Fences - Cats - DIY?

Old September 6th 12, 05:28 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.misc,rec.pets.cats.rescue,alt.pets.cats
Julie Bove[_2_]

Default Fences - Cats - DIY?

"Billy" wrote in message
In article ,
"Julie Bove" wrote:

Hellooooooooooooooooooooooooo, Julie. You don't care if your being a
troll, or are you just unconscious?

I'm not being a troll.

Old September 10th 12, 06:39 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.misc,rec.pets.cats.rescue,alt.pets.cats,rec.gardens,misc.consumers.house
Bill Graham

Julie Bove wrote:
"Brooklyn1" Gravesend1 wrote in message
"Bill Graham" wrote:

Well, to bring the discussion back to cats, I take in strays and
feed them and water them, and offer them a warm place to sleep in
the Winter time. What I don't do is imprison them. They were free
when they came to me, and they remain free while they are with me.
Part of the reason they choose to stay with me is the fact that the
door is always open. Both for me and for them. Slavery ended (or
should have ended) back in the 19th century, both for animals and
men.

Tell the truth, **** for brains... you're another of those lazy cheap
*******s who can't exert themselves to deal with litter and pay for
it... you don't take the cat to a vet and you feed it the cheapest
crap food you can find because this isn't the first time you made
believe you are caring for an animal because you know there's no
reason to make any investment in yet another cat that you'll find
flattened in the road. I've met lots of fake do-gooders like you...
I don't believe a word you said, you don't feed any cat, you're just
trolling.

I tried to take in two strays once but Maui (my old cat) wouldn't
have them. I couldn't really afford three cats at the time anyway. I
had a feed store say that they would take them but they wound up not
doing it. They loaned me a big kennel for them and I could at least
let them sleep in that on the freezing nights in my house. It was
the only thing that kept them safe from Maui. And they willingly
came in to sleep. I did feed them.
Then my husband (we were not married yet) called around and found a
shelter that would take them if he would pay to have them spayed and
neutered, which he did.

Hopefully they went to a good home.

Yes, it can be rather expensive. We have a roving vet who makes house calls
in the Salem area, (where we live)and with five cats, it costs us over a
thousand dollars a year to keep them in good health. Oddly enough, our feral
cat, Smokey has cost us the least. Two of the females had to have operations
that ran about $800 each. One had har thyroid glands removed, and the other
had a hairball in her stomach that made it swell up until it filled her
whole abdoman. We thought it was a tumor, and we told the vet to put her
down if they couldn't remove it all. The vet opened her up, saw that it was
her stomache, opened that up, and just removed a baseball sized hairball!
Today she is fine, and that was several years ago. But at our age, my wife
and I have few hobbies, so we don't mind paying for our kitty's health.

Old September 10th 12, 06:47 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.misc,rec.pets.cats.rescue,alt.pets.cats,rec.gardens,misc.consumers.house
Bill Graham

Brooklyn1 wrote:
"Bill Graham" wrote:

[...]

Truth is, only one of our five cats goes outside to do her thing. The other
four all use the two litter boxes we keep in the house. But I know that it
is impossibler to tell a liberal anthing. They all know it all, and can't be
convinced by anything anyone else could say to them.

Old September 10th 12, 06:55 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.misc,rec.pets.cats.rescue,alt.pets.cats,rec.gardens,misc.consumers.house
Bill Graham

dgk wrote:
On Tue, 04 Sep 2012 19:24:44 -0400, Brooklyn1 Gravesend1 wrote:

"Bill Graham" wrote:

[...]

Maybe he can't afford litter? Maybe he can't afford to take cats to
the vet? I don't know. We all do what we can, that's why we're on
these groups.

I have four cats. I can keep them totally safe, locked in a small
room. Should I do that? If I give them the run of the house, maybe
they'll chew on a wire and get electrocuted. Maybe they'll eat a stray
rubber band and die of a perorated colon. Maybe find a string and eat
that, tying up their intestines. No, I'd better keep them locked in a
small room with nothing that can possible hurt them. Food bowls,
water, litterbox. No cat tree because they might jump off it and break
a leg. If I let them have the run of the house, maybe they'll break a
screen in the window and get out. That actually happend once - they
didn't get out but they could have.

