Cat Houses

Old January 17th 04, 06:55 AM
Jim Witte

Default Cat Houses

I wish I were good at building things.
I'd love to build a really complex cat tree slash playhouse thing (floor
to ceiling) for the kids. Buying the kind I'm thinking of is just too
cost prohibitive. Last one I saw that I really liked was like $500.
So, they have two smaller trees with little condo perches and a tube.

I had an idea a couple of months ago to start building cat houses and
towers. I was at PetSmart, and saw this simple (to me) little (well, not
that little) cat tower - two story rectangular, enclosed with diamond
holes in the sides, sissel rope around the posters at the corners between
the levels, and an angle ramp between each one, all covered in carpet.
Price: $300 or $400 - I forget which.

Then I go on the Internet and find some place that's selling "cat
palaces". Their most elaborate model - 4 or 5 levels, dangling strings,
three or four platforms on each level, was something like $425.

Another thing I noticed was that all the palaces I saw were basically
rectanglar in shape - there was nothing triangular, and rarely ever any
curved parts (though that's harder with wood). I think even a scratching
tree made of two trianglular boards with three connecting struts at
angles would look quite interesting - art AND fun for the cat.

What other things do people are missing in the cat-houses they see out
there?

Jim Witte

Indiana University CS
Old January 17th 04, 03:21 PM
Sherry

What other things do people are missing in the cat-houses they see out
there?

They usually aren't tall enough. Ours like the the top perch of the one that
goes all the way to the ceiling. Also, for the those who are discerning about
decorating issues, upholstery/tapestry fabric can be used in addition orr
instead of carpet. It's more expensive, and doesn't last as long, but it's much
easier to replace. The dangly toys creep me out when I see them. I think they
could be a strangling hazard. Maybe a two-inch piece of elastic to dangle a toy
might be safer.
They love the turbo scratcher ball-thing so much, I've wondered if a version of
that might be inset into a cat tree somehow.

Sherry

Old January 17th 04, 07:41 PM
Elizabeth Blake

"Jim Witte" wrote in message

What other things do people are missing in the cat-houses they see out
there?

I have something I got from eBay, made to look like a castle. Basically a
tall rectangle, with three cubbies. Of course, both of my cats prefer the
top of the castle (not the top cubby, the roof). I'd like something that
had two separate tops so each cat could have one, without having to be right
next to each other.

I actually do like the tall rectangular shape, though. Otto will take a
flying leap at the side and claw his way to the top. Sometimes he stops
near the top, and just looks around while clinging to the side, like my own
little King Kong.

Liz

Old January 17th 04, 11:38 PM
jamie

Jim Witte wrote:
What other things do people are missing in the cat-houses they see out
there?

Most I've seen are too small for a large cat.

--
jamie )

"There's a seeker born every minute."

Old January 17th 04, 11:38 PM
jamie

Jim Witte wrote:
What other things do people are missing in the cat-houses they see out
there?

Most I've seen are too small for a large cat.

--
jamie )

"There's a seeker born every minute."

Rocky one to RB Steve Touchstone Cat anecdotes 165 October 31st 04 02:40 AM
Too cold Stacey Cat anecdotes 58 January 25th 04 06:51 PM
Toilet training ?? moi Cat health & behaviour 189 July 24th 03 06:05 PM