kitty doing better

Old June 15th 04, 12:23 AM
MadHatter

Default kitty doing better

thanks everyone for your help with my Shaina!
she is doing much better now and is all lively and responsive. her
gums are still pale though. still, i wonder why she doesn't care for
play. she chases a string for a little while, or bats it around, but
then she looks up at the hand and loses interest. she is quite vocal
about getting fed and demands being walked to the kitchen to make sure
that food is there. it's so very practical on her part: why make two
trips in case there's no food, when she can always get a human to go
with her to make sure that food is there. her tummy is kinda big,
but she has regular bowl movement, so i hope it's normal for a kitten.
she grew in the 2 weeks i had her! is there a chance of her
developing feline infectious peritonitis and could the large tummy be
related to that?

Lena
Old June 15th 04, 12:49 AM
~*Connie*~

there is always a chance a kitten can develop FIP. However, if she did,
she'd have a fever, and would not be interested in eating. You said her
stomach is big, has she been dewormed. I tried to go through the back
posts, and didn't see anything to that effect. I would recommend getting a
stool sample into a vet to have it tested.

Old June 15th 04, 01:25 AM
MadHatter

On Mon, 14 Jun 2004 19:49:29 -0400, "~*Connie*~" wrote:

"MadHatter" wrote in message
.. .
[...]

yeh, she was dewormed and dewormed again on the 10th. they took a
stool sample and tested it for giardia, which came back negative. i
don't think they tested her for anything else, but said that she could
probably have coccidia and now she is taking medicine for that. i
will take her for deworming in 3 weeks as they recommended. her stool
looks normal now - it used to be soft and yellowish. she is very much
interested in eating - eveything - or at least checking if any food is
edible.

-L

Old June 15th 04, 02:40 AM
MadHatter

On Tue, 15 Jun 2004 00:37:08 GMT, Laura R.
wrote:

circa Mon, 14 Jun 2004 19:23:19 -0400, in rec.pets.cats.health+behav,
MadHatter ) said,
thanks everyone for your help with my Shaina!
she is doing much better now and is all lively and responsive. her
gums are still pale though. still, i wonder why she doesn't care for
play. she chases a string for a little while, or bats it around, but
then she looks up at the hand and loses interest. she is quite vocal
about getting fed and demands being walked to the kitchen to make sure
that food is there. it's so very practical on her part: why make two
trips in case there's no food, when she can always get a human to go
with her to make sure that food is there. her tummy is kinda big,
but she has regular bowl movement, so i hope it's normal for a kitten.
she grew in the 2 weeks i had her! is there a chance of her
developing feline infectious peritonitis and could the large tummy be
related to that?

It's normal (and healthy) for kittens to have those round tummies;
don't worry. As far as the pale gums and disinterest in long play,
she's still recovering blood cells from the anemia, so give her time.
I wouldn't worry about FIP at this point.

Laura

thanks so much! i was worried.

-L

My 24 hour kitty O J Cat anecdotes 39 August 20th 04 10:23 AM
A Gift from Mai Kitty David Cat anecdotes 20 May 2nd 04 09:50 PM
Yu noze, I furgotz tu tellz yurownselfz abowt da TROODUR KITTY... Amelia T Cat Cat community 6 February 28th 04 12:13 PM