Claw clipping question

Old February 17th 06, 11:03 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes

Default Claw clipping question

It's just me and the two cats, and they have shown a marked reluctance to
hold each other down while I trim claws. So how does one person manage a
claw clip on a reluctant cat?

I have in the past tried to wrap one in a towel (prewarmed for his
comfort) but I can only manage maybe two claws that way, before the
intrepid feline manages his escape.

My vet, when I told her he was a biter, produced a cloth hood-like thingy
which she said made the cat quiet, but I think that would be even more
stressful. And I'd have to make my own, as I am cash-poor for the
foreseeable future.

If you're one of the lucky ones who has a cat that doesn't object to claw
clipping, well, pbthbththbbtth to you.

Do you have a method I can try? Have you ever used a hood? Help!

TIA,

Chak

--
In science, 'fact' can only mean 'confirmed to such a degree that it
would be perverse to withhold provisional assent.' I suppose that apples
Old February 17th 06, 11:21 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes

On 17 Feb 2006 22:03:51 GMT, Chakolate
wrote:

It's just me and the two cats, and they have shown a marked reluctance to
hold each other down while I trim claws. So how does one person manage a
claw clip on a reluctant cat?

With Natasha, she doesn't mind me clipping her front claws too much,
but absolutely hates it whenever anyone messes with her back legs.
Much yanking the foot out of my hand, yowling, hissing, spitting,
wiggling, squirming, etc ensues. I used to wrap her up in a towel, and
have the foot I was working on poking out with the others inside the
wrap. She wasn't to happy with that arrangement, though, and almost
always wiggled her way out. So here's the alternative method I've
worked out to do this over the years. It works for us, but it requires
a kitty that doesn't mind being on her back...

I sit on the floor, legs out in front of me. I put Tasha on her back
along the length of my legs, then cross my legs at the ankles or
higher to support her head. She's not touching the floor, my legs are
completely supporting her, and her back legs are closest to me.
There's nothing holding her down into position, other than her being
on her back and me skritching her from time to time.

I clip her front feet first, with much praising and petting as I go.
She gets a treat after I finish each foot. Between front claws I'll
reach down and stroke one of her back feet (remember, that's her main
problem area) to get her used to the idea that I'm going there next.

Because of the way she's positioned, when I do her back feet I don't
have to actually move them around very much, and she doesn't squirm
too much either. Again, much praise and stroking, but this time
(because I know she hates this part so much) I give her a treat after
every claw or two, even if she's being squirmy. (no, she doesn't seem
to mind eating while on her back) I do all of the trimming as
quickly as I can, but most definitely try not to be rough about it.

Of course, your best bet is probably trial and error in finding out
what works best for each of your kitties as an individual. Good luck!

Jeanne Hedge, as directed by Natasha

============
http://www.jhedge.com
Old February 17th 06, 11:49 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes

Chakolate wrote:

It's just me and the two cats, and they have shown a marked reluctance to
hold each other down while I trim claws. So how does one person manage a
claw clip on a reluctant cat?

This is a good question - I have the same problem. Roxy will usually let
me get up to one front paw done before she runs off (and I can later get
the other paw), but Smudge starts squirming, meowing and hissing
immediately, so I don't even try with her anymore. And with Licky, who I
think has a bit of the feral in him, it's absolutely out of the question.
One time he saw me clip Roxy's claws, and then I came toward him with
the clippers. He gave me a look that said, "Are you out of your MIND?"
and was then outta there in a flash.

I always hear that it's best to start them getting used to claw clipping
when they're kittens. That's all well and good, but I've got 3 adult cats,
so what do I do now?

I don't consider it urgent, as I don't get scratched very often. Roxy
does the most "damage" to me with her claws, as she loves to knead me
around my neck and collarbone while cuddling, but then she's also the
easiest to clip, so it pretty much works out. Still, it would be nice
to know how to do it successfully, on cats who've grown up unaccustomed
to having that done.

Joyce
Old February 18th 06, 12:21 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes

wrote:

It's just me and the two cats, and they have shown a marked reluctance to
hold each other down while I trim claws. So how does one person manage a
claw clip on a reluctant cat?

