Too Sad!

Old July 15th 09, 03:31 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
CatEyes

Default Too Sad!

It's supposed to be funny, but to see this poor cat, so horribly overweight
that it can't even get up to play, is just too sad to me.

http://icanhascheezburger.com/2009/0...little-kitteh/

Hugs,

CatNipped

Old July 16th 09, 12:08 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Bobble[_6_]

"CatEyes" wrote in
:

It's supposed to be funny, but to see this poor cat, so horribly
overweight that it can't even get up to play, is just too sad to me.

http://icanhascheezburger.com/2009/0...ideo-big-kitte
h-vs-little-kitteh/

Hugs,

CatNipped

I think that kitten will shave off a bit of weight.

Bobble

Old July 16th 09, 01:19 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
MaryL

"CatEyes" wrote in message
It's supposed to be funny, but to see this poor cat, so horribly
overweight that it can't even get up to play, is just too sad to me.

http://icanhascheezburger.com/2009/0...little-kitteh/

Hugs,

CatNipped

Yes! It's sad, and it's also animal abuse. I wonder what that kitten will
look like in a few years.

MaryL

Old July 16th 09, 01:24 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
cl

CatEyes wrote:
It's supposed to be funny, but to see this poor cat, so horribly overweight
that it can't even get up to play, is just too sad to me.

Not that sad. I guess you missed the part at 48 seconds where the
"horribly overweight cat that can't even get up to play" stood up,
played with the kitten, and even chased it - slowly perhaps but the cat
still moved after the kitten. As the other poster said I think the
kitten will probably help the older cat lose some weight.

cl
Old July 16th 09, 11:53 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Cheryl[_5_]

cl wrote:
CatEyes wrote:
It's supposed to be funny, but to see this poor cat, so horribly
overweight that it can't even get up to play, is just too sad to me.

Not that sad. I guess you missed the part at 48 seconds where the
"horribly overweight cat that can't even get up to play" stood up,
played with the kitten, and even chased it - slowly perhaps but the cat
still moved after the kitten. As the other poster said I think the
kitten will probably help the older cat lose some weight.

cl

I thought it was a funny example of how a slower, older and - yes -
fatter cat finally decides to swat that annoying youngster good, so as
to be left in peace - but it doesn't really work, since like all
youngsters, the kitten isn't cowed at all and bounces right back!

Cheryl
Old July 20th 09, 05:37 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Christina Websell

"CatEyes" wrote in message
It's supposed to be funny, but to see this poor cat, so horribly
overweight that it can't even get up to play, is just too sad to me.

http://icanhascheezburger.com/2009/0...little-kitteh/

I tried to get the video to play I couldn't but I have seen other videos
making fun of obese pets. I don't find them funny at all.
I look at it like this: If I choose to have a pet I have implicitly agreed
(morally) that I will look after it to the best of my ability and give it
the best life I can.
Feeding it with treats and stuff to excess so it gets really fat does not
prove that you love it so much, quite the reverse.
I have heard it said that cats can be free fed and will never overeat.
Maybe some can, but that doesn't apply to Boyfriend, he would eat from
morning until night given the chance. He isn't given the chance. He is fed
wet food in the morning, he gets a couple of tablespoons of dry at teatime
now, and more wet before I go to bed (this stops him moaning at my bedroom
door that he is starving at 4 a.m.)
If I fed him according to what he says his appetite is he would be HUGE.
I ignore him if he begs but it's not easy. He gets on the arm of my chair
where I am innocently sitting to watch a TV programme. I ignore him. He
makes a little "mah" noise and puts a foot out to touch my face. I ignore
him.
He waits ten minutes. He is still sitting on the arm of my chair. He puts
his foot out again to touch my face but this time there are claws that prick
my cheek - he thought I hadn't noticed what he said before. I push him off
the arm of the chair and he goes outside in a huff. He thinks I have not
understood what he is trying to say.
I do understand. He is a very greedy cat and I will not let him get obese.

