Bansect flea/tick collar

Old May 21st 04, 07:30 AM
Knack

Thanks for the research. Very informative. And your previous replies to the
other post dated 5-19-04 are also very good too.

"Jim D" wrote in message
news
Bansect Flea and Tick Collar for Cats (and for Dogs) is officially
registered an a "pesticide" in the state of Nevada. Pesticides are
registered because they are toxic chemicals. The Nevada registration does
not include information about just what in the product is toxic.

http://agri.nv.gov/Chem0.htm

http://agri.nv.gov/chem/list1/pestlist1.htm

http://agri.nv.gov/chem/list1/pes025...%20PET%20PRODU
CTS%20INC

Bansect is made by Sergeant's. The Sergeant's web site states that the
active ingredient in Bansect is Naled. The US Environmental Protection
Agency (EPA) says the following about Naled:

http://www.epa.gov/pesticides/op/naled/naledsum.htm

a.. There are dermal and inhalation exposure concerns from handling pet

flea
collars. The exposure includes putting the collar around the neck of the
animal as well as petting/playing with the animal. Flea collars containing
less than 1.4 grams of naled are not of concern for adult long-term
exposure. However, these collars exceed the level of concern for children
(MOE = 21 - 74). For products that contain more than 1.4 grams of naled

the
risks are a concern for both adults and children (MOE = 10 - 83).

In summary, Naled is a neuro-toxin, or phosphate-based nerve agent, that
causes respiratory failure in mammals. Flea collars containing Naled can

be
dangerous to children from the handling of the collar and/or the pet

wearing
the collar.

No flea and tick collar that uses toxic chemicals can be called safe, much
less absolutely safe.

*Sergeant's and Bansect are registered trademarks.

"Knack" wrote in message
nk.net...
So far, no fleas or ticks on any of my four cats who have been wearing
Bansect collars for the past 12 days. They stay outside for about 10-12
hours per day (on non-rainy days) during this time of year.

A Google search of newsgroups didn't turn up anything negative about the

use
of this product, but...

Although my sense of smell is very poor, I detect a powerful odor from

all
four of the Bansect collars, even after almost two weeks since they were
unpackaged. Have to wonder about kitty's (and my own) respiratory

exposure
to the fumes that Bansect gives off. The manufacturer even warns the
customer to wash his/her hands after handling this product.

Hmmm... maybe it would be OK to have kitty wear it perhaps only twice a
week, storing it in an air-tight container when not in use?

Old May 21st 04, 07:37 AM
Knack

"James Marz" wrote in message
om...
"Knack" wrote in message

ink.net...
[...]

Bansect collars are the best. They smell odd, but are absolutely
harmless, I have been using them on my cats for a long time with no
problems.

James

How long have you had the collars in use? During this season only, or
previous seasons? Do the cats sleep with them on too? Are they farm cats or
are they frequently handled cats? Are their ears always warm when the
collars are on them?