Cat with diarhea

Old February 15th 04, 08:03 PM
Linda E

Default Cat with diarhea

5 yo started with loose stools this a.m. No change in food, is eating
*almost* normaly... (not quite as much as normal, but probably what she
should *normaly* eat - has tendancy to overeat).

Is there anything I can give her to help? She gets some canned food in the
a.m... should I *not* give it to her tomorrow a.m.? Thanks.

Old February 15th 04, 10:48 PM
Linda E

"Laura R." wrote in message
.. .
circa Sun, 15 Feb 2004 22:05:09 GMT, in rec.pets.cats.health+behav,
Linda E ) said,
Thanks. We will definately see the vet if she still has it tomorrow.

(I
am no stranger to vet visits... have the number memorized!)

I struggle to remember my own phone number, but I can still rattle
off my old veterinarians' number without thinking twice. I don't have
the new vets' number down yet, though.

Anyway, I'm actually responding to tell you that the vet can give you
kitty-Immodium if necessary. IIRC, it's the same drug as people
Immodium, just generic and lower-dose.

Laura

Thanks, Laura... that's good to know...... I'm sure Betsy is getting tired
of me chasing her around with a washcloth to wipe her butt!

Linda

Old February 15th 04, 11:19 PM
---MIKE---

You might try getting some acidolphulis capsules (sp) at a health food
store. Open the capsules and mix the powder with the canned food (it
has no taste). This will replace the intestinal bacteria IF they are
depleted. Plain LIVE CULTURE yoghurt would accomplish the same thing if
the cat will eat it.

-MIKE

Old February 15th 04, 11:36 PM
Cheryl

---MIKE--- wrote in on
15 Feb 2004:

Plain LIVE CULTURE yoghurt would accomplish the same thing if
the cat will eat it.

If it is intestinal, rarely will the good bacteria from yogurt reach the
intestines. I kept reading that it will help, but too many articles stated
that it really doesn't.

--
Cheryl

Trapped like rats. In a chia-pet.
MIB II

Old February 16th 04, 02:58 AM
Cheryl

Laura R. wrote in on 15
Feb 2004:

Phil must have missed the part where I said that *your vet can give
you* something for the diarrhea.

I almost put in my post that vets will sometimes prescribe a round of
Flagyl for diarrhea but left it out knowing someone would balk at the
suggestion of meds. But it isn't bad for Linda to know some of the
possibile meds just in case her vet doesn't suggest trying them.

Old February 16th 04, 05:06 AM
Sherry

Plain LIVE CULTURE yoghurt would accomplish the same thing if
the cat will eat it.

If it is intestinal, rarely will the good bacteria from yogurt reach the
intestines. I kept reading that it will help, but too many articles stated
that it really doesn't.

--
Cheryl

Wouldn't yogurt make the diarrhea worse, especially if the cat was lactose
intolerant?

Sherry