Medical OT

Old January 18th 12, 05:26 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Winnie

Default kindle

On Jan 17, 11:44*pm, Sherry wrote:
On Jan 17, 7:27*pm, Winnie wrote:

On Jan 17, 3:49*pm, Jack Campin wrote:

But the joy of an electronic reading device, even if its the size of a
phone (not the best reading platform) is that you can download fanfic
and other unpublished not-for-profit works.

I would be more joyful if the things were big enough that I could
display sheet music big enough to use with my crap eyesight. *There
is a vast amount available free, and at present I need to print it
out before I can use any of it.

Another thing I like about an e-reader is I can adjust the font,
Same goes for reading e-books on my PC.
I checked out books in large print from the library and they are
to be thicker, and so heavier than books with regular print.
So now I don't have tbother with large prints books unless they
don't have e-versions.
Winnie

DH bought an iPad for me once when I was in the hospital. I was
very chagrined about it, (I would never have spent the money for it)
But I have to say I have really, really, enjoyed it. A favorite
feature
is the iBooks. The screen is large, the font is adjustable, and best
of
all, it's backlit so I can read in the dark. And I don't have problems
with
eyestrain like I do with smallprint books. One petpeeve I have about
books
lately is that they seem to be printing words all the way into the
spine
sometimes.
iBooks has a good selection of books, plus lots of free ones. And most
offer very generous "samples" -- as little as 15 pages to as much as
60
pages -- for free. I can also buy from Amazon from the Kindle store.
One big drawback is that I can't "share" books after I'm finished with
them.

I also love the bookmark feature, and the "dictionary" feature. Just
press down
on a word, and the definition comes up. I'm sure that's on Kindle
also.

Sherry

Sherry

I almost bought an iPad on Black Friday as it was on sale.
But the sale price is still a bit steep for me. I heard on the news
that iPad was the most asked for Christmas gift.
I ended up buying an e-reader at a much lower price. -- Winnie
Old January 18th 12, 06:29 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
[email protected]

Sherry wrote:

DH bought an iPad for me once when I was in the hospital. I was
very chagrined about it, (I would never have spent the money for it)
But I have to say I have really, really, enjoyed it. A favorite
feature
is the iBooks. The screen is large, the font is adjustable

When you enlarge the font, does the text redo the line breaks so it
looks normal in the larger font? On some websites, if you make the
text larger, it looks messy because the lines break in new places,
but the old line breaks are still there. That would interfere with
my reading pleasure.

One big drawback is that I can't "share" books after I'm finished with
them.

Yes! My friends and I are always lending each other books. Sometimes
these loans end up permanent, but it's still worth it. (The permanent
loans go both ways, after all. )

I'm sure someone will figure out how to transfer files from one e-reader
to another, so you wouldn't have to lend someone the kindle itself to
lend them a book. Yes, that would be stealing, but is it any more so than
borrowing a hardcopy book? Oh, I suppose it would be, because you'd be
making a copy, and most people don't copy books (but if they did, that
would also be an infringement). I guess to do it legally, you could delete
your own copy of an e-book while someone else had it.

I also love the bookmark feature, and the "dictionary" feature. Just
press down on a word, and the definition comes up.

Ooo, that's great! My vocabulary would definitely improve with that.
Usually when I come across a word I don't know, I'm too lazy to go look
it up, so I try to guess from context what it means.

This is a very informative thread for me. Whenever it comes to pass that
I decide to shop for e-book readers, I'll have some ideas about features
I'd like it to have.

--
Joyce

"Bacteria, with a few more bells and whistles."
-- Bonnie Bassler, describing human beings
Old January 18th 12, 09:34 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
MaryL[_2_]

wrote in message ...

Sherry wrote:

[...]

- - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Yes, line breaks are adjusted when the font is changed. You can also read
in either portrait or landscape views.

Kindle now has a feature where you can "lend" a book to a friend who has a
Kindle. I haven't done this yet, but my sister has. I think the book can
only be loaned for 14 days at a time, and it can only be read on one Kindle
at a time. In other words, you could not read it at the same time as
someone else. You would need to finish reading it, then lend it to another
person. When that person has finished with the book, he/she removes it from
their Kindle and it will reappear on yours. It took my sister about 2
seconds and a couple of "clicks" to do that.

Kindle remembers where you were when you stopped reading. If you are
reading 3 books, you will automatically return to the last-read page when
you return to an earlier book. If it is a reference book or some other book
where you would like to easily return to certain locations, you can enter
any number of bookmarks.

Finally: You can read Kindle in bright sunlight. It does not wash out in
the way we often see with cameras and other electronic devices. I took it
to the beach last summer. While my friends were sunbathing, I sat in a
beach chair and read.

MaryL

Old January 18th 12, 09:45 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Lesley[_4_]

On Jan 17, 9:22*pm, wrote:

Friends? You mean Quakers?

