Cat grass growing tips

Old February 4th 05, 11:42 PM
blair thompson

Default Cat grass growing tips

I need some advice on growing grass for an indoor cat.
What is the seed of choice,how big a pot, type of soil or growing
medium, etc. in short, how does one make a pot of the stuff thrive? I
have purchased several of the little pots which, once attacked by the
cat, won't keep growing, but die back. Then it's off to the pet store
to buy another one.

Would cultivating a chunk of "turf" work indoors? Don't seem
to have much luck starting out from seed. I manage to get a single
"cash crop", and then I have a fallow field --er, pot.

Green thumb help sought. Much appreciated.

Blair
North Vancouver, B.C.
Old February 5th 05, 06:37 PM
Thomas F. Maguire

blair thompson wrote in message
I need some advice on growing grass for an indoor cat.
What is the seed of choice,how big a pot, type of soil or growing
medium, etc. in short, how does one make a pot of the stuff thrive? I
have purchased several of the little pots which, once attacked by the
cat, won't keep growing, but die back. Then it's off to the pet store
to buy another one.

Would cultivating a chunk of "turf" work indoors? Don't seem
to have much luck starting out from seed. I manage to get a single
"cash crop", and then I have a fallow field --er, pot.

Green thumb help sought. Much appreciated.

Blair
North Vancouver, B.C.

Blair,

Try this site for advice on growing cat grass like sprouts.

http://www.sproutpeople.com/grow/bits/planting.html

I use this method and grow approximately four 4" pots per week. It's a bit
of overkill for one cat, but he loves his grass to hide behind and eat.
You'll have to grow new pots at least every two weeks. There is no
re-seeding. It's a one time crop. A little work, but well worth it once you
have the method. The seed I use from the SproutPeople is a mixture of wheat,
rye, barley, oats, & flax.

Tom
--
www.DuendeDrama.org