he knows it exists...

Have you shown him the door?

Old March 28th 05, 10:07 AM
Ashley

"Skip Turner via CatKB.com" wrote in message
Thanks for writing back...

He's microchipped, all caught up on shots and has a collar with my info on
it. I also have a cat door on my back door. I just don't know if he'll
ever
use it. I don't even think he knows it exists...

How long do you figure I should follow him around outside before I just
let
him go? I'm worried that he won't know his way back...

Anyone else been through this?

Thanks!

My cats I first allowed outside only with me, when they were around 6 months
old. At that age, they're wanting to stick pretty close to Mum anyway. I did
that for about a month before I'd allow them a little freedom. Your cat is
older - the answer is I don't really know. Certainly for about a week I'd
make sure I was always with him when he was outside, but he may have ideas
of his own, having been an outdoor cat before. It's a good idea to let him
outside while he's still hungry (eg, early in the morning, before his
morning feed) so he gets to orientate himself while still wondering when the
food's going to arrive inside for a while.

Old March 28th 05, 03:05 PM
Skip Turner via CatKB.com

Dear God, I spend the last three hours of my day playing with him with the
feather toy, and his catnip mouse. I have to wear him out for an hour,
before we can go to bed (he joins me). then after about three hours he gets
up and cries all night (in my one bedroom place).

I've been up for the last two hours and I'm so tired.

I have to be at work at 9 and I'm on almost no sleep. Ever since I started
letting him out, he just won't shut up. All he wants is to go out.

Well about 30 minutes ago I gave him his wish. Then i tried to go back to
bed. I couldn't, of course, sleep. He was hiding under the house, then when
he did come up - he walked away from me. Down the pathway and into the
street, Hid under a car, and walked over to the neighboring apartment
building until I grabbed him.

That was the farthest he has gone, and he was trotting recklessly without
sniffing. I don't think he would have found his way back.

Now he's back in the house, ****ed at me, and wants to go out more then
ever. I'll never get back to sleep and I hate life.

We have a great time together. He has cat furniture, catnip, toys, we play
ALL the time. I bring over the neighbors cats to play with him. He sleeps
with me, sleeps on my lap is always purring.

But he wants out. And I have no idea what to do.

I just need sleep!

Old March 28th 05, 03:20 PM
purelife

"Skip Turner via CatKB.com" wrote in message
Hello,

If anybody could please help me with letting a new cat outdoors - and the
steps I should take...

Thanks!

What about a building an enclosure for your cat?

http://www.thecatsden.net/index.html

http://www.thecatsden.net/gallery.html

Old March 28th 05, 04:03 PM

[...]

I have 5 cats, 2 of which LOVE to go out. We live in the country in a
wintry climate. When spring comes they sit at the door. When they go
out, we go out with them and sit and watch, maybe read a little, have
an iced tea, etc. We usually let them out twice a day for about an
hour. They love this and I think it has made the quality of their lives
better. But, I do want to emphasize that we stay out with them.

Old March 28th 05, 05:15 PM
Monique Y. Mudama

On 2005-03-28, Skip Turner via CatKB.com penned:

For those people. How can I introduce him to the outside? When can he start
going out unattended? Will he ever want to come in on his own? He was feral,
I believe, before I got him... Does this mean he is a wanderer in spirit,
and won't be coming back?

Is he neutered? That will make a difference.

Especially if he was feral, you want to make really sure he knows you're his
meal ticket (or, if you prefer, that he loves you) before letting him wander.

--
monique, who spoils Oscar unmercifully