A *real* cat treat!

Old September 26th 07, 11:45 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes,alt.cats
Yugo

Default A *real* cat treat!

keywords: brittle claws gelatin cat treat catfood cat food recipe

In Gargantua's introduction, François Rabelais (1494 – 1553) says that
"Le chien ronge l'os, le rompt et suce la substantifique moëlle".
Well, it seems that not only dogs like the precious bone marrow. Cats
appreciate it just as much.

If your cat is like mine, he certainly licks the sauce of his pâté
first, then eats the rest rather unheartledly, hoping there was more
sauce, which, of course, is mainly bone marrow. So, is there some bone
marrow available on the market? Of course! In more common terms, it's
called... gelatin!

Gelating is like unflavored Jello. In America, it often comes under
the trademark Knox (Kraft Foods), but is also available in bulk at a
much cheaper price in health food stores (about $30/kilo).

So, you make a little bit less that a cup of gelatin with half a pouch
of Knox gelatin so that it stays solid at room temperature. You may
want to have the gelatin set faster by putting it in the freezer for
about half an hour, but make sure it doesn't freeze because, when it
thaws, water will get out of it.

When it is set, of almost set, add a can of cat food to flavour it.
Serve, possibly adding a few kibbles (croquettes) to add some crunch.
I also add a very little bit of crunched linseed, to help pelt and
facilitate digestion.

Serve and closely watch your cat the first time. You'll ROTFLOL. The
cat will dip his head in the bowl for about 2 minutes, licking,
licking, licking. Then raise his head and look at the bowl in the most
complete bewilderment, seeing that there's still some sauce left. If
he's like mine, the pâté will still be all left there, but he'll come
back to eat it later.

If your cat has brittle claws, this sould fix the problem. You might
have to cut his claws a little bit more often: they'll grow faster.

If you have more easy -- I still prefer to cook for myself than my cat
-- catfood recipes, I'd be really interested to read about it. My cat
even more so!