question potential for adopting - longish

Old August 18th 03, 07:21 PM
Jette Goldie

"Tanada" wrote in message
"EvelynVogtGamble(Divamanque)" wrote:

Tanada wrote:

Poor Brenna, you just showed her that hoomins can shrink a superior
species. Miniature cats are proof that we are messing with the

dominant
species. Berfert is terrified of miniature cats and hoomins, as he
KNOWS they are out to get him. Poor old paranoid alcoholic kitty.

Ummm...."alcoholic"????

Berfert is an alky. He used to drink just about any alcohol he could
get his little tongue into. We had to put him on the wagon several
times. For some reason, right after we moved here, he decided that as
much as he loves booze, he can't handle it. So he hangs out with the
boozers, but refuses drinks. He's also has a great pair of noids.

I remember reading somewhere that cat's don't *normally*
like alcohol, but if stressed, they *can* become addicted to
its effects. I remember George (when he was a tiny kitten)
lapping up some liqueur out of my glass when my friend and
I were lying on the floor drinking (it was a girly night ) and
getting quite tipsy. After that he acted like a Wee Free
and used to give you the most arch glares if he smelled
alcohol on your breath or in your glass. (sniff - GLARE-
tail swish, walk off in high dudgeon)

--
Jette
"Work for Peace and remain Fiercely Loving" - Jim Byrnes

http://www.jette.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/

Old August 19th 03, 12:09 AM
Tanada

Jette Goldie wrote:

I remember reading somewhere that cat's don't *normally*
like alcohol, but if stressed, they *can* become addicted to
its effects. I remember George (when he was a tiny kitten)
lapping up some liqueur out of my glass when my friend and
I were lying on the floor drinking (it was a girly night ) and
getting quite tipsy. After that he acted like a Wee Free
and used to give you the most arch glares if he smelled
alcohol on your breath or in your glass. (sniff - GLARE-
tail swish, walk off in high dudgeon)

I dunno about other cats, or stress, but Berf has always been a sort of
oddball. Neither Rob or I drink booze and he had to get it from our
guests who bring their own or do without. I suspect it was the novelty
of it that attracted him, as it was rarely available in our house. We
now have a couple of our gamer friends who keep their beer stored here
and have a bottle or two while gaming. Since they started having a
drink or two on a weekly basis, Berf is no longer interested in beer.
Strange cat.

Pam S.
Old August 19th 03, 10:35 AM
Helen Miles

One of the best ways I found of introducing fosters (and adopted cats)
with HRFL Tiger was to establish and area which was the original cats
exclusive territory - in this case my bedroom. As HRFL Tiger tolerated
the cat more and more, the cat was allowed more and more of a run in the
house. I also re-inforced Tigers alpha status - he was allowed to
discipline the "interloper" and get away with murder, the new cat wasn't
allowed to discipline Tiger apart from self defence. (If that makes
sense?). Of course...it completely backfired, and I made a tyranical
Alpha cat who is convinced he is God (Hence the name, His Royal Feline
Lordship Tiger) but it did get to the stage that all Tiger would do is
snill the new foster and say "oh anotherone - I'm the boss, have a nice
life".

Helen M