Survey

Old April 8th 05, 10:10 PM
CatNipped

Default Survey

There is a lot of history going on here in rpch+b that I don't know (or even
wish to know). But I *would* like to know more about the experiences people
here have had with cats.

To that end, if you wouldn't mind I'd like to see if I could get some data
that might help me formulate opinions or weigh advice. So that you'll have
the same from me, I'll answer this first [my answers are in brackets].

[Please note, this is as unbiased as I can possibly make it and certainly
*not* meant to start controversy, but if you feel a question is phrased in a
provocative manner please feel free to change it. I'm not asking for or
giving opinions, only data.]

How many cats to you currently live with?

[four]

What are their ages and sex?

[15, 6, 5, 1 - all female]

Are they purebred or moggies?

[all moggies, though Sammy seems to have a *lot* of Maine Coon in her
ancestry]

Are they neutered or spayed, if so at what age?

[yes, all were spayed either before their first heat (Demi and Sammy) or
shortly after their first heat (Bandit and Jessie) all at 5 or 6 months of
age]

Have they been bred or had a litter before you got them (I'm interested in
what health issue might or might not be associated with this)?

[all - no]

What type of food do you offer you cats, canned, moist, or dry?

[canned twice a day and free-feed dry - I have two feeding stations, one
upstairs and one downstairs, both with water bowls cleaned twice daily and a
"Drinkwell" fountain]

Are they indoor only, mostly indoor, equally indoor and outdoor, mostly
outdoor, only outdoor?

[indoor only]

How many cats have you lived with over the years of your life?

[15 in 54 years (you don't have to tell your age too, but I'm old as dirt so
I don't mind doing so)]

Have you ever worked with cats in a veterinarian's office?

[no]

Have you ever worked with cats in a rescue organization?

[no, just donate funds]

Have you ever had any formal schooling regarding animal husbandry or cats in
particular?

[no]

How many non-fiction books have you read about cats?

[roughly 25 or 30 - *many* more than that fictional books about cats]

Can you recommend any of those books as being helpful or valid in your
experience?

[I'll have to go through my library - don't remember any that stand out and
I'm at work right now]

Have you had many experience with cats' illnesses, if so what were they?

[except for Bandit's recent injury, no, I've been lucky]

Have you ever had to administer subQ fluids or injected medicines to a cat?

[no]

That's it - I'll probably think of more questions later, and I'd appreciate
it if you wuold add your questions to this.

Thanks!

Hugs,

CatNipped

Old April 8th 05, 10:20 PM
Priscilla Ballou

In article ,
"CatNipped" wrote:

How many cats to you currently live with?

Four

What are their ages and sex?

F 6.5 years
M 6.5 years
M 4.25 years
M 8 months

Are they purebred or moggies?

Moggies

Are they neutered or spayed, if so at what age?

F - spayed at 12 weeks
M - neutered at 12 weeks
Mx2 - neutered at 6 months

Have they been bred or had a litter before you got them (I'm interested in
what health issue might or might not be associated with this)?

No

What type of food do you offer you cats, canned, moist, or dry?

Canned with 1 or 2 meals per month of home cooked (liver, fish, chicken
etc.)

Are they indoor only, mostly indoor, equally indoor and outdoor, mostly
outdoor, only outdoor?

Indoor only

How many cats have you lived with over the years of your life?

1 as a child
6 in adulthood (1, then 1, then built from 2 up to 4)

Have you ever worked with cats in a veterinarian's office?

No

Have you ever worked with cats in a rescue organization?

No. Donate monthly.

Have you ever had any formal schooling regarding animal husbandry or cats in
particular?

No.

How many non-fiction books have you read about cats?

I've probably referred to 6 or 8.

Can you recommend any of those books as being helpful or valid in your
experience?

I found _Twisted Whiskers_ by (author cannot be brought to mind at the
moment) a lot. It's about behavioral health.

Have you had many experience with cats' illnesses, if so what were they?

Urinary blockage in males, hyperthyroid, liver cancer, heart murmur,
diarrhea of unknown origin, minor bugs.

Have you ever had to administer subQ fluids or injected medicines to a cat?

No.

