Memorialize your pet

Old July 29th 11, 08:53 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
jmcquown[_2_]

Default Memorialize your pet

"DawgMommy" wrote in message
Chance's Spot, Pet Loss and Support Resources invites you to

(Massive cross-posting snipped)

SPAM SPAM SPAM!

I've been waiting all summer for this and I don't have a recipe ready!
Hmmm. How about pan-fried flounder (or any mild white fish) and steamed
yellow squash and zucchini?

I love Zatarain's fish fry coating. It's slightly spicy. Dip the fish in
buttermilk. If you don't have buttermilk you can make your own by adding 1
Tbs. white vinegar to a cup of milk. Dip the fish in the milk, then dredge
it in the fish fry coating. (Barring having Zatarain's you can use a blend
of 2 parts cornmeal, 1 part flour, salt & pepper and optional, a little
ground cayenne pepper for some heat.) Place the coated fish on a sheet of
waxed paper to set. Heat a little bit of oil (you want a neutral oil like
vegetable oil or corn oil, NOT olive oil) in a skillet. Pan fry the fish
until golden brown on each side, turning carefully. The fish is done when
it flakes easily (and it will fall apart, so use a wide spatula!)

In the meantime, you'll have sliced the squash and placed it in a steamer
basket over boiling salted water. Sprinkle some basil or an Italian herb
blend over the squash. Reduce the heat to a simmer. Cover and cook for
about 20 minutes until the squash is fork tender.

Delicious dinner that doesn't include SPAM!

Jill

Old July 29th 11, 09:34 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
CatNipped[_4_]

On 7/29/2011 2:53 PM, jmcquown wrote:

"DawgMommy" wrote in message
[...]

Mmmmmmm... that sounds good - we haven't had fried fish in a while. I'd
add french fries to the menu just to add calories, but definitely keep
the squash.

--
Hugs,

CatNipped

See the RPCA FAQ site, created by "Yowie", maintained by Mark Edwards, at:
http://www.professional-geek.net/rpcablog/

Old July 29th 11, 10:18 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
jmcquown[_2_]

"DawgMommy" wrote in message
[...]

If you want to you can coat and fry the squash, too! Yummy stuff!

Jill

Old July 29th 11, 10:32 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
CatNipped[_4_]

"DawgMommy" wrote in message
[...]

Oh yeah, I love fried squash - and fried okra too.

Old July 29th 11, 10:46 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Phoenix[_2_]

On 7/29/2011 4:18 PM, jmcquown wrote:
If you want to you can coat and fry the squash, too! Yummy stuff!

Or, if you want something really nummy I learned from The
Splendid Table, go pick about half a dozen nice fresh sage
leaves*, put some olive oil in a skillet, and frizzle the sage
leaves until they are crispy. Slotted spatula to take them out
and put them on a piece of paper towel to drain. Meanwhile, toss
in your sliced summer squash/zucchini and saute it until it's
cooked through (which doesn't take too long). Lift the squash
slices out with the slotted spatula (to let oil drip back) and
put it onto a serving platter. Then crumble the sage leaves over
the squash, add some fresh ground pepper and, if you like, a
sprinkle of salt.

Divine!

Deborah

* doesn't everyone grow sage in their garden or on their deck or
in their kitchen window or something? along with basil, and
rosemary, and thyme and....? Yeah, it REALLY needs to be fresh
sage, not the dried kind from a little bottle.
Old July 29th 11, 11:51 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
jmcquown[_2_]

"Phoenix" wrote in message
[...]

I don't have a garden. I'm just not into gardening, not even the container
variety. Similar method to yours with the basil: fried spinach leaves! I
used to work at a restaurant that deep fried spinach leaves and used them as
a bed for marinated broiled chicken. Yum!

Jill

Old July 31st 11, 02:12 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
jmcquown[_2_]

"Phoenix" wrote in message
[...]

My mistake... I mentioned basil in my other post, not sage. And no, I don't
have a garden, not even in containers.