Kitten with weird eye problem (infection?)

Old September 14th 04, 05:24 PM
Samantha G.

Default Kitten with weird eye problem (infection?)

I was directed here from alt.med.veterinary. A lady said that there is
a woman here who has a cat that lost both its eyes due to this. If
this is you, could you respond? I would like some info, please.

I apologize in advance for the length, it's hard to explain without
telling the whole story.

I have a question concerning a 7 week old kitten that I am hoping
maybe someone can give me some advice, or maybe knows of an "ask a
vet" type website that could help.

My biggest problem is that I have been consulted two vets (because
it's just so weird), and I'm getting conflicting diagnosis.

Unfortunately, I need to give you the whole run-down to put it in
context.

The litter of 3 was abandoned at birth, never had any mother's milk,
and had no nourishment for the first 24 hours. By age 1 week, only one
kitten was still alive. Her eyes didn't open until 3 weeks, and when
they did, the left was not completely formed (cloudy-looking almost
like a cataract)

Vet #1 gave me terramycin (antibiotic ointment) as a preventitive to
use indefinitely. Shortly afterward I accidentally knocked her in the
eye with the bottle while trying to feed her. Swelling began two days
later, which I assumed was a result of the injury. The swelling
continued to an extreme point (on a Sunday when my vet was
unreachable) and I called the only vet that was available.

Vet #2 said that the terramycin was congesting the tear ducts and
preventing drainage, causing the swelling (and should not be used for
more than 10 days). He suggested stopping the ointment, which I did
and two days later tears began to flow constantly and the swelling
began to go down, slowly over two weeks.

On Saturday, a large pocket of infection behind the eye (that we
didn't know was there) burst and drained, finally bringing the eye
back to normal size, which seemed like a happy ending

But the draining continued...clear tear-like fluid. And now (2 days
later) the eye seems to be shrinking (the side of her face appears
concave), the eye and 3rd lid are pink and irritated looking, and the
lid is trying to close.

Vet #1 says that this is a normal reaction to the infection, the
cornea is losing pressure but it will return to normal. He also thinks
some limited vision may develop. He prescribed another antibiotic, in
drop form and didn't seem very concerned about it.

Vet #2 says that the infection bursting may have caused a tear in the
"skin" of the eye, allowing the eye fluid to drain out. HE says that
the eye will not return to normal and that when the draining stops, it
should either close on its own or be sewn shut. He believes the eye
will never have vision and that leaving it open will only encourage
irritation and possibly allow contaminates (bacteria) to enter the
eye.

What do I do? She's never been able to see out of the eye, so I don't
believe she will ever develop sight. I don't know which vet is correct
as to the cause; if I did, I could make a choice easier as to what to
do.

Has anyone ever encountered this? Or know a website that might help?

Also, both vets do not believe it is feline herpes, FIV, or FLeV.
They are reluctant to do tests, as she is only 15.9 oz, but both have
said tests can wait, as it doesn't appear to be any of the 3.(her
growth/development is stunted, but thought to be result of a birth
defect, not a virus/illness)

This little kitten has had so many problems (slow growth, joints still
soft, eyes developing slowly), and the vets here (rural small town)
don't see this type of thing often. I'm not trying to second guess the
vets, just trying to get some info to be sure that they are giving me
good advice. I'm half afraid that they are both just guessing as to
the cause and vet #1 doesn't seem like a "cat person", he doesn't seem
very compassionate but vet #2 does. I would really like to find a vet
who has experience with this, that I could talk to, or even get one of
the vets into contact with for consulting.

Also, I know that I am putting this all into "layman's terms." It's
how they explained it to me.

Old September 14th 04, 05:55 PM
Karen

Here are some good links to start with:

http://cats.about.com/od/eyeproblemsandblindness/

http://www.acvo.com/

http://www.animaleyeconsultant.com/

om...

Old September 14th 04, 07:08 PM

Is there a veterinary opthamologist within even a few hours driving
distance? With such conflicting opinions, and considering the fact that
you are dealing with rural vets who often focus on large animal medicine
and don't deal a lot with the intricacies of small animal medicine, it
would be in your cat's best interests for you to make what might be a
long drive so you can get help from someone that specializes in this
area. A veterinary opthamologist has tools that regular vets don't have,
and also have the ability to determine if the cat has any sight in that
eye and give you a better idea of what will happen. If you post where
you're located maybe someone here will know of an opthamologist within
range, and if you have a veterinary university within driving distance
you'll definitely be able to find one there. Eye issues can be very
frustrating, and the few times I've had to deal with this sort of thing
taking the cats to an opthamologist was by far the best course of
action.

Megan

nothing."

-Edmund Burke

Learn The TRUTH About Declawing
http://www.stopdeclaw.com

Zuzu's Cats Photo Album:
http://www.PictureTrail.com/zuzu22

way."

- W.H. Murray

Old September 14th 04, 07:11 PM

Karen wrote:
http://www.acvo/com

To the OP- this is perfect. It has a locator on the site where you can
search for doctors in your area:
http://www.acvo.com/public/Publicdatabase.asp

Old September 15th 04, 12:21 AM
Samantha G.

I am in Elk Park, NC. Near Boone, NC and Elizabethton, TN. I had never
even heard of a veterinary opthamologist until reading the posts here.
But if anyone knows of one, let me know! My guess is Asheville, NC
would be the closest possibility.

I also wanted to say that there is no behavior change with her at all;
if anything, she is even more active and acting more content since the
infection drained. Her face is also not very sore, she will let me
wash it but doesn't like anyone else to touch it.

I worry because when the vet mentioned FLeV (even though he said he
didn't think it was the cause), I looked it up online and the symptoms
do seem similar.

I have raised her from the age of 2 days, and I am hopelessly attached
to the little darling. I don't know how I would pay for a trip to an
opthamologist, but I will find a way. (My own vet is giving me a
discount as she is an orphaned/rescued kitten, so the bill hasn't been
very high)

Old September 15th 04, 03:18 AM

Maybe you didn't see this but you can locate veterinary opthamologists
by city and state he
http://www.acvo.com/public/Publicdatabase.asp

There are several listings for North Carolina, and I would suggest you
check in Tennessee as well since you're close to the border. If this
were me, I would definitely drive a few hours if that was what was neede
to get to a specialist. I don't know about the cost for vets in your
area, but here in Minnesota the exam fee for the VO was $45, which isn't
that much more expensive than the current office visit fee I pay at my
regular vet which is $38. Medication that is prescribed would add
something to the total, but I think it's a pretty reasonable way to go,
especially for a specialist that can give you answers your vet can't.