Tweed

Old July 20th 09, 07:26 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
[email protected][_2_]

On Jul 20, 9:37*am, "Christina Websell"
wrote:

I have heard it said that cats can be free fed and will never overeat.

I muist admit the Fabulous Furballs can be free fed. They like
feeding time- there's all the excitement of "What are we getting?" and
they demand I feed them in the morning and the evening but once it;s
in the bowl the ritual is over and they take a couple of mouthfuls
before wandering off to do something else- it's rare they finish their
feed before the next one- through they go back time and time again for
another nibble. Indeed, looking at how much the manufacturers say I
should be feeding them I am guilty of starving them! Oh well I follow
my instincts on this- they are not big cats, they tend to eat less in
summer (house rule is if the bowl is licked clean and they are still
looking at it then they may get a little extra since for some reason
on this occasion they are extra hungry- they don't abuse it maybe once
a week - or if they got sardine "Whiskas", which causes them to
override being full as they love it a little too much but since I
don't want to give them an unvaried diet and too much fish is not good
it's an occasional thing) a little more in winter and my vet says they
are both in peak condition, not at all overweight (Dunzi could gain
another pound but it stays off) and looking fine on their diet

After all why should pet food manufacturers suggest amounts of food
that might be too much for cats? To sell more perhaps

Lesley

Slave of the Fabulous Furballs
Old July 20th 09, 07:47 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Dan M

On Mon, 20 Jul 2009 11:26:49 -0700, LMadigan wrote:

I muist admit the Fabulous Furballs can be free fed. They like feeding
time- there's all the excitement of "What are we getting?" and they
demand I feed them in the morning and the evening but once it;s in the
bowl the ritual is over and they take a couple of mouthfuls before
wandering off to do something else- it's rare they finish their feed
before the next one- through they go back time and time again for
another nibble.

That's how ours are too. I free-fee them kibble and give them soft food
for breakfast. Most mornings they basically just sample the soft food,
but they are interested in it. Maybe it's the ritual that they like so
much.

Harri insists on being picked up and "flown" to the counter for her
breakfast, and Ranger always sits at my feed and whines until I put his
food down. Sammy usually sits under the dining room table until I put his
food down (he eats in the dining room since he's just a timid boy). Sammy
usually chows down, but the other just take a few tastes then wander
away. But try to go through the breakfast ritual late just once...
Old July 20th 09, 08:02 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
[email protected][_2_]

On Jul 20, 11:47*am, Dan M wrote:
.. Maybe it's the ritual that they like so
much.

It could be- cats are creatures who like routines after all. With the
Fabulous Furballs in the morning I get dressed and they come up for
skritchies then I stand up and they both look at the kitchen door and
I say "Who wants brekkies then?" at which point they both run to the
bowl so by the time I reach the kitchen they are both at their dish.
Dunzi will almost inevitably be sitting to one side to let Sarsi eat
first and Sarsi will be sitting right next to the bowl. I then have
to give them another skritchie before getting out their food and
telling them today's offering. If I miss any step of this they look
indignantly at me

Old July 20th 09, 08:20 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Dan M

On Mon, 20 Jul 2009 12:02:20 -0700, LMadigan wrote:

It could be- cats are creatures who like routines after all. With the
Fabulous Furballs in the morning I get dressed and they come up for
skritchies then I stand up and they both look at the kitchen door and I
say "Who wants brekkies then?" at which point they both run to the bowl
so by the time I reach the kitchen they are both at their dish. Dunzi
will almost inevitably be sitting to one side to let Sarsi eat first and
Sarsi will be sitting right next to the bowl. I then have to give them
another skritchie before getting out their food and telling them today's
offering. If I miss any step of this they look indignantly at me

Yep. We *must* keep to the routines the masters teach us!

Sammy Redcat is that way with the bedtime routine. When I go to bed I
*must* lie flat on my back so he can climb onto my chest for pets and to
tell me about his day. He might only stay there for a minute or two, but
we have to do that routine every night. During the weeks he was missing
it was almost impossible for me to get to sleep - I had gotten used to
his nighttime routine too.