Cat gnawing on wires

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old April 14th 09, 09:41 PM posted to alt.pets.cats,rec.pets.cats.health+behav
[email protected]

Default Cat gnawing on wires

On Apr 14, 1:15*am, jamina1 wrote:

I'm just kind of troubled as what to do here. I am currently
unemployed and can't afford to continuously replace these things she's
eating through - nor do I want to wake up and find her electrocuted! I
tried hot sauce, I tried Curry paste - Help!

Better living through chemistry.

There are several aerosol sprays for the purpose that keep cats (and
dogs) away from entire areas if necessary. This stuff has a bit of an
odor on first application but that goes away quickly. And, after a few
days, the cats simply get used to not going to that location anyway.

As to hot sauces, curry, mustard, even straight capsicum, we have
found over the years that (at least) our cats seem to prefer strong
flavors and are entirely unimpressed with even triple-heat flavors if
delivered by-mouth. And we would never put out something such that the
cat could be damaged by getting it in its eyes via washing or other
means.

But you *may* have two problems - the identifiable one with the cat
chewing wires, and the more subtle one as to why the cat is chewing
wires. This is not any sort of natural behavior other than the dangle-
factor with kittens and so is either displacement or boredom or (just
barely remotely possible) some sort of defficiency or irritation that
has the cat looking for something - may such as salt or some mineral,
or its gums itch and chewing 'rubbery stuff' calms the itch - teething
kittens come to mind immediately for this drive.

No-Spray will address the first issue. Perhaps a few toys
strategically place throughout the house will help with the second.
Kitty greens (or just sprouted popcorn for-cheap) will help with
roughage, tooth-cleaning and trace minerals. The oils from fresh
catnip will sooth itchy gums.

For toys, something as simple as a bulky neoprene O-ring (a few cents
at a plumbing supply) on the end of a ribbon hanging from a doorknob
does well. The rubber is inert and very tough, but chews and claws
nicely.

And if nothing helps, if a kitten (or a cat) chews through the output
cord from a 12VDC wall-wart, they won't get enough current to harm
them but they will get a massive jingle. I do not recommend or suggest
this. But it could be a lot worse than if they nail a 120V line in
your absence - negative reinforcement is always the very last resort.

Foil is effective, but a massive PITA to run throughout the house on
every cord, wire or pull-string.

Peter Wieck
Melrose Park, PA