Best wet food for keeping cystitis away?

Old September 12th 03, 04:36 PM
Brian or Sharon Beuchaw

Default Best wet food for keeping cystitis away?

Hello,

First, let me thank y'all for the wealth of information that's been in
here and archived - it's a *wonderful* resource. It's very much
appreciated....

And hopefully this will be an easy question for y'all - our 5 year old
female recently developed cystitis w/o crystals (and from what I've read,
stress and eating dry food may aggravate it, and we just got a new kitten
a few weeks ago and she eats dry food). I've read numerous posts about
wet food being best, so we need to switch. Which wet food (readily
available at either the grocery store or Petsmart) would be best for
keeping cystitis at bay for the rest of her life? Or does it really
matter what brand as long as it's wet and the cat likes it and eats it?

She's also got the herpes virus, which flared up into a swollen eye during
her first year and again about 3 years later, so we're thinking it's
possible the cystitis could recur if it's aggravated by the virus and
stress.

Thanks much for any answers....

brian
--
If you want to reply to this message by mail, you will
have to change the reply address to

Old September 12th 03, 05:04 PM
Gail

The best wet foods, in my opinion, are the low magnesium ones found in pet
stores and some in grocery stores. These are Max Cat canned foods, Iams,
and Science Diet.
Gail

Old September 12th 03, 05:28 PM
PawsForThought

From: "Gail"

[...]

Personally I don't care for IAMS (owned by Proctor & Gamble) or Science Diet
(owned by Colgage & Palmolive), mostly because the companies that own these
foods do animal testing on their products. Also, when I fed Science Diet in
the past, my cats never did very well on it. I think as long as you feed a
high quality canned food that should be good. I dont' feed commercial food but
my friends who do have cats that do well on Petguard, Felidae, or Wellness.
These foods should be available at a large health food market like Whole Foods
or Wild Oats, or small pet supply stores.

Lauren
________
See my cats:
http://community.webshots.com/album/56955940rWhxAe
Old September 12th 03, 05:28 PM
PawsForThought

Old September 12th 03, 05:28 PM
PawsForThought

Old September 13th 03, 01:47 AM
GAUBSTER2

Personally I don't care for IAMS (owned by Proctor & Gamble) or Science Diet
(owned by Colgage & Palmolive), mostly because the companies that own these
foods do animal testing on their products.

Here we go again. Colgate doesn't do animal testing on their products. Why
slander them?

Also, when I fed Science Diet in
the past, my cats never did very well on it.

My cats have always done fantastic on it.

I dont' feed commercial food but
my friends who do have cats that do well on Petguard, Felidae, or Wellness.
These foods should be available at a large health food market like Whole
Foods
or Wild Oats, or small pet supply stores.

Those are all foods that are appropriate only for kittens and not adult or
senior cats. Not to mention the fact that they haven't done animal feeding
trials. What have they got to hide?