Religious door to door callers are dense....

Old February 17th 07, 01:12 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Helen Miles

Default Religious door to door callers are dense....

This is a minor rant, so bear with me...

JW's are quite possibly THE most annoying people on the planet. I have a
BIG sign on my front door that says

"No salespeople, NO religious callers, NO political canvasing. Official
callers must have ID."

To me, that is perfectly clear. I don't like to be disturbed by people I
am not expecting as it disrupts the cats and it invades my privacy.

JW's just don't get the hint though. Apparently they are immune to signs
telling them to get lost. So, the doorbell goes at 8am this morning (a
saturday), and I get up and answer it because it might have been my
elderly neighbour needing help, which I don't mind at all. BUT, it was a
pair of bloody JW's!!!

As I pointed out that I REALLY wasn't interested, and by the way they
should learn to read, Miss Lily Whiskers slipped out between my legs and
into my front garden. The cats are absolutely not allowed out of the
front door because I live on what can be a busy road at times as it is
used as a rat-run in rush hour. That would have usually been fine as
she's done it once before and I normally just pick her up. But this
time, the JW's spooked her and she ran into the street. Fortunately she
was missed by the car coming up the street at the time, but it scared
her badly and she is now really spooked.

To say I wasn't polite to the JW's was a bit of an understatement. I
think I might have gone a bit over board when I called them illiterate
morons though. ;o)

Helen M (who is very relieved that Miss Lily Whiskers is fine)

Old February 17th 07, 02:08 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Adrian A

Helen Miles wrote:
snip
To say I wasn't polite to the JW's was a bit of an understatement. I
think I might have gone a bit over board when I called them illiterate
morons though. ;o)

Helen M (who is very relieved that Miss Lily Whiskers is fine)

It sounds to me like you showed great restraint, if Miss Lily Whiskers had
been hurt I'm sure you wouldn't think you might have gone a bit over board.
--
Adrian (Owned by Snoopy and Bagheera)
Cats leave pawprints on your heart.

Old February 17th 07, 03:15 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Marina

Helen Miles wrote:

To say I wasn't polite to the JW's was a bit of an understatement. I
think I might have gone a bit over board when I called them illiterate
morons though. ;o)

Helen M (who is very relieved that Miss Lily Whiskers is fine)

Oh, so am I! I share your views on this sort of callers. Luckily we
don't get door-to-door political canvasing here. We have a parliamentary
election coming up in March, so that would mean constant
doorbell-ringing. Actually, buzzer-ringing, then doorbell-ringing. :P

Pics at http://s120.photobucket.com/albums/o185/frankiennikki/
http://uk.pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/frankiennikki/
http://community.webshots.com/user/frankiennikki
Old February 17th 07, 03:42 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Enfilade

To say I wasn't polite to the JW's was a bit of an understatement. I
think I might have gone a bit over board when I called them illiterate
morons though. ;o)

One of the nice things about being a witch is that if you tell JWs
that, they don't come back.

--Fil

Old February 17th 07, 04:05 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Ketzl's Dad

On Sat, 17 Feb 2007 07:12:37 -0500, Helen Miles wrote:

This is a minor rant, so bear with me...

JW's are quite possibly THE most annoying people on the planet. I have a
BIG sign on my front door that says

I'm always torn between "having a go with them" and telling them politely to
please leave. Since I moved to New York (doorman building) I haven't been
bothered by JWs but before that they came regularly.

Here, however, we have Jews for Jesus (one meets them in the street or subway
stations), and I find them really quite amusing. They always think they know
more about Jesus than I do until I tell them I was raised Catholic but am now
recovering, etc. etc. and I have fun dodging or returning their comments. For
some reason I feel these kids (because that's what they are, usually) mean
well, as opposed to the proselytizers who used to knock on my door and try to
come inside to "save me" from myself.

I suppose if it were to happen now, I could introduce them to Ketzl, my
familiar. :-)

--
Joey DoWop Dee
Remember: It is To Laugh

Old February 17th 07, 04:27 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Magic Mood JeepŠ

In news:44b6b0b84818663593fb5d870827c2fd.76411@mygate .mailgate.org,
Helen Miles purred:
[...]