I have in the past tried to wrap one in a towel (prewarmed for his
comfort) but I can only manage maybe two claws that way, before the
intrepid feline manages his escape.

My vet, when I told her he was a biter, produced a cloth hood-like thingy
which she said made the cat quiet, but I think that would be even more
stressful. And I'd have to make my own, as I am cash-poor for the
foreseeable future.

If you're one of the lucky ones who has a cat that doesn't object to claw
clipping, well, pbthbththbbtth to you.

Do you have a method I can try? Have you ever used a hood? Help!

TIA,

Chak

Silver isn't happy about having her claws clipped but she'll let you
do it by yourself... I pick her up and lie her in my lap on her back
and put my arm across her chest to reach her paw so she can't wriggle
too much... Scouty won't have a bar of it!
You could try sneaking up on a cat and doing it one paw at a time
while the cat is asleep and in a suitable position. There's no law
that says you have to do all the claws at the same time, you can
rotate... and I never clip the back claws at all - they don't get
nearly as long or as sharp as the front ones.
Old February 18th 06, 12:43 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes

You could try sneaking up on a cat and doing it one paw at a time
while the cat is asleep and in a suitable position. There's no law
that says you have to do all the claws at the same time

Excellent idea!

LMR

Old February 18th 06, 01:38 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes

Default Claw clipping question VERY LONG

Of course, your best bet is probably trial and error in finding out
what works best for each of your kitties as an individual. Good luck!
Jeanne Hedge, as directed by Natasha

Okay, you asked! I believe Jeanne's 'Tasha must be an unusually
good-natured, sweet cat from description of her claw-clipping.
Also, if I tried doing it here while cats were sleeping, there'd
be casualties involved, meaning me.
Never played football in my life, but being NFL junkie I do
know how, say, a running back carries a football.
First off, you need to wrap cat in a BIG (bath sheet-type)
towel, forget the warming (cats are warm anyway). Leave only
cat's head and whatever paw you want to work on sticking out.
*Hold towel-wrapped cat close to your body and fairly
tight, just like if it was a football*!
Second, you MUST have good light, natural is best, but NOT
outside. Under a skylight or enclosed sunny porch is good.
Work quickly. Talk to cat during whole time. When
beginning, treats might help....I have never given treats.
Holding paw firmly in left fingers (if you're a "righty")
and clippers in right hand, press gently on each claw's
paw end till claw extends out (emerges from paw more
fully) and look carefully (here's where good light needed)
for pink area on paw end of claw. *THIS IS A VEIN*
and you don't want to clip near it's end...firmly holding
clippers, clip claw near but not too near pink area, with
one firm "clip". You want to avoid "shredding" claw but
sometimes this happens....no big deal, it's painless to cat.
DO NOT TRY TO USE DOG CLIPPERS ON CAT!
as they will "shred" cat claws since they were made for
a larger, tougher claw on a different animal.
I do front claws first, then back. Dewclaw is hard to
push out (little claw on inside of paw) but with practice
your cats will get used to the whole business and
tolerate it.
Cats do communicate with each other and are NOT
stupid.....after you are finished with first cat, do not
be amazed to find the other hiding somewhere. No
big deal; you can do him later or another day.
This is long but I'm very good at this and you
obviously need advice. Don't abandon ship; be
patient. Think of the $ you're saving not having
to pay vet fees for this service.

Old February 18th 06, 02:00 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes

wrote:

It's just me and the two cats, and they have shown a marked reluctance to
hold each other down while I trim claws. So how does one person manage a
claw clip on a reluctant cat?

I have in the past tried to wrap one in a towel (prewarmed for his
comfort) but I can only manage maybe two claws that way, before the
intrepid feline manages his escape.

My vet, when I told her he was a biter, produced a cloth hood-like thingy
which she said made the cat quiet, but I think that would be even more
stressful. And I'd have to make my own, as I am cash-poor for the
foreseeable future.

If you're one of the lucky ones who has a cat that doesn't object to claw
clipping, well, pbthbththbbtth to you.

