[OT} Puzzle thats driving us nuts

Old December 30th 04, 10:50 PM
CatNipped

"Stormin Mormon" wrote in message
Try this for fun. Write the letters A through Z.

Number them A = 1 through Z = 26.

Add the values of each of the letters, and then compare the sums to the
prices given. I suspect it's a quarter per letter, but I'd ahve to run it
out on paper to be sure.

I'm nto a Mensa person.

No, that pricing convention would make the ring toss more than the
skateboard, which it is not. E.g. the doll = 43, kite = 45, skateboard =
96, ring toss = 121. At a quarter per "point" that would be doll = $10.75,
kite = $11.25, skateboard = $24.00, ring toss = $30.25.

I think Christine had the correct answer.

Hugs,

CatNipped

Christopher A. Young
This space intentionally left blank
www.lds.org
www.mormons.com

"Yowie" wrote in message
For Christmas, my parents were given a Mensa calender with a puzzle for
each
day. They haven't opened it yet, but the sample question was:

A toy shop prices toys on the whim of the owner:
A doll is $12, a kite $15, a skateboard $34, and a ring toss $24. How much
is a blackboard?

My whole family has been working furiously on this puzzle, but even though
we know the answer (it was printed on the box) we have no idea *why* $31
right

Can anyone out there in RPCA land explain the solution? It will save the
Greater Chapman Clan from going utterly bonkers.

Yowie

---

Old December 31st 04, 03:41 AM
Yowie

"Yoj" wrote in message
m...
"Christina Websell" wrote in message

"CatNipped" wrote in message
Right after my divorce, I started seeing the oil light come on in my

car.
I'd seen my ex check the oil, so I felt competent enough to do so for
myself and the dipstick showed fluid all the way up to the little line
that indicates "full" - this went on for a couple of weeks and that

darned
light just stayed glowing brightly.

I had been warned repeatedly that any mechanic would surely take

advantage
of a woman bringing in a car with mysterious problems, so I researched
what it could possibly be before bringing the car in to be serviced.

At
the repair shop I hopped out of the car and told the mechanic, in an
authoritative manner, "There is a fuse burned out in my dash that's
causing my oil light to stay on."

The mechanic asked if I had checked my oil and I replied, "Of course."

At
that point I popped my hood, removed the dipstick, wiped off the

excess
fluid, put the dipstick back in then pulled it out to show the man

that
the fluid was all the way up to the little line that indicates "full".

"See, I said, it's topped off with oil, so it must be a burned out

fuse -
I'm not paying for any other work on this car, just change the fuse

and
I'll be off." The mechanic was clearly trying to hide the grin on his
face as he told me, "Lady, you just checked your transmission fluid."

He
then proceded to pull out the *actual* oil dipstick to show me that my

oil
pan was bone dry!!!

Hugs,

CatNipped

LOL! It is just not possible for *women* to understand cars...(not).
Dec 26th my car, a Citreon AX that I call Mr F - not just because his
registrations letters are MRF but because I bought from from a very nice
elderly gentleman called Mr Field - refused to start after an initial

Ruh,
ruh, ruh.. weather -6C.
New battery required, but nowhere open. The following day my brother

Andrew
came to fetch me to take me to get a new battery for Mr F.
We got to the garage and I queued up at the sales desk. When it was my
turn, I said I needed a battery for a Citreon AX, year so and so. P reg
anyway, those in UK will know.
Can you believe that although he heard what I said, he immediately

ignored
me and started talking to my brother about it!!!!
Like why would he know? The garage chap just assumed that my brother

was
"the Man".

I was amused in one way, and annoyed in another.
So as he was looking over my head and talking to my brother, I waved to

him
and said "excuse me, it's *my* car, and * I* will decide whether I want

two, three or four year warranty on my new battery."
I suppose you have to laugh, but sometimes it's a forced one.

Oh, just to keep on the Mensa thread. I took a test and was invited to
join, but turned it down when I realised there was a membership fee. I
lurch from financial crisis to financial crisis because of my sight and

all
the ops I've needed, so the Mensa membership fee was out.
Anyway. most of the people who post here, IMHO, would qualify and we

have
lovely intelligent debates, so why do I need Mensa?

Tweed

You have a very good point - about joining Mensa and about women and cars.
Fortunately, there are a few mechanics, etc. who believe women have brains
and don't try to take advantage of them. I was lucky enough to find one
recently.

