is this normal?

Old February 23rd 04, 09:43 AM
Phil P.

"Orchid" wrote in message
On Sun, 22 Feb 2004 17:39:12 -0500, "Phil P."
wrote:

Breeders claim that only 5-10% of the pet cats in the US are pedigrees.
That translates into about 3.5-7 million cats - The lower number is about
the number of cats killed each year in the nation's kill-shelters.

Actually, the figure is 6% of the population of OWNED cats,
which is approximately 3.8% of the cat population -- around 2.6
million.

I've read a lot of conflicting data but I think the CFA is probably
reliable - although they do tend to put their own spin on things
occasionally. The there are a lot of studies about the pet population and
distribution as well as shelter studies and stastistics published in the
Journal of Applied Animal Welfare Science that's very reliable. We
participated in a few.

Purebred cats are more likely to be indoor only cats, and
more likely to be neutered or spayed.

True. But each one that's bred still reduces the number of available homes
for cats already in shelters with the clock ticking.

However, roaming, free-breeding
cats make up 35.7% of the entire cat population -- IMO, that is where
the problem lies.

The biggesr part of the problem. Absolutely. The first step towards
reducing the overpopulation problem is dispelling the 6 month neuter policy.
Females can go into heat at *4* months. One study showed 50% of adopted
cats had a litter before they were spayed even though the owners intended to
spay their cats at the traditional 6 months. The "oops" litters are another
big part of the problem.

I'd like to see a mandatory neuter-before-adoption policy for shelters and
pet stores - we have one. With the safety of early age neutering well
established with over 30 years of studies and clinical experience, and vet
universites now teaching the procedure, an NBA policy should be mandatory.
This would eliminate the 'opps" litters (about 5 kittens/cat plus kittens
from their offspring) and litters caused by people who don't honor their
(unenforceable) contracts for one reason or another.

Unfortunately, EAN is still questioned by many "old school" vets because of
their unfamiliarity with surgery and anesthesia on young kittens despite all
the benefits.

cite: http://www.fanciers.com/npa/sdanalysis.html

All the cat registry organizations combined don't register 3 mllion new
pedigrees a year so I don't know how many cats breeders actually

contribute
to the cat overpopulation but its clear that they do contribute to the
problem - hobby breeders less so than commercial and backyard breeders
because many hobby breeders only "breed to order" rather than churn out
litters one after the other.

Remember that indoor-only cats tend to live longer than
free-roaming cats. For purebreds to continue to make up 6% of the
owned population, breeders could not churn out 2.6 million cats per
year. I'd be extremely surprised if breeders registered half a
million cats per year -- I'll send some emails out to the registries
and see if I can get some information regarding total number of cats
registered last year in each of the major registries.

I have all kinds of conflicting data - but I'd still like to know. Perhaps
I wouldn't be so hard on them.

Phil

Old February 23rd 04, 03:14 PM
Fat Freddy

When my cats do that, I just blow at 'em. They turn right around. G

She might slash me if I do that!

Usually, she backs straight up at me, and then looks at me. I turn her
around, and deliberately sniff her nose. I can almost see her eyes
rolling. She can't believe I am so dumb as to not understand kitty
protocol.

When my cats stick their butts in my face for me to sniff, I touch
their rear lightly with my hand and make a sniffing sound. I don't know
if it fools them into thinking I took a sniff ot not, but it seems to
satisfy them.

Old February 23rd 04, 03:54 PM
Mary

"Meghan Noecker" wrote in message
On Sun, 22 Feb 2004 19:06:13 GMT, Laura R.
wrote:

When my cats do that, I just blow at 'em. They turn right around.

She might slash me if I do that!

Usually, she backs straight up at me, and then looks at me. I turn

her
around, and deliberately sniff her nose. I can almost see her eyes
rolling. She can't believe I am so dumb as to not understand kitty
protocol.

This is really funny.

Old February 23rd 04, 03:56 PM
Mary

"Fat Freddy" wrote in message
When my cats do that, I just blow at 'em. They turn right around.

She might slash me if I do that!

Usually, she backs straight up at me, and then looks at me. I turn

her
around, and deliberately sniff her nose. I can almost see her eyes
rolling. She can't believe I am so dumb as to not understand kitty
protocol.

When my cats stick their butts in my face for me to sniff, I touch
their rear lightly with my hand and make a sniffing sound. I don't

know
if it fools them into thinking I took a sniff ot not, but it seems

satisfy them.

What a good Papa! Bet you're a nice husband. "Ooo, honey, pretend like
you're sniffing my butt!"