Nope- the "Friends" in question are an organisation of volunteers who
run a shop and the outpatients tea bar as well as holding various
events (including book sales , which are very dangerous for me) to
raise money for extra things for the patients like better chairs in a
waiting room or a new TV for a day room etc

Lesley

Slave of the Fabulous Furballs
Old January 18th 12, 10:19 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Adrian[_4_]

Winnie wrote:

The Kobo Vox I bought early this month is 7.57 in by 5.06 in.
An iPad (with which you can do e-reading) is bigger, and heavier.
Winnie

I like the idea of an iPad but they're expensive and I've just had to pay a
very large bill for car repairs which I wasn't expecting.

I bought my mother a Kindle for Xmas and she loves it.

--
Adrian
Old January 18th 12, 12:03 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
jmcquown[_2_]

"Winnie" wrote in message
On Jan 17, 7:39 am, "jmcquown" wrote:
wrote in message

... MaryL wrote:

Do you like to read? I have a Kindle, and I absolutely love it. I
held
off
for a long time because I have always liked the feel of a book in my
hands.

(snippage)

I still love the feel of a book in my hands. My books aren't lighted.
They
don't need to be.

Well, I got a lighted cover and that gives the feel of a book. It
can
be
balanced on my knees or on a pillow on my lap, so it's easy to use,
land
the
light enables me to read in the dark if I lose power. I can keep any
number
of books on it instead of carrying a stack of books around with me.

(snippage)

Who, other than a student, carries a stack of books around? I read about
3
books a week. Just one book at a time, so carrying one is really not a
hardship.

Many times when I go to the library, I checked out more than one book.
I don't have a car and it is difficult for me to make frequent trips
to the library,
especially in the winter. I used to carry books in my backpack, just
like a student.
Then I do my grocery from the supermarket next to the library. I
never
know when I will be stuck at home with all the snow and freeing
rain. So I
always stock up on groceries.

Starting a new thread here. I have some questions about the Kindle. Can
you
get any book at all for the Kindle? It doesn't seem like that would be
the
case, since that would mean that every book in existence has been
digitized,
and I seriously doubt that.

I doubt that, too, Joyce. What if I want to read the latest greatest
book?
Oh, sorry, they don't offer it yet. And I'd rather not carry around an
electronic tablet which, if I dropped it, would most likely break. The
worst thing that ever happened to an actual book I had was it was left
outside and got rained on. I don't want to think about the cost of
replacing a Kindle if I left it sitting on the table outside during a
storm.

True. But one has to treat an e-reader like your wallet, laptop, or
cell phone.
Many of the latest e-reader models have Wi Fi and you can go on the
web.
Depending on the apps installed, you can use it for other purposes
besides reading.

Anyway, different strokes for different folks.
Winnie

Ah, but we are different. I don't need an e-reader and I don't carry around
a laptop. Mine has a permanent place in on the desk in my living room. So
we'll agree to disagree about a Kindle.

Jill

Old January 18th 12, 12:15 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
MaryL[_2_]

Who, other than a student, carries a stack of books around? I read about
3
books a week. Just one book at a time, so carrying one is really not a
hardship.

- - - - - - - - -

I'm not sure who wrote those lines, so I have snipped the attributions.
Anyway, the answer to the question of who carries a stack of books around,
the answer is: "I do." I travel a lot, and I like to take books with me.
In addition, I have a number of reference books on my Kindle (photography
guides, Bible, travel guides, various manuals, etc.). With Kindle, I easily
carry them all in one little device that is about the size of a paperback
book.

MaryL

Old January 18th 12, 02:00 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Winnie

On Jan 18, 5:19*am, Adrian wrote:
Winnie wrote:
The Kobo Vox I bought early this month is 7.57 in by 5.06 in.
An iPad (with which you can do e-reading) is bigger, and heavier.
Winnie

I like the idea of an iPad but they're expensive and I've just had to pay a
very large bill for car repairs which I wasn't expecting.

I bought my mother a Kindle for Xmas and she loves it.

--
Adrian

Same here. There are other major expenses coming out soon for me.
So the e-reader I ended up buying is about half the price of an iPad.
Sure it does not have all the functions of an iPad but it meets my
needs right
now which is mainly e-reading. It has Wi Fi so I can even get on the
web.
Winnie
Old January 18th 12, 11:04 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Joy

"MaryL" wrote in message

Who, other than a student, carries a stack of books around? I read
about 3
books a week. Just one book at a time, so carrying one is really not a
hardship.

- - - - - - - - -

I'm not sure who wrote those lines, so I have snipped the attributions.
Anyway, the answer to the question of who carries a stack of books around,
the answer is: "I do." I travel a lot, and I like to take books with me.
In addition, I have a number of reference books on my Kindle (photography
guides, Bible, travel guides, various manuals, etc.). With Kindle, I
easily carry them all in one little device that is about the size of a
paperback book.

MaryL

I think a Kindle would be wonderful for traveling! My travel budget has run
out, but when I was traveling, I would buy used paperbacks and take a stack
with me. Then, as I finished one, I'd leave it in the hotel room, the
pocket on the back of the airline seat, or wherever I was when I finished
it. That way, somebody else could enjoy it, and I didn't have to carry it
around any more.

Joy