RIP My old friend

Old November 23rd 09, 11:28 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes,rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Christina Websell[_2_]

Default RIP My old friend

Matthew wrote:
I just got back inside from burying my old friend of 15 plus
years. His name was Phantom; my grouchy Old man. I buried him next
to Spirit. I wrapped him in some towels and a nice box. I decorate
the grave in red tone chipped bricks.

Last night after I asked for the purrs. Phantom became much
weaker. He tried to jump up on a table and fell. He just laid there
in a odd facing fashion and did not move. When I picked him up to
move him back to his perch after making sure he was ok. He was very
weak barely able to stand. He has not been eating much, drinking
water yes. His kidney were giving out from my final observations
today. I laid awake most of the night thinking about this and
checking on him. He had been a big cat going from about 16 pounds to
6 pounds since his hyperthyroidism set in. He had not been himself
for a few days. I was hoping it was like before a few months ago.
This morning I knew it was time to face one of my greatest fears.
Me and Mom drove him to the emergency clinic that he was taken too
not to long ago when we found out he had hyperthyroidism. I did the
special whistle I had been doing for him over the last 15 years. Every
time he heard before in the past. He would pop up from where
ever and come to me for loving and kisses. He meowed a few times and
had his special purr that he does, all the way to the end. I held
his head in my hands and focused into his eyes. I told him I love
him so much and thanked him for being my friend for so long. It was
very quick before the vet was even done he was gone. I closed his
eyes after the vet checked and told him travel safe my friend I Love
you. I was crying like a baby when I said this. I still am as I
write this.
The vet and the staff were very pleasant and compassionate. The
gentleman vet put his hand on my back and told me I was a very lucky
man to have him in my life for so long. I know I was. I already feel
so empty though. The vet also told me that I was a good man for
giving the greatest gift I could give. Am I a good man ???. I don't
feel like it. I will always have my doubts when the time was right.
I think we all have felt this way. It is a demon I must face once
again. I miss him so much already. I know I will see all of them
again when it is my time. I pray the gods find forgiveness in their
hearts to let me be with my proud masters of before. I pray for
redemption for any trespasses I might do or have done in my life to
be with the ones that I love.

My heart goes out to you, Matthew. I don't think anyone knows what is
exactly the right time. Is it too soon or perhaps too late? We just do
what we think is right.
Are you a good man? Yes, of course you are, you did what you had to.
Don't beat yourself up.
(hugs)
Tweed