CRF & Constipation

Old February 18th 06, 01:14 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav

Default CRF & Constipation

Until I speak to the vet tomorrow, I was wondering if I can give my boy
some Petromalt for his constipation. Anyone have experience with vet
prescribing Lactulose? How does it work? TIA so much...

Lisa
http://www.hoosierkitties.com Hoosier Kitties- Resource links for you
about your cat
http://www.arubabound.com Aruba Bound!

Old February 18th 06, 02:40 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav

Hi Lisa,

Our CRF cat years ago used to have that problem and we'd give her
pumpkin. I would think the Petromalt would be okay, too, but the extra
fiber always seemed to help our cat.

Rhonda

Old February 18th 06, 02:55 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav

Default CRF & Cat Can't ****

Arubalisa wrote:
Until I speak to the vet tomorrow, I was wondering if I can give my boy

http://www.arubabound.com Aruba Bound!

sorry your cat is bound up
hope she takes a big dump soon

maybe someone could "stir" the litter ever so often
maybe puts her in the mood

if I go in the woods? theres something about being in the woods that
makes you wanna take a big dump

Old February 18th 06, 04:27 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav

Let me know if you don't get help soon. I am a Animal Health care
assist. in a very busy Veterinary hospital

Old February 18th 06, 09:57 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav

"Arubalisa" wrote in message
oups.com...
Until I speak to the vet tomorrow, I was wondering if I can give my boy
some Petromalt for his constipation. Anyone have experience with vet
prescribing Lactulose? How does it work? TIA so much...

Lactulose tastes terrible- most cats hate it, so be sure to ask your vet for
chicken or fish flavored lactulose- your cat will think its a treat. If
your vet doesn't have flavored lactulose, ask him to write a prescription
and get it filled at any human compounding pharmacy. If you try to give
your cat unflavored lactulose- it will be a nightmare-- a very messy
nightmare.

Lactulose is also very sticky and can be messy to administer. The easiest
way to give it to a cat is with a 3 cc/ml *catheter tip* syringe and with a
dispenser on the bottle.

http://www.maxshouse.com/Equipment/L...cc_syringe.jpg

Cats have a gap between their canines and carnassial teeth where the tip of
syringe fits perfectly without forcing open the cat's mouth.
Your vet will probably prescribe 2 cc twice a day. Squirt about 1/2 cc into
your cat's mouth at a time *very slowly*. Be sure to give him the
medication very slowly so he doesn't choke or aspirate the syrup into his
lungs. You'll be a pro after the 2nd time.

http://www.maxshouse.com/Illustrations/liquid_meds.jpg

Good luck,

Phil

Old February 19th 06, 01:42 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav

Suddenly, without warning, Arubalisa exclaimed (18-Feb-06 12:14 AM):
Until I speak to the vet tomorrow, I was wondering if I can give my boy
some Petromalt for his constipation. Anyone have experience with vet
prescribing Lactulose? How does it work? TIA so much...

Lisa
http://www.hoosierkitties.com Hoosier Kitties- Resource links for you
about your cat
http://www.arubabound.com Aruba Bound!

The vet has prescribed Lactulose to Meep in the past. Must be the
flavored version, 'cause I'd just squirt it on her food and she'd eat it
up, no problem. I also give her petromalt on a regular basis, now that
I'm not using the lactulose.

In getting her to drink more water for her cystitis, I also cured her
tendency to be backed up.

jmc