Priscilla
--
"You can't welcome someone into a body of Christ and then say only
certain rooms are open." -- dancertm in alt.religion.christian.episcopal
Old April 8th 05, 10:21 PM
Joe Canuck

CatNipped wrote:

There is a lot of history going on here in rpch+b that I don't know (or even
wish to know). But I *would* like to know more about the experiences people
here have had with cats.

To that end, if you wouldn't mind I'd like to see if I could get some data
that might help me formulate opinions or weigh advice. So that you'll have
the same from me, I'll answer this first [my answers are in brackets].

[Please note, this is as unbiased as I can possibly make it and certainly
*not* meant to start controversy, but if you feel a question is phrased in a
provocative manner please feel free to change it. I'm not asking for or
giving opinions, only data.]

survey snipped

You realize of course people may embellish their "qualifications" and
you will have no way of knowing it.

Old April 8th 05, 10:25 PM
Mathew Kagis

SNIP
How many cats to you currently live with?

two

What are their ages and sex?

9 month female, 6 month male

Are they purebred or moggies?

moggies, Chablis is tuxedo bl/wh, longhair. Muscat, DSH all black.

Are they neutered or spayed, if so at what age?

yes...Came to me that way from the shelter. Chablis at 8 weeks, Muscat at 3
months.

Have they been bred or had a litter before you got them (I'm interested in
what health issue might or might not be associated with this)?

no

What type of food do you offer you cats, canned, moist, or dry?

dry, Wellness & California Natural Chicken & rice. They get wet treats a
few times a week & a dried salmon treat which they love. I also have started
giving them the occasional raw meal (2 so far).
Are they indoor only, mostly indoor, equally indoor and outdoor, mostly
outdoor, only outdoor?

indoor/outdoor... About 2/3 indoor, no nightime roaming.

How many cats have you lived with over the years of your life?

including childhood pets, 6

Have you ever worked with cats in a veterinarian's office?

no

Have you ever worked with cats in a rescue organization?

no

Have you ever had any formal schooling regarding animal husbandry or cats

in
particular?

no

How many non-fiction books have you read about cats?

3 and lots of web & TED inspired reasearch

Can you recommend any of those books as being helpful or valid in your
experience?

'Natural Healing for Dogs & Cats' ISBN# 1-57954-461-4

Have you had many experience with cats' illnesses, if so what were they?

Couple of abcesses. Chablis came from the shelter with worms. Muscat came
from the shelter with an upper resp. infection... Which he gave to Chablis.

Have you ever had to administer subQ fluids or injected medicines to a

cat?
no, oral only, liquid & pill.

--
Mathew
Butler to 2 kittens: Chablis & Muscat

Old April 8th 05, 10:36 PM
CatNipped

"Joe Canuck" wrote in message
CatNipped wrote:

There is a lot of history going on here in rpch+b that I don't know (or
even wish to know). But I *would* like to know more about the
experiences people here have had with cats.

To that end, if you wouldn't mind I'd like to see if I could get some
data that might help me formulate opinions or weigh advice. So that
you'll have the same from me, I'll answer this first [my answers are in
brackets].

[Please note, this is as unbiased as I can possibly make it and certainly
*not* meant to start controversy, but if you feel a question is phrased
in a provocative manner please feel free to change it. I'm not asking
for or giving opinions, only data.]

survey snipped

You realize of course people may embellish their "qualifications" and you
will have no way of knowing it.

You know, I really *didn't* think of that - I'm blushing and quite abashed
and appalled at yet again showing my naiveté. Hopefully, though, folks will
be honest - this isn't a contest about who knows the most.... um, I'm doing
it again aren't I???!! sigh

Hugs,

CatNipped

Old April 8th 05, 11:14 PM
Mary

"Joe Canuck" wrote in message
CatNipped wrote:

[...]

Well if they are sad enough to do that, I'm all for letting them.

Old April 8th 05, 11:15 PM
Mary

"CatNipped" wrote in message
"Joe Canuck" wrote in message
CatNipped wrote:

[...]

Post what you like. A survey is a great idea. There are people who
will find it entertaining and people who don't. That's the nature of
a free and open forum.

Old April 8th 05, 11:30 PM
Cathy Friedmann

"CatNipped" wrote in message
There is a lot of history going on here in rpch+b that I don't know (or

even
wish to know). But I *would* like to know more about the experiences

people
here have had with cats.

To that end, if you wouldn't mind I'd like to see if I could get some data
that might help me formulate opinions or weigh advice. So that you'll

have
the same from me, I'll answer this first [my answers are in brackets].

