Great carriers for small pets

Old November 4th 10, 01:02 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
MaryL

Default Great carriers for small pets

I just bought two of these IRIS carriers for Holly and Duffy. I already
have soft-sided carriers, but it is torture for both them and me to make use
of those carriers. Holly basically grows 8 legs when I try to get her into
one of them, and Duffy grows 16! The carriers often collapse during the
struggle to get my twosome into them for visits to the vet. Then, I came
across a picture of this new (at least, new to me) carrier. The carrier
looks very much like a picnic basket, and I love the way the entire top
closes and locks effortlessly. The one drawback is that they are smaller
than the dimensions sound. Holly and Duffy weigh a little less than 9
pounds each, but they are long enough that they pretty much fill the
carrier. As a result, I don't think these would be suitable for large cats.
It's a brilliant design, and I wrote to the manufacturer to suggest that
they also produce one that is longer. You can see pictures at the links
below.

Amazon.com - available in both green and tan (oddly, the green costs more):
http://www.amazon.com/IRIS-Pet-Carri...8828211&sr=8-1

-or- http://tinyurl.com/2cf3xps

Walmart - again, available in green and tan (same cost, "in between" the
cost of the two at amazon):
http://www.walmart.com/search/search...h_constraint=0

-or- http://tinyurl.com/25my3yj

MaryL

Old November 5th 10, 03:06 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
MaryL

"Sara Jane" wrote in message

[...]

The top-load function is a great idea. We have a side-load carrier that
we've turned into a top-load carrier: the top half is removed just by
removing the easily turned screws. It's less scary for a cat to have the
top taken off during a vet exam, then being pulled out of the side-loading
door.
One of the Amazon reviews mentioned "flimsy" plastic. (I take Amazon
website reviews with a grain of salt; who knows who wrote them.) What is
your impression of the carrier sturdiness and the plastic? Thanks.

I was also concerned about that, but it seems fine to me now that I have had
an opportunity to look at them carefully. Of course, mine will be used for
two cats of about 9 pounds each and will not be used frequently (just for
trips to the vet). I like the fact that they can be easily wiped out and
cleaned in the event of an "accident."

MaryL