I can't take any more in although I'd like to. Maybe just one more.
And maybe just one more after that. Perhaps stop at 15? 20? That's
called hoarding or collecting. Am I bad for taking care of a few
outside cats but not taking them inside? I've built them shelters, I
feed them, I've had them fixed. And yes, they stand a pretty good
chance of getting run over. I dread that happening, particularly to
the one we call Baby, but I can't fix all the problems in the world. I
can't take in every cat and keep it safe. I'd love to. If I take in
Baby, how about that new grey one that showed up, Buddy? Maybe we
should turn them into some agency where they might get adopted if
sociable enough or, far more likely, killed?

And I do feed the outside cats Friskees or 9Lives or something cheaper
than what I feed the indoor ones. It costs a lot of money, and my
spoiled cats don't even like the good food that they get. For that
matter, they don't like Friskees. They're spoiled. Sure, why buy food
that MIGHT be better for them in the long run when they're likely to
die of some accident before I could find them and get them to a vet?

So we all do what we can. Some of us believe that the quality of the
cat's life, the ability to hunt and to roam is more important than
keeping them in a safe sterile box. I'm the rare third option. Mine go
into a fenced in yard where they can dig and lie in the earth or hide
under bushes as they will. There is some risk, but they love it.
Should I make them stay inside? You think so. I think not. We both
love our cats.

I don't know where anyone got the idea that I can't afford to keep my five
cats in good health. I retired in 1996 with almost a million dollars. Today,
at 77, I am still worth a half million. Our cats get the best of medical
care from a roving vet who sees all of them about once every six months, and
we have had two of them get life saving operations at about 800 dollars
each. Just because they are "outside cats" who have front and rear cat doors
they can use at any time of the day or night, doesn't mean that they are not
well cared for at all.

Old September 10th 12, 07:00 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.misc,rec.pets.cats.rescue,alt.pets.cats,rec.gardens,misc.consumers.house
Bill Graham

dgk wrote:

"Bill Graham" wrote:

[...]

Hopefully. I'm always afraid to take cats to any organization other
than a no-kill shelter. And even that can be a problem because the cat
can stay in a small cage for a very long time. No fun for the cat.
PETA thinks that it's better for the cats to be PTS rather than live
their life in a no-kill shelter. It's a reasonable arugment.

I think so too. All of my cats were free as the wind when I got them, and
living with me, they remain free. I would rather put them down than imprison
them in a cage 24/7. My cats and I believe as Patrick Henry believed: Give
me liberty or give me death! As I said here once befo Only a stupid
liberal thinks length of life is more important than quality of life.

Old September 10th 12, 07:03 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.misc,rec.pets.cats.rescue,alt.pets.cats
Bill Graham

Billy wrote:
In article ,
dgk wrote:

On Tue, 04 Sep 2012 19:24:44 -0400, Brooklyn1 Gravesend1 wrote:

Why are you pin heads cross posting to a half dozen groups including
gardener's, consumer's groups? Are you a band of TROLLS? Or are you
just being lead by the anti-Christian Brooklyn1?

I don't know how to not cross post. How do you know from which of several
groups listed in the header the person you are answering is posting from?
Ande, if you don't know, then how can you eliminate any of the groups
without removing the one that you want to answer? So, I post to whoefver is
in the header that is already there.

Old September 10th 12, 07:13 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.misc,rec.pets.cats.rescue,alt.pets.cats
Bill Graham

Julie Bove wrote:
"Billy" wrote in message
In article ,
"Julie Bove" wrote:

Hellooooooooooooooooooooooooo, Julie. You don't care if your being a
troll, or are you just unconscious?

I'm not being a troll.

On usenet, a "troll" is anyone with whom you disagree......

Old September 10th 12, 03:48 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.misc,rec.pets.cats.rescue,alt.pets.cats,rec.gardens,misc.consumers.house
dgk

"Bill Graham" wrote:

[...]

Both count. Liberty is important but so is food and a nice place to
sleep.
Old September 11th 12, 12:46 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.misc,rec.pets.cats.rescue,alt.pets.cats,rec.gardens,misc.consumers.house
Higgs Boson

wrote:

"Brooklyn1" Gravesend1 wrote in message
. ..
"Bill Graham" wrote:

[...]

What gave you that idea?

HB
Old September 11th 12, 02:44 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.misc,rec.pets.cats.rescue,alt.pets.cats,rec.gardens,misc.consumers.house
dgk

"Bill Graham" wrote:

[...]

Three of my four cats want a comfy place to lie, nice food to eat,
toys and a slave to play with, and a warmer comfy place to lie. The
other one wants the same thing but likes to go outside once in a
while.