Rant: People Who Dump Cats

Old July 7th 04, 10:28 PM
Sunflower

"Luvskats00" wrote in message

Is the breeder licensed?

Are you that seriously out of touch? Breeders don't have "licenses". Any
idiot with two intact animals can breed and make new crosses or any damn
thing they please. *If* the two animals happen to be the same breed, then
the progeny can be registered with whatever registration body they were
originally registered with, providing the breeder doesn't owe them money or
something. Or one of the "make up your own breed and we'll register it for
you" sanctioning bodies will happily provide "papers" for the new Orange
Tail-less Alleycats with Folded Ears. Just pay them the money. ANd then
you can sell, sell, sell!

Can the AKC do anything?

Um, AKC is the American Kennel Club, and they don't have squat to do with
cats. They have a hard enough time trying to resolve squabbles within the
dog community. Just look at what's happened with JRTs.

I don't think legitimate
breeders are allowed to go around and attempt to create new breeds.

People do any damn thing they please. Breeding of dogs and cats in this
country isn't "controlled" by any governing body that could administer
handslaps to it's naughty individuals. "Legitimate breeders" as you term it
would not condone many practices that BYB do, but they don't have any
control or influence either. Only the public with it's mighty dollar
purchasing power has any influence over cretinous activity. If somone won't
buy something, then it will no longer be produced. As long as BYBs are
receiving the positive reinforcement of dollars, they'll continue to do
whatever they want to do. Including making trial matings to produce new
breeds and then dumping the kittens that aren't up to their mysterious
specifications.

Old July 8th 04, 04:12 PM
disgruntled hamster

What beautiful kittens! Though the responsibility never should have
fallen on you, I imagine you'll have no problem finding wonderful
homes for these two.. particularly if they're well socialized.

As far as the longhair trait being present in mixed-breeds, depends on
the area you live in. In southern New England, for example, (where I'm
from), longhaired cats of mixed parentage are very, very common. Many
of the strays and ferals trapped here- including a very handsome boy I
own who probably would have been nearly identical to these two as a
young kitten- are gorgeous longhairs. In fact, (somebody correct me if
I am wrong!) I believe the Maine Coon breed actually originated from a
population of large, random-bred attractive longhair kitties that were
prevalent in Maine. If you travel to other parts of the country, or
other parts of the world, there are definite differences in the
appearances of the mixed-breed cat population, including differences
in the prevalence of certain colors, builds, and coat types.

My guess is that somebody didn't bother to get their cat/s spayed /
neutered, and either had a larger litter, wasn't able to quickly home
all the kittens and was too damn lazy to do the responsible thing and
find good homes for them.. or only had two survivors and was still too
damn lazy to do the responsible thing and find good homes for them.

If you have a problem with selfish, irresponsible people taking
advantage of your kindness and dropping cats and kittens off at your
doorstep on a regular basis, I don't know where you live, but in many
places, this is considered an act of cruelty, and if you are able to
trace any of the cats / kittens back to their original owners, it's
punishable by law.

All three of my cats are in one way or another, a product of the
abandonment problem in our area- (one was born to an abandoned cat we
trapped, one was feral, and one was left out in the rain overnight in
the parking lot where I work in a little cardboard box that was duct
taped shut and labeled with something along the lines of ‘Abandoned
Kitty. Left Here and Nobody Wanted Her.') It makes me sick to think of
the things that each of these cats experienced (traumatic injuries,
untreated potentially dangerous birth defects, coyote attacks, minor
brain injury and resulting behavior issues from an emergency C-section
because "mom" was too small and young to carry the massive tom's
equally massive kittens to term and birth them naturally), and sicker
to think of all the cats out there who weren't so lucky.

It's time for these people to take responsibility for their actions..
low cost (and in some areas, even free) spay and neuter programs are
available nationally, and there are numerous shelter and foster groups
out there, though it may take a little searching to find one who's
able to take the kittens- there's absolutely no need for anyone to
dump their cats.

/end rant.

Old July 8th 04, 11:22 PM
Cowa Bungie

"Goat Roper" wrote in message news:orAGc.66058

She was a real blessing for the 15 or so years she lived with us!

Your story was a real blessing for me, because my former stray is @15
years old, and it was great to hear someone else talk about an old
coo-o- I mean an old cat as a "blessing."

Sherry, my heart goes out to you. I happen to be a Fundamentalist
Christian, and you know what makes me doubt my faith the most?
Stories like yours. If you believe as I do, your response to such a
painful situation is, Well, Jesus, if You're really going to come
again, why don't you get off your divine Butt and get busy
establishing the paradise where the innocent will no longer suffer?

I'm very sorry if I offend anyone by speaking so bluntly, but (as some
of the people who've responded to this thread will know) I've also had
a *major* animal-related heartache this week--see my post about an
alcoholic pet-collecting relative. I'm spiritually exhausted this
week, and since my God just happens to have a name and personality,
I'm mad as H!&l at Him tonight.

Please don't read further if you're easily offended, but know what my
prayer is tonight? "Poo or get off the pot, Jesus. Enough suffering.
Enough, enough, enough."

Old July 9th 04, 12:19 AM
Sherry

Please don't read further if you're easily offended, but know what my
prayer is tonight? "Poo or get off the pot, Jesus. Enough suffering.
Enough, enough, enough."

Yeah, well, maybe there was a verse or two inadvertently left out of the Good
Book. Somthing like "Woe be unto the fool who dumps baby kittens on thy
neighbor the crazy cat lady. Thy punishment will be swift and sure, and thou
shalt spend eternity in a big stinky litterbox that hasn't been changed in a
year."

Sherry

Sherry