Do you have a method I can try? Have you ever used a hood? Help!

I have twelve cats - about half spend enough time outdoors that their
claws seldom need clipping. The other half contains a couple that
simply have to be overpowered: wedged between my body and the chair
arm, and held securely by my left arm while my left hand holds the paw
tightly - I still have to retuck the cat a couple of times.

A friend of mine swears by a sock pulled over her cats' heads. That
would be like the hood. However, when I go over the process in my
mind, I see more opportunity to get hurt than when just overpowering
the cat.

--
T.E.D. )
Old February 18th 06, 02:04 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes

On Fri 17 Feb 2006 05:03:51p, Chakolate wrote in
rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
. 244.170):

It's just me and the two cats, and they have shown a marked
reluctance to hold each other down while I trim claws. So how
does one person manage a claw clip on a reluctant cat?

I have in the past tried to wrap one in a towel (prewarmed for
his comfort) but I can only manage maybe two claws that way,
before the intrepid feline manages his escape.

My vet, when I told her he was a biter, produced a cloth
hood-like thingy which she said made the cat quiet, but I think
that would be even more stressful. And I'd have to make my own,
as I am cash-poor for the foreseeable future.

If you're one of the lucky ones who has a cat that doesn't
object to claw clipping, well, pbthbththbbtth to you.

Do you have a method I can try? Have you ever used a hood?
Help!

I can relate! It's just me and the four cats! Of the four, I can't
clip Bonnie's at all. She's a former feral and I can't even pick
her up. Her claws are only clipped once a year by the vet. The
other three are difficult, but managable. With Shamrock, I put him
on the kitchen counter and he mostly cooperates for the front
claws. I rarely clip the back ones on any of them because they're
just too thick. Vet does those. For Scarlett and Rhett, the
youngest ones who've been with me since they were 9 weeks old, I
clip theirs on my bed. We do cuddles and they get relaxed and I can
usually manage most of them. When any of them get too squirmy, I
just quit and do them another time. Even if you can do 2 or 3 claws
at a sitting, you're making progress. Try not to look at it as an
"all or nothing" endeavor.

--
Cheryl
Old February 18th 06, 02:16 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes

On Fri 17 Feb 2006 05:49:31p, wrote in rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
):

I don't consider it urgent, as I don't get scratched very often.
Roxy does the most "damage" to me with her claws, as she loves
to knead me around my neck and collarbone while cuddling, but
then she's also the easiest to clip, so it pretty much works
out. Still, it would be nice to know how to do it successfully,
on cats who've grown up unaccustomed to having that done.

Joyce, you're so lucky it isn't urgent! With Bonnie, it's like
that, because she's docile (for the most part) but with the
others, they injure each other with their claws! I've had two eye
injuries that needed vet care (not MY eyes) from playing too hard
and someone gets a clawed eye. Rhett was the most recent victim,
and surprisingly, I think Bonnie did it.

I also wanted to add something I forgot to mention in my initial
post, and that is to not get freaked out if you accidentally cut
one too short and you see blood. Yes, it's painful, but it's an
accident, and it happens. Good news is that the pain doesn't seem
to last long (think of how much it hurts to break a nail, but the
pain fades). It's good to keep styptic powder in the first-aid kit
for accidents like these.

http://www.drsfostersmith.com/produc...188x006&ctt=64

or

http://tinyurl.com/dcbk7

--
Cheryl
Old February 18th 06, 02:19 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes

On 2006-02-17, Chakolate penned:
If you're one of the lucky ones who has a cat that doesn't object to
claw clipping, well, pbthbththbbtth to you.

Do you have a method I can try? Have you ever used a hood? Help!

Oscar's my first cat, and I never clip her claws. A vet did it to her
once, and she would jump up on the couch and slide right off! It
seemed downright humiliating, so I never let them do it again.

I guess we're just lucky; she seems fine. She does have a plethora of
scratching posts that she uses enthusiastically, so maybe that's why
it doesn't seem to be a problem. Do your cats enjoy any form of
scratching device?

--
monique, who spoils Oscar unmercifully