One day I tried to start my car, and absolutely nothing happened when I
turned the key. I called the auto club, and the man who checked it said I
needed a new battery. He got it started for me, but warned me not to turn
it off until I got to where the battery would be installed, because it
wouldn't start again. He said to let it run for about 10 minutes before
driving it.

I had to decide where to go for a battery. I don't like to go to a Toyota
dealer, because they charge too much and often tell me I need things I
don't. I haven't really needed a mechanic for years. As a volunteer

driver
for the American Cancer Society, I had recently received a coupon for a

free
oil change at a local garage. I decided if they were nice enough to give
free coupons to volunteers, they might actually be good guys, so I went
there.

I pulled up outside the office and left the car running while I went

inside.
I told the man behind the desk exactly what the Auto Club man had said -
that I needed a new battery, and that I shouldn't turn it off because it
wouldn't start again.

He asked permission to drive the car into a bay, after which, he

immediately
turned it off. He checked everything thoroughly and said I didn't need a
new battery. When he re-started the car, he noticed that the dome light

was
on. I had last driven the car in daylight, so I hadn't noticed that, and

it
sat in the garage for about 24 hours before I found it dead.

Anyway, he could have easily sold me a new battery, and I would have been
happy. Instead, he told me I don't need one, and he didn't charge me for
that.

I borrow Joel's best friend Claudio for that sort of thing. Claudio is
Italian, and looks every inch a dark, swarthy "rev head", especially if he
borrows his mother's gold chain, and we give him the baseball cap to wear
backwards.

Claudio doesn't know the first thing about cars either, but no-one would be
game enough to try and scam a 6'5" Italian "hoon". Hehehe.

Yowie

Old January 1st 05, 12:17 AM
Lucy's Mom

snip

I borrow Joel's best friend Claudio for that sort of thing. Claudio is
Italian, and looks every inch a dark, swarthy "rev head", especially if he
borrows his mother's gold chain, and we give him the baseball cap to wear
backwards.

Claudio doesn't know the first thing about cars either, but no-one would be
game enough to try and scam a 6'5" Italian "hoon". Hehehe.

Yowie

Boy, wish I could borrow Claudio, too! I went through 5 mechanics
here in Ft. Worth, TX before I found one who listened to me. I do
know about cars. My brother and I built and raced a car for several
years. I drove and he wrenched, but I worked right alongside him and
learned an awful lot about cars. Here in the south US, I've found men
do seem to think most women are not too smart. Course, some women
I've run into validate that assumption, but that's another story...

--Kim, slave to Lucy (aka The Grumpster) and step-meowmie to Tiger and
Casper, who've finally figured out there's another lap in the
house....
Old January 5th 05, 04:42 PM
David Stevenson

Christina Websell wrote

[...]

and said "excuse me, it's *my* car, and * I* will decide whether I want a
two, three or four year warranty on my new battery."
I suppose you have to laugh, but sometimes it's a forced one.

Of course stories like this are not just to do with cars. My main
interest is bridge - the card game - and I am a leading Tournament
Director. That is I run a tournament, also acting as a Referee. When
there is a problem at a table one of the players calls "Tournament
Director" and one of the directors present goes to the table to find out
what is wrong.

A Dutch friend of mine is probably the fourth best [or thereabouts]
director *in the world*. She says that every so often when she goes to
a table in response to a call she gets comments like "Get us a real
director, there's a love" or "Nothing to do in the kitchen then?" or
"Isn't there a male director?".

I know a number of female directors - in fact I am married to one -
and they all have stories of this sort.

Of course, discrimination is not just about gender. Another friend
was directing in a World Championship held in the USA. It was an event
open to everyone above a certain standard so it was enormous with
thousands of Americans playing. When he was called to a table and they
realised he was English he was asked to get a real director on a couple
of occasions. He *is* the best director in the world!

--
David Stevenson Storypage: http://blakjak.com/sty_menu.htm
Liverpool, England, UK Emails welcome
Old January 12th 05, 12:53 AM
Monique Y. Mudama

On 2004-12-30, Yoj penned:

That makes me feel better about some of the stupid things *I've* done. G

Here's an entertaining IRC log, though the guy is probably lying. I mean, it
*is* IRC.

Oh, bash.org can be very funny, but don't go browsing around unless you aren't
disturbed by some pretty sick senses of humor.

http://www.bash.org/?120095

--
monique, roommate of Oscar the (female) grouch
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Old January 12th 05, 12:56 AM
Monique Y. Mudama

On 2005-01-05, David Stevenson penned:

A Dutch friend of mine is probably the fourth best [or thereabouts]
director *in the world*. She says that every so often when she goes to
a table in response to a call she gets comments like "Get us a real
director, there's a love" or "Nothing to do in the kitchen then?" or
"Isn't there a male director?".