Here, if you have signs posted (be it a business or a home) that state "No
Solicitation" (that means no salespeople, charity fund collections or
religious recruiters), and they don't leave when asked, they can be
arrested - or escorted off the premised by police at any rate.

Answer the door with a cordless (or cell) phone in hand, and as soon as you
find out it's a JW (or whatever), start dialing the authorities with one
hand and pointing to the sign with the other. If they don't get the hint,
shut the door and let the authorities deal with them.

Old February 17th 07, 05:36 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Ted Davis

On 17 Feb 2007 06:42:40 -0800, "Enfilade"
wrote:

To say I wasn't polite to the JW's was a bit of an understatement. I
think I might have gone a bit over board when I called them illiterate
morons though. ;o)

One of the nice things about being a witch is that if you tell JWs
that, they don't come back.

It is curious that they think they have the right to force you to
listen to - and accept - their twist on religion, they also think you
have no right even to suggest that they listen to yours.

--
T.E.D. ) Remove "gearbox.maem" to get real address - that one is dead
Old February 17th 07, 05:40 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Pat

"Helen Miles" wrote

| JW's are quite possibly THE most annoying people on the planet. I have a
| BIG sign on my front door that says
|
| "No salespeople, NO religious callers, NO political canvasing. Official
| callers must have ID."
|
| To me, that is perfectly clear. I don't like to be disturbed by people I
| am not expecting as it disrupts the cats and it invades my privacy.
|
| JW's just don't get the hint though. Apparently they are immune to signs
| telling them to get lost. So, the doorbell goes at 8am this morning (a
| saturday), and I get up and answer it because it might have been my
| elderly neighbour needing help, which I don't mind at all. BUT, it was a
| pair of bloody JW's!!!
|
| As I pointed out that I REALLY wasn't interested, and by the way they
| should learn to read, Miss Lily Whiskers slipped out between my legs and
| into my front garden. The cats are absolutely not allowed out of the
| front door because I live on what can be a busy road at times as it is
| used as a rat-run in rush hour. That would have usually been fine as
| she's done it once before and I normally just pick her up. But this
| time, the JW's spooked her and she ran into the street. Fortunately she
| was missed by the car coming up the street at the time, but it scared
| her badly and she is now really spooked.
|
| To say I wasn't polite to the JW's was a bit of an understatement. I
| think I might have gone a bit over board when I called them illiterate
| morons though. ;o)
|
| Helen M (who is very relieved that Miss Lily Whiskers is fine)

I hope you told them not to come back, too?

Around here there don't seem to be any JWs but we do have young Mormons
going door-to-door. They are very polite and won't keep coming back after
you manage to drive them off, and that is hard to do politely. I finally
figured out what it takes, you only need to make an appointment for them to
explain their fable to you, and then let your attention wander while they
are telling it. Or stand up and look at a rabbit, point at it and say,
"Where do you think it lives?"

I've learned to always peek out the window to see who is on the porch before
opening the door.

Old February 17th 07, 06:01 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
mlbriggs

On Sat, 17 Feb 2007 12:12:37 +0000, Helen Miles wrote:

[...]

Suggestion: If you can perhaps a screen door would serve you well. MLB

Old February 17th 07, 06:32 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
wafflycat

"Helen Miles" wrote in message
news:44b6b0b84818663593fb5d870827c2fd.76411@mygate .mailgate.org...
This is a minor rant, so bear with me...

I am reminded of the story that appeared in the press some time ago. I'm
going from the memory amoeba in my brain and it's not 100% effective, so
this may not be entirely correct..

Basically a woman was so tee'd off with the local JWs calling at her house
despite her not being interested and saying so, she decided to get her own
back. She started interrupting their meetings. She did not join in the
meetings, she interrupted them to start talking about stuff she was
interested in but they weren't. This finally caused them to take the hint
;-)