OT - Mini Rant

Old July 30th 11, 11:50 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
CatNipped[_4_]

Default OT - Mini Rant

I can't *STAND* those "type the text you see below" sign-in pages that
are completely indecipherable! They can put a jpeg picture on the page
that will fool "smart" software without making the user type in their
user ID and password and *GUESS* at what the picture says over and over
and over again! Some even have a "press here for audible clue" so it's
not like they don't know people have a problem with it. Sheesh, is My
Yahoo worth all the trouble??!!!

--
Hugs,

CatNipped

See the RPCA FAQ site, created by "Yowie", maintained by Mark Edwards, at:
http://www.professional-geek.net/rpcablog/

Old July 31st 11, 12:46 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Joy

"CatNipped" wrote in message
I can't *STAND* those "type the text you see below" sign-in pages that are
completely indecipherable! They can put a jpeg picture on the page that
will fool "smart" software without making the user type in their user ID
and password and *GUESS* at what the picture says over and over and over
again! Some even have a "press here for audible clue" so it's not like
they don't know people have a problem with it. Sheesh, is My Yahoo worth
all the trouble??!!!

--
Hugs,

CatNipped

I agree with you. One website I use has actually gone to using a font you
can read. It's a fairly unusual font, but it mixes upper and lower case,
and is definitely possible to read what you're supposed to copy. I don't
know why they can't all do that.

Joy

Old July 31st 11, 02:40 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
[email protected]

Joy wrote:

"CatNipped" wrote in message
I can't *STAND* those "type the text you see below" sign-in pages that are
completely indecipherable! They can put a jpeg picture on the page that
will fool "smart" software without making the user type in their user ID
and password and *GUESS* at what the picture says over and over and over
again! Some even have a "press here for audible clue" so it's not like
they don't know people have a problem with it. Sheesh, is My Yahoo worth
all the trouble??!!!

--
Hugs,

CatNipped

I agree with you. One website I use has actually gone to using a font you
can read. It's a fairly unusual font, but it mixes upper and lower case,
and is definitely possible to read what you're supposed to copy. I don't
know why they can't all do that.

A jpg wouldn't work to defeat bots trying to subscribe (or log on, etc).
There's plenty of image processing software out there with character
recognition that could decipher that pretty easily.

I find these moderately annoying, but I realize that unfortunately, they're
necessary. The only time it really bothers me is when a site is designed
to be like a fortress by a self-important developer, for a site that wouldn't
be worth hacking anyway. Protect my bank account any way you can. But do we
really need to get through all that security to read a stupid magazine article??

Joyce

--
"Bacteria, with a few more bells and whistles."
-- Bonnie Bassler, describing human beings

OT - Mini Rant, Fast Food CatNipped[_4_] Cat anecdotes 61 November 29th 10 12:36 AM
OT - LAST Mini Rant CatNipped[_4_] Cat anecdotes 22 November 5th 10 10:05 PM
OT Ok I am annoyed RANT RANT RANT Matthew AKA NMR \( NO MORE RETAIL \) Cat anecdotes 7 March 30th 06 12:13 AM
Mini me? TBird Cat anecdotes 5 January 9th 05 10:30 PM
FF mini update Magic Mood JeepĀ© Cat anecdotes 12 July 16th 04 12:40 PM