I know a number of female directors - in fact I am married to one - and
they all have stories of this sort.

I play MMORPGs (online roleplaying games), and studies have shown that people
in these games are more likely to follow the orders/suggestions of a male
character than a female.

Old January 12th 05, 01:06 AM
Monique Y. Mudama

On 2004-12-29, Yoj penned:

I didn't figure it out either, and I've been a member of Mensa for many
years. I don't know what my reading speed is, but I do read fast, so that
probably contributed to my score. Also, people who read a lot are more
likely to know the answers to some of the questions.

For many years I was a closet Mensan. I didn't mention my membership to
anybody, because many people don't know what Mensa is. How do you explain
that without souding boastful? I finally realized that I know many
brilliant, talented people who wouldn't qualify for Mensa. My Dad, for
instance, was probably the smartest person I've ever known, but he was a
very slow reader. I also realized that IQ tests don't check for
imagination, ingenuity, common sense or various types of talent. Not only
that, I know many Mensans who have very poor people skills, and some with
rather odd personality quirks. A Mensan I knew was killed when the
ceiling-high stacks of newspapers in his house fell on him and crushed him.

Now if I mention a Mensa event and somebody asks, "What is Mensa?" I say,
"It's an organization for people who are good at taking IQ tests. As far as
I'm concerned. that's all those tests prove - how good you are at taking
that kind of test. I know highly intelligent people who freeze up when they
have to take any kind of tests. I enjoy doing various word puzzles, and
look at IQ tests as fun, similar to a puzzle. My good score on an IQ test
doesn't prove I'm smarter than you or someone else in ways that matter much
more than taking tests.

I used to do really well at IQ tests. No idea how I'd do anymore; it seems
like over the years I have developed such a sensitivity to nuance that it's
actually a handicap. I second-guess the assumptions in the questions. Also,
if I don't immediately see the answer, I sometimes freeze up and can't get my
brain to start exploring.

Anyway, I've certainly noticed that intelligence and performance on
standardized tests are only somewhat related. I was lucky enough to perform
really well on SATs and ACTs. Some of my very intelligent friends didn't do
well at all. Actually, I took a seminar on the philosophy of liberal
education, and the professor happened to also be the dean of faculty. He told
us that standardized tests are useful in predicting one thing: whether or not
you will drop out. That's it. Not intelligence, not creativity, not any of
those qualities. Just whether or not you'll make their statistics look good.

Old January 12th 05, 01:48 AM
Yoj

On 2004-12-30, Yoj penned:

That makes me feel better about some of the stupid things *I've* done.

Here's an entertaining IRC log, though the guy is probably lying. I mean,

it
*is* IRC.

Oh, bash.org can be very funny, but don't go browsing around unless you

aren't
disturbed by some pretty sick senses of humor.

http://www.bash.org/?120095

--
monique, roommate of Oscar the (female) grouch
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Eros was adopted! Eros has a home now! *cheer!*

LOL! What is IRC?

Joy

Old January 12th 05, 01:52 AM
Yoj

On 2004-12-29, Yoj penned:

[...]

The chances are, you could probably qualify for Mensa membership, as long as
you have proof of one of your ealier scores. I suspect a lot of us wouldn't
do as well today as when we first took the tests. In fact, it's almost a
running gag among Mensans I know. Whenever somebody does something even
mildly stupid, someone else will say, "Retest!" Most of the Mensans I've
talked to feel we qualified on a fluke and would probably flunk a retest. I
keep my membership because I enjoy a few of the social events.

Joy

Old January 12th 05, 02:07 AM
Monique Y. Mudama

On 2005-01-12, Yoj penned:

LOL! What is IRC?

IRC is an old, old way to chat online. You connect to a server, and then
choose to join some number of "channels" on the server. I've read articles
describing it as the deep, dark, scary place on the net where all the bad
things happen, but of course that's silliness. It's no more deep and dark
than anything else online, but it does tend to be populated by people who are
more computer-savvy than most.

My gaming guild has its own IRC channel, which is how I became familiar with
IRC. Many open source software development projects have their own channels,
too.

bash.org is a site where you can submit funny IRC logs. If you don't mind
reading some extremely vulgar stuff, you can browse around and get a fair
taste for the IRC community. It's not much like this newsgroup, I'll tell you
that much.