[Please note, this is as unbiased as I can possibly make it and certainly
*not* meant to start controversy, but if you feel a question is phrased in

provocative manner please feel free to change it. I'm not asking for or
giving opinions, only data.]

How many cats to you currently live with?

Two

What are their ages and sex?

13 - female
5 (or maybe 6) - male

(actual birth dates not known for either one)

Are they purebred or moggies?

Moggies - a LH calico and a "tuxedo"

Are they neutered or spayed, if so at what age?

Yes:

female - don't know age - was already spayed when adopted at approx. 1 yr.
old
male - neutered when several (guestimate 7 - 11) months old

Have they been bred or had a litter before you got them (I'm interested in
what health issue might or might not be associated with this)?

Not AFAIK (no history known before each adoption)

What type of food do you offer you cats, canned, moist, or dry?

Dry. They sometimes have canned, but prefer dry. Given smallish amounts in
the morning, late afternoon, & in evening

Are they indoor only, mostly indoor, equally indoor and outdoor, mostly
outdoor, only outdoor?

Indoor only, except they have access to a screened-in porch when I'm at
home, as long as the weather's warm enough to keep the LR/porch door open.
Access to porch once in a while in the winter - for short periods of time.

How many cats have you lived with over the years of your life?

Four, since age 23.

First cat was a female - adopted as a kitten in '73; she died in '91, at age
17.

Second cat was adopted in very late '86, when she was slightly less than 2
yr. old (AFAIK - actual birth date unknown) - she died in 2001, at age 16.

Have you ever worked with cats in a veterinarian's office?

No

Have you ever worked with cats in a rescue organization?

No; donate occasionally - cash &/or old towels, throw rugs, food

Have you ever had any formal schooling regarding animal husbandry or cats

in
particular?

No

How many non-fiction books have you read about cats?

Don't know - never kept track; maybe 5?

Can you recommend any of those books as being helpful or valid in your
experience?

None are stuck in my memory...

Have you had many experience with cats' illnesses, if so what were they?

Yes:

Idiopathic vestibular syndrome
Hyperthyroidism
Liver disease (acute, then chronic)
CRF
kitty "colds"

Have you ever had to administer subQ fluids or injected medicines to a

cat?

Yes:

sub-Q fluids
Procrit

Cathy

Old April 8th 05, 11:33 PM
Cheryl

On Fri 08 Apr 2005 05:10:08p, CatNipped wrote in
rec.pets.cats.health+behav ):

How many cats to you currently live with?

4

What are their ages and sex?

3.5 - M
2.5 - F
7 mo - M&F littermates

Are they purebred or moggies?

beautiful moggies

Are they neutered or spayed, if so at what age?

Yes. littermates, at 3mo (male) and 4mo (female), shamrock, 1yr (he
was a stray found at 1yr old) Bonnie (really unknown, but she was
probably 6mo at time of spay but could be much later (she was a
feral that I trapped).

Have they been bred or had a litter before you got them (I'm
interested in what health issue might or might not be associated
with this)?

No.

What type of food do you offer you cats, canned, moist, or dry?

canned and dry

Are they indoor only, mostly indoor, equally indoor and outdoor,
mostly outdoor, only outdoor?

indoor with access to an outdoor fully enclosed "playpen" when the
weather is nice

How many cats have you lived with over the years of your life?

counting foster cats, about 15

Have you ever worked with cats in a veterinarian's office?

no

Have you ever worked with cats in a rescue organization?

yes

Have you ever had any formal schooling regarding animal
husbandry or cats in particular?

no

How many non-fiction books have you read about cats?

maybe 5?

Can you recommend any of those books as being helpful or valid
in your experience?

yes

Have you had many experience with cats' illnesses, if so what
were they?

unfortunately, yes. megacolon, IBD, FELV, URIs (shelter "side-
effect")

Have you ever had to administer subQ fluids or injected
medicines to a cat?

yes

--
Cheryl

"The clever cat eats cheese and breathes down rat holes with baited
breath."
- W.C. Fields
Old April 8th 05, 11:41 PM
Joe Canuck

Mary wrote:
"Joe Canuck" wrote in message

CatNipped wrote:

[...]

Not that you have any say about it... in reference to your "I'm all for
letting them" comment.