Obama upsets PETA

Old June 18th 09, 07:21 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
AZ Nomad[_2_]

Default Obama upsets PETA

Excellant: anything that ****es off PETA makes me smile.
http://www.reuters.com/article/newsO...55H4Z220090618
Old June 18th 09, 07:39 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Matthew[_3_]

When it comes to anything that PETA yaps about I think of this
http://www.petakillsanimals.com/

Old June 18th 09, 07:43 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
jmcquown[_2_]

"AZ Nomad" wrote in message
Excellant: anything that ****es off PETA makes me smile.
http://www.reuters.com/article/newsO...55H4Z220090618

I'm all for compassion but since when is a fly an "animal'? I don't care
who you are, if a fly is constantly buzzing around your head (or your food)
and you have a chance to smack it, you will. Ditto mosquitoes. In the
grand scheme of things I have yet to figure out what purpose either of these
insects serve. There's probably something I don't know about but to me they
are simply pests.

IMHO those PETA people are really over the top. With everything else that's
going on in the world, if they really expect a statement from the White
House about the fly "execution" I sure hope they aren't holding their
collective breath

Jill

Old June 18th 09, 10:06 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
[email protected]

jmcquown wrote:

I'm all for compassion but since when is a fly an "animal'?

In fairness, flies *are* animals.

I certainly dislike a number of insects and other bugs, but to be
honest, I try not to kill them. Don't always succeed at this - if there
are 10,000 ants traipsing through my living room, some of them are going
to die, unfortunately. If something poisonous was hanging out in my
apartment where it could get near my cats, it's dead. Generally I try
to leave things alone, even if I shudder when I see them. As Tweed says,
"It's not the spider's fault I can't stand it." I love that quote.

One time I was at a party in a rented function room, so lots of space.
Also, lots of open windows for "nature" to come inside. People were
dancing in the main room and I was sitting at a table, when I noticed
a small spider walking around, not far from where people's feet were
landing on the floor. I took pity on it and decided to rescue it and
bring it outside. As I was picking it up onto a piece of paper, I caught
sight of a friend of mine giving me a knowing, and slightly condescending
smile. (Nothing really mean - it was more like, "Oh, there goes Joyce
again, my kooky animal-lover friend, rescuing spiders from being squashed
on the dance floor!") It's embarrassing, but there you are. I'm sentimental
that way.

I don't care
who you are, if a fly is constantly buzzing around your head (or your food)
and you have a chance to smack it, you will. Ditto mosquitoes.

Actually, I do leave flies alone, *most* of the time. But mosquitoes, you
do have a point! If one is buzzing in my ear when I'm trying to sleep, it's
dead if I can manage to kill it. Luckily, I live in a fairly dry part of
the country and there's no standing water nearby, so I don't get many
mosquitoes anymore.

In the grand scheme of things I have yet to figure out what purpose
either of these insects serve. There's probably something I don't
know about but to me they are simply pests.

I can't answer this because I don't know where flies fit in specifically.
But everything pretty much has some role in the local ecosystem. If it
didn't, it probably wouldn't last very long as a species. I actually find
this topic fascinating. No matter how repulsive something might be, it
very likely has an important role somewhere, which down the line is
ultimately connected to human life, among other things.

IMHO those PETA people are really over the top. With everything else that's
going on in the world, if they really expect a statement from the White
House about the fly "execution" I sure hope they aren't holding their
collective breath

PETA is one of the world's most annoying activist groups. I'm sure
there are many groups that have a far worse agenda, and I sympathize
with PETA's overall purpose, but they're a bunch of *ssh*les! These are
the people who used to throw blood at women wearing furs. I'm against
the fur industry farming animals just to kill them for expensive coats
too, but harassing women on the street? Now there's a radical idea.

And they're totally against the keeping of domesticated species as pets.
Don't they understand the meaning of "domesticated"? They're dependent
on us! We're responsible for them.

And then there was their "go vegetarian" campaign where they would fly
planes over beaches with a banner behind them saying "Don't get FAT, eat
vegetarian!" Cool, raise awareness of your cause by scapegoating a group
of people who are already despised in our society (not to mention being
wrong, since vegetarian diets can be high-calorie). Talk about shooting
fish in a barrel. Oops, I mean, um, shooting cubes of tofu in a barrel?

Nope, don't like PETA at all.

--
Joyce ^..^

Old June 18th 09, 10:25 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Mischief[_2_]

On Jun 18, 11:21*am, AZ Nomad wrote:
Excellant: *anything that ****es off PETA makes me smile.http://www.reuters.com/article/newsO...55H4Z220090618

You have GOT to be friggin kidding me. A FLY??

PETA obviously has nothing better to do. And they sent him a friggin
TRAP to catch it?

I'm sorry, but if there's a fly buzzing around, while you are trying
to do something like an interview, or eating dinner, you really think
that taking the time to set a trap is gonna work?? for ONE fly? What
if you're already outside? If you trap him and then let him go he'll
just come right back.

A few years ago I had a massive invasion of flies in my apartment. I
killed a LOT of them, broke a lampshade in the process, but they still
kept coming. I even bought a trap from OSH that attracted and killed
them but there was still a lot. I finally had to wait until
nighttime, turn off all the lights, open the patio door and put a lamp
outside. Then I waved around a garbage bag and shooed all the flies
who then flew to the light and outside.

I try to let insects be, no matter where I'm at. I'm usually the one
at work that comes while all the other technicians are screaming to
capture the spider and let him go outside.

