Help!

Old May 18th 04, 04:06 PM
kaeli

In article ,
enlightened us with...

"kaeli" wrote in message
In article ,
enlightened us with...
If she had children, would she just wait to take them to the doctor if
they were injured?

Can a doctor refuse treatment until getting half the money up front? No.
Can a vet? Yup.

The following excerpts are "codes of conduct". Some vets follow them.
Some don't. Some places have laws. Some don't. I have no clue where you
live, so I don't know what relevancy this has, if any.

http://www.vsb.nsw.gov.au/pages/codecon.htm
(3) A veterinary surgeon who provides veterinary services directly to
the public should not, without good reason, refuse to provide relief of
pain or suffering of an animal. Relief may be confined to emergency
treatment only or immediate referral to another veterinary surgeon.

http://www.state.ma.us/reg/boards/vt/cmr/25607.htm
(22) A veterinarian shall not refuse to provide treatment to an animal
unless such refusal is based on reasons such as the inadequacy of the
facilities then available, failure to reach a mutual agreement with the
owner regarding services, or the unavailability of all-night veterinary
medical care for the animal. Where treatment is refused for such
reasons, a veterinarian shall provide first aid if the animal is already
on the veterinary office premises, and provide advice for, or arrange,
an alternative source of veterinary medical care.

Anyone reading this, please sign the petition to have an animal bill of
rights for emergencies like people. I don't know if it will help, but
sign it anyway.
http://www.petitionpetition.com/cgi/...on.cgi?id=6988

It isn't kind to take on animals you can't afford to keep well and
healthy. It's cruel when something like this happens and the animal has
to suffer for days before it can be treated.

Well as a matter of fact, she could afford to keep the cats when she got
them, but circumstances change. Now she spends a hefty chunk of her meagre
income on Medi-Cal food for them.

Circumstances DO change. That's why we have no-kill shelters, adoption
agencies, and online sites to help rehome pets.

Where I live, she could be arrested for cruelty for failing to get
medical care for her cat. No matter how much a person loves their pets,
it is cruel and selfish to keep them if they can't afford to properly
get care in an emergency.

Perhaps you would like to adopt one or more of them? One ginger tom, very
affectionate. One long-haired orange tom, also quite affectionate. She's
not parting with the injured kitty for her life.

I'd be more than happy to help her find a home for them if she'd like.
I'm full with two adoptees and a store rescue. I don't try to care for
more than I can afford to keep (I'd be one of those people with 50 cats
if I had room and money for them). There are many no-kill shelters and
online adoption sites. I'd be happy to try to help her find one in her
area if she needs help. The people I adopted my Jeffrey from might have
some contacts.
I suspect she wants to keep them and you were trying to be cute.

Good luck and I hope the cat turns out all right.

She saw the vet today...nothing broken, no injury to palate. Tigger was
given an appetite stimulant and is now wolfing down wet food like there's no
tomorrow. She's been put on antibiotics as the vet suspected a throat
infection.

I'm glad to hear the cat is doing better.

My friend was quoted, over the phone, $400 for emergency treatment. Taking
the cat to a different vet today cost her $196.00. As she can't even afford
that, the saving of $200 is significant. Luckily her ex's sister-in-law
works at that vet's office and probably got her a hefty discount.

It always pays to have family in the right places. *g*

I hope the kitty has a full and swift recovery.
Please do check into getting some sort of emergency contingency care for
these cats, just in case, god forbid, something else happens. My vet has
a credit line you can apply for so you can make payments. Perhaps her
vet has something similar?

If I knew what city you were in, I might be able to help more with that.

~kaeli~
Why did kamikaze pilots wear helmets?
http://www.ipwebdesign.net/wildAtHeart
http://www.ipwebdesign.net/kaelisSpace

Old May 19th 04, 03:27 AM
Toni from T.O.

"kaeli" wrote in message

I'd be more than happy to help her find a home for them if she'd like.
I'm full with two adoptees and a store rescue. I don't try to care for
more than I can afford to keep (I'd be one of those people with 50 cats
if I had room and money for them). There are many no-kill shelters and
online adoption sites. I'd be happy to try to help her find one in her
area if she needs help. The people I adopted my Jeffrey from might have
some contacts.
I suspect she wants to keep them and you were trying to be cute.

Well, dammit, I am cute! I had a home lined up for the ginger tom once, but
my friend changed her mind at the last minute. I think this experience might
make her reconsider, however.

I'm writing from Toronto, Canada. If anyone in the area is interested in a
young (3-4 years old) male , neutered, ginger, affectionate, great purrer,
email me (remove nospam from addy) and let's talk. He's an outdoor cat, has
his claws and must stay that way.

Toni

Old May 19th 04, 03:30 PM
kaeli

In article ,
enlightened us with...

"kaeli" wrote in message

I'd be more than happy to help her find a home for them if she'd like.
I'm full with two adoptees and a store rescue. I don't try to care for
more than I can afford to keep (I'd be one of those people with 50 cats
if I had room and money for them). There are many no-kill shelters and
online adoption sites. I'd be happy to try to help her find one in her
area if she needs help. The people I adopted my Jeffrey from might have
some contacts.
I suspect she wants to keep them and you were trying to be cute.

Well, dammit, I am cute!

But are you single?
*g*

I had a home lined up for the ginger tom once, but
my friend changed her mind at the last minute. I think this experience might
make her reconsider, however.

I'm writing from Toronto, Canada. If anyone in the area is interested in a
young (3-4 years old) male , neutered, ginger, affectionate, great purrer,
email me (remove nospam from addy) and let's talk. He's an outdoor cat, has
his claws and must stay that way.

The following sites might help your friend.

http://www.artzwild.com/cat/ (rescue)

http://www.lovemypets.com/lmp/Rescue...entCategory=53
&ShowTheCategory=1 (rescue)

http://www.freeanimals.org/ (animal rights for the area; may have info
on discount vet services)

http://www.petcareinsurance.com/can/index.asp (pet insurance for canada)

http://www.torontohumanesociety.com/...sServices.html (has a food
bank and other services)

http://www.cfhs.ca/ (canadian federation of humane societies - write to
them and they may have info on low-cost services in your area)

Hope all turns out well here.

~kaeli~
Never mess up an apology with an excuse.

Old May 19th 04, 03:30 PM
kaeli

In article ,
enlightened us with...