Totally OT. China

Old January 6th 10, 04:24 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Jofirey

Default Snack-Grabbing @ O'Hare IA OT

"Takayuki" wrote in message
"EvelynVogtGamble(Divamanque)" wrote:
Does anyone besides me remember when air travel used to be FUN?

You mean back when airline service was subsidized by the
government,
and you were supposed to dress up to ride on a plane?

They aren't far from making us all change into prison jumpsuits
before we're allowed on a plane, so maybe that will again qualify as
'dressing up'

I'm thinking its about time for us old farts that used to like to fly
and who would like to actually be able to enjoy our retirement filed
a class action suit that would get us on airplanes hassle free.

Remember when one would go to 'see someone off' at the airport?
Tomorrow I'm sending my two young adult grandsons off on their first
plane trip alone and I really don't have much choice but to drop them
off at the curb at the airport and hope for the best. Nothing I can
do to help once they go inside anyway.

Jo
Jo

Old January 6th 10, 04:32 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
[email protected]

Takayuki wrote:

"EvelynVogtGamble(Divamanque)" wrote:

Does anyone besides me remember when air travel used to be FUN?

You mean back when airline service was subsidized by the government,
and you were supposed to dress up to ride on a plane?

I've never heard that the gov't subsidized air travel.

I prefer dressing very comfy when I fly, because my main activity on
planes is to sleep. However, I'd be willing to dress up nicely if the
government offered to subsidize my fare!

Joyce

--
I used to think that life should be fair. But then I realized it's
better that life is unfair. If life is fair, that would mean we deserve
Old January 6th 10, 12:17 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Cheryl[_5_]

wrote:
Takayuki wrote:

"EvelynVogtGamble(Divamanque)" wrote:

Does anyone besides me remember when air travel used to be FUN?

You mean back when airline service was subsidized by the government,
and you were supposed to dress up to ride on a plane?

I've never heard that the gov't subsidized air travel.

I prefer dressing very comfy when I fly, because my main activity on
planes is to sleep. However, I'd be willing to dress up nicely if the
government offered to subsidize my fare!

Joyce

I think a lot of airlines get government help. I read somewhere that
none of them, since airplanes were invented, ever made a profit on their
passenger service. I don't know if that's true, but it seems like all
the airlines I ever knew are either no longer in business or are in
business, but have gone through various periods of near-bankruptcy and
promises to provide services to X, Y or Z in return for subsidies.

I, too, like to dress comfortably when I travel, but I can remember when
that wasn't a typical choice; many people dressed up a bit. But (in
reference to another comment), I've almost never been seen off at the
gate by anyone - or even, in recent years, outside Security. Partly
that's because most of the travel I've done in some years is connected
to work and/or it would be extremely inconvenient for any friends or
relatives to drive me to an airport, or pick me up from one - no car,
working etc. But we don't tend to do farewells at airports or bus
stations in my family anyway; we just say good-bye at the house.

--
Cheryl
Old January 6th 10, 05:16 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Jofirey

wrote in message
Takayuki wrote:

"EvelynVogtGamble(Divamanque)" wrote:

Does anyone besides me remember when air travel used to be FUN?

You mean back when airline service was subsidized by the
government,
and you were supposed to dress up to ride on a plane?

I've never heard that the gov't subsidized air travel.

I prefer dressing very comfy when I fly, because my main activity
on
planes is to sleep. However, I'd be willing to dress up nicely if
the
government offered to subsidize my fare!

Joyce

The government has subsidized transportation in various forms as long
as I know. They still subsidies some of the costs of keeping the
airlines going.

Just as an example, the main reason for the huge cash settlements
paid to the families of 9/11 victims was to prevent huge lawsuits
that would have destroyed air travel in this country completely.

I'm quite sure the airlines do not bear the the cost of the FAA.

Jo

Old January 7th 10, 12:48 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Kyla `=^..^=`

"MatSav"
bastXXXette
John F. Eldredge wrote:

If the US is going to start enforcing the "no use of the airplane
bathroom during the last hour of flight" rule, as reported, one
would hope that they _won't_ serve coffee except toward the
beginning of long flights. Otherwise, they are likely to end up
with some wet seats.

I've obviously missed a piece of news - I haven't heard about this.
Could someone tell me *why*?? Please don't tell me this has something
to do with terrorism.

On Christmas Day 2009, a terrorist tried (but failed) to detonate a
chemical bomb that was moulded to fit his body and sewn into his
underwear. The incident caused a fire, rather than explosion, on a flight
from The Yemen (via Amsterdam) into Detroit.

--
MatSav

Pardon the pun, but that is totally nuts...
The plane was supposed to depart from Detroit and head to Seattle, IIIRC.
That piece of news has also been on Jon Stewart and Stephen Colbert.
They were talking about full body searches, in jest, but...who knows, these
days?

Kyla

Old January 7th 10, 03:21 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes

Jofirey wrote:

wrote in message
"EvelynVogtGamble(Divamanque)" wrote:

Does anyone besides me remember when air travel used to be FUN? In
addition to all the annoying restrictions supposed to foil

terrorists,
Southwest Airlines has now decided no more pillows and blankets,

due to
concerns about spreading Swine Flu. (Don't they SANITIZE them

between
uses?)

I dread my next flight. One of my main goals when flying is to sleep for
as much of the trip as possible. How will I be able to do that if the
airline isn't going to supply pillows and I'm not allowed to bring my own
on board?? I'm going to have to dress in several layers, so I can remove
the outer layers to use those as a pillow.

I think they have inflatable pillows you can buy to take on the plane.
Though they don't sound very comfortable to me.

I have a couple. They're comfortable enough, but like most of those
"travel comfort" items, take up space in your limited carry-on luggage.
(Not a LOT of space, but if you're trying to make-do with a backpack or
dufflebag, you may not have it to spare.)
Old January 7th 10, 04:07 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Jofirey

"EvelynVogtGamble(Divamanque)" wrote in
message ...

Jofirey wrote:

wrote in message
[...]

Remember, its a carry on bag AND another carryon item such as a purse
or laptop case or backpack. I finally got Charlie to carry a
backpack on our last two trips and he is now a big fan.

I carry a backpack instead of a purse. Actually I have a small purse
and put it inside the backpack.

Jo

China at the vet again BfloPolska Cat anecdotes 9 June 21st 09 07:21 PM
China purrs? BfloPolska Cat anecdotes 9 June 16th 09 04:56 AM
China at the vet BfloPolska Cat anecdotes 10 May 22nd 09 08:41 PM
China and Fluff ollie2 Cat anecdotes 9 September 1st 07 10:04 PM
China? Yowie Cat anecdotes 28 October 8th 04 02:14 AM