But if insects invade my space, usually there's no mercy. If there's
a trail of ants in my bathroom, what does PETA expect me to do? Trap
them and let them go?

I don't think so, I reach for the friggn RAID.

The BF is deathly afraid of spiders, and I'm not too fond of them,
especially when one decided to crawl across my pillow while I was in
BED. (the BF wasn't there) Scared the hell out of me.

Spiders I leave alone usually, but one that invades my BED? I don't
THINK so.

That spider was caught in kleenex, squished, mashed and then the whole
thing was taken to the BBQ grill outside and set on fire.

Think that's extreme?

The BF was at a fair with some buddies when one spotted a brown
recluse on his shoulder. He told my BF to hold still as it crawled
onto his FACE. He smacked it off, but the BF was ****ED. He stomped
on it with his boot, ground it into the grass. Got a staff and
pounded it further and deeper into the ground, got some gasoline and
filled the hole and set THAT on fire.

Kiss my *** PETA

Kristi
Old June 18th 09, 11:05 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Baird Stafford

In article ,
"jmcquown" wrote:

snip

I'm all for compassion but since when is a fly an "animal'? I don't care
who you are, if a fly is constantly buzzing around your head (or your food)
and you have a chance to smack it, you will. Ditto mosquitoes. In the
grand scheme of things I have yet to figure out what purpose either of these
insects serve. There's probably something I don't know about but to me they
are simply pests.

Not quite: a Jain will not kill *anything.*

Unlike PETA, however, the Jains seem to make allowances for the rest of
us who don't much care to contract eastern equine encephalitis, for
instance.

Plus, they're pretty well limited to the Indian subcontinent....

snip

Baird

--
You know you're getting old when Muzak plays the Top 40 of your salad days.
Old June 18th 09, 11:38 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Jofirey

"Mischief" wrote in message

Spiders I leave alone usually, but one that invades my BED? I don't
THINK so.

That spider was caught in kleenex, squished, mashed and then the whole
thing was taken to the BBQ grill outside and set on fire.

Think that's extreme?

************

Yes sweetie that's extreme. They flush just fine.

Jo

Old June 19th 09, 12:04 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
---MIKE---

I usually find spiders in the bathtub or sink where they can't get a
grip to get out. I put them in a jar and put them outside. These are
all fairly small and non-poisonous.

---MIKE---
In the White Mountains of New Hampshire
(44° 15' N - Elevation 1580')

Old June 19th 09, 12:30 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
[email protected]

Mischief wrote:

I'm sorry, but if there's a fly buzzing around, while you are trying
to do something like an interview, or eating dinner,

Or running the country?

But if insects invade my space, usually there's no mercy. If there's
a trail of ants in my bathroom, what does PETA expect me to do? Trap
them and let them go?

I don't think so, I reach for the friggn RAID.

I draw the line at Raid, but not out of kindness to bugs. It's
because I don't want that stuff in my living space, and I don't want
my furballs exposed to it. There are ways to get rid of ants that don't
involve being exposed to poisons. I put down a few of those ant stakes
a few years ago, when cinnamon and a catfood bowl "moat" and all that
stuff didn't work. The stakes are meant to be driven into the ground
to kill off ant colonies near your house, etc. But I just put them on
the floor, underneath furniture that cats couldn't fit under. It has
bait inside and the ants are drawn to it. They bring it back to their
nest, and whammo, end of infestation. It's poison, but I don't have to
breathe it, at least.

I have the same feeling as you - if the bug isn't bothering me, I leave
it alone. But if there's an ant superhighway from one end of the apartment
to the other (that's happened), or spiders on my pillow (hasn't happened,
hope it never does), I would probably kill them - in the latter case,
probably accidentally while in a big panic slapping it off the pillow,
glad for once that nobody is there who can use a video camera.

The BF was at a fair with some buddies when one spotted a brown
recluse on his shoulder. He told my BF to hold still as it crawled
onto his FACE. He smacked it off, but the BF was ****ED. [snip
retribution story]

A brown recluse? If one of those was in my home, I'd kill it and then
call the landlord and demand fumigation. I don't like bug poison, but
I wouldn't risk an infestation. Getting rid of something that could
kill my cats (or me) is just common sense.

In the meantime, when possible I will continue to rescue innocent bugs
that aren't doing anything threatening, and are just in the wrong place.
I'm not a Jain, but I have a "you don't bother me, I won't bother you"
attitude.

--
Joyce ^..^

Old June 19th 09, 12:35 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Bridget[_6_]

"jmcquown" wrote in message
"AZ Nomad" wrote in message
Excellant: anything that ****es off PETA makes me smile.
http://www.reuters.com/article/newsO...55H4Z220090618

I'm all for compassion but since when is a fly an "animal'? I don't care
who you are, if a fly is constantly buzzing around your head (or your
food) and you have a chance to smack it, you will. Ditto mosquitoes. In
the grand scheme of things I have yet to figure out what purpose either of
these insects serve. There's probably something I don't know about but to
me they are simply pests.

I don't know about mosquitoes, but flies or rather, their maggots, help
clean up the dead animals that would otherwise fill up the earth.
Mosqitoes - the larvae are an important food source for many fish and other
aquatic animals living in still water sources - that's the best I can do.

Bridget - who studied an incredible amount of ecology in grad school.

Obama for President Amy Cat anecdotes 0 December 13th 08 01:30 PM
Obama for President Amy Cat anecdotes 0 December 12th 08 09:30 AM
Cats for Obama ollie2 Cat anecdotes 6 September 3rd 08 08:40 PM