A cat legend

Old September 28th 04, 08:43 AM

Does he sound like Mel Gibson?

No, only Mel Gibson thinks god sounds like Mel Gibson ;-)

LOL!

Joyce

Old September 28th 04, 08:51 AM

Klinger wrote:

the story seems to reflect an ignorance of history and a kind of
cultural self-centeredness that can only be described as staggering.
Sort of like a story about how Confucious got peeved because people
kept calling him "Confused".

LOL! Is there such a story? Or were you just making that up as an
example of the same sort of thing? I hope it's the latter!

There probably is a story about Mohammed cutting his sleeve to avoid
disturbing a sleeping kitten, which might or might not be conflated
with the story of... ? ... someone cutting his sleeve so not to disturb
his sleeping *lover*. (Someone here mentioned this the other day.) And
the tabby "M" story probably got conflated with the sleeve-cutting story,
both being about cats and all.

By the way, the word "tabby" itself originates from someplace in the
Middle East. Not sure if it's from Iran (Persia) or an Arab country. It
comes from "atabi", a type of striped fabric. This type of fabric is
named for the city it comes from (Atabi).

Joyce

Old September 29th 04, 02:03 AM
Victor Martinez

Kreisleriana wrote:
God sounds like John Huston.

And soon will sound like Ellen Degeneres!

--
Victor Martinez
Send your spam he

Old September 29th 04, 03:19 AM
Singh

Kreisleriana wrote:

On Sun, 26 Sep 2004 21:14:49 -0400, Singh
yodeled:

Seanette Blaylock wrote:

Takayuki had some very interesting things to
say about A cat legend:

This reminds me how once I was telling a friend how it's interesting
that you never see any sculptures or paintings of Mohammed, and how
that makes his legends somewhat more difficult to visualize. I
thought it would be a great idea if someone could start a business
specializing in likenesses of Mohammed, but he thought that was a dumb
idea.

I may be wrong, not being an expert on Islam, but ISTR that images of
actual people are highly frowned on in that religion.

Not so much the representing of people. Having pictures of your loved ones
in your wallet or on your dresser is one thing. What's forbidden is
representing holy men or angels for icons or idols to worship, or trying to
make an image of God--Streng Verboten in the Quran as much as in the Bible.

I'm afraid that we Westerners have become jaded in one such area: we have
become conditioned to believe that God sounds like Charlton Heston.

No, that's Moses. :P

I thought Chuckles did a dual role! Maybe it's just that I haven't heard that
distinctly Western voice from above? I should look maybe for John Wayne?

Boy, do I need sleep...

Blessed be!
Baha