Totally OT. China

Old January 1st 10, 02:42 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Christina Websell[_2_]

Default Totally OT. China

"Adrian" wrote in message
Christina Websell wrote:
"Adrian" wrote in message
You have some very strange ideas, Tweed. Personally I find capital
punishment barbaric but all countries have their own laws however unjust

It's not a strange idea to me that for a foreign country to execute a
Brit with obvious mental health problems is out of order. Your view may
differ.

Tweed

Your idea that it wouldn't be allowed is what's strange and saying my view
may differ is an insult as I've already stated I find the death penalty
barbaric, where a person lives makes no difference.

It wasn't meant to be an insult - I put it badly. I meant we may not agree
on this, as I still think it's not appropriate to execute a foreign citizen.
It would equally apply if the UK still had the death sentence and carried
out an execution on someone from say, Norway (random choice)
It is the law in most countries that people who have mental health problems
are exempt from the death penalty unless it can be proved that they knew
what they were doing.
In this case I do not think that criteria was fulfilled.
We need to agree to disagree. It's my social work background that gives me
these strange ideas.

Tweed

Old January 1st 10, 03:46 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Takayuki

"Christina Websell" wrote:
"Adrian" wrote in message
Your idea that it wouldn't be allowed is what's strange and saying my view
may differ is an insult as I've already stated I find the death penalty
barbaric, where a person lives makes no difference.

It wasn't meant to be an insult - I put it badly. I meant we may not agree
on this, as I still think it's not appropriate to execute a foreign citizen.
It would equally apply if the UK still had the death sentence and carried
out an execution on someone from say, Norway (random choice)
It is the law in most countries that people who have mental health problems
are exempt from the death penalty unless it can be proved that they knew
what they were doing.
In this case I do not think that criteria was fulfilled.
We need to agree to disagree. It's my social work background that gives me
these strange ideas.

In the above, Adrian has said that it's barbaric to execute anyone,
and you have said that it's inappropriate to execute the mentally ill
or foreign nationals. So your statements seem to me to be in
agreement.
Old January 1st 10, 03:53 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Takayuki

"Jofirey" wrote:
The coffee I can explain. Our friend AIM who used to visit here
works for Starbucks.

Our Aim? I wonder how she's doing nowadays. I emailed her a
couple of times years ago, but never heard from her.

I complained once that the coffee we we got
from a Starbucks in Atlanta Airport was major awful. She said that
the way the airport leases were set up, Starbucks had almost no
control over how those outlets were operated, much to their own
dismay. Any other franchise they could and would have shut down for
producing and selling such dreck.

When I get to any airport, one of the first places I head to is a
Starbucks. I don't know whether or not their coffee is good,
actually, as I always get a latte and put in too much sugar and
nutmeg. I personally make terrible coffee, despite getting good
equipment and buying fresh beans online or at reputable local coffee
shops, so most anything tastes good to me.
Old January 1st 10, 07:27 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
MLB[_2_]

Takayuki wrote:
"Jofirey" wrote:
[...]

Many years ago I read an article which said if one were to drink black
coffee for a full 21 days one would never want sugar or cream (etc) in
their coffee again. It stressed4d a full 21 days -- no shortcuts. It
worked for me. I also convinced my boss to try it that way and it
worked for him too.

When Starbucks opened a store close by, I tried it ONCE. Never again --
it smelled and tasted like burnt rubber. MLB
Old January 1st 10, 08:17 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Kyla `=^..^=`[_2_]

"MatSav"
"Adrian"
Kyla `=^..^=` wrote:

... now the USA is now on a 'high security alert' since some nutcase
from Africa, IIRC, tried to blow up a passenger plane in Michigan
which was on it's way to Seattle...that really creeped me out because I
was at that very same airport in Detroit way back in 1995. Geez.

Some coincidences are quite creepy, my sister was on Pan-Am flight 103 a
week before Lockabie.

/s "Lockerbie". I know that feeling. I'm scared of roller-coasters,
because when I was a child, I visited Battersea Fun Fair in London - at
the time, said fun-fair was a 21-year-old remnant of the 1951 Festival of
Britain. A week after I'd been there, there was a major fatal accident
when the carriage lift mechanism of The Big Dipper broke, and carriages
ran backwards before crashing into carriages behind them, de-railing and
plunging to the ground.

Similarly, like many other tourists, I'd visited the Twin Towers, just a
few months before 9/11.

--
MatSav

OMG, that is very freaky indeed...wow.
I've never been to NY and I have this fear of going there and of traveling
in particular.
9/11 really freaked me out because I watched the horror on abig screen/60
inch TV and I still can't lose those images. So sick and wrong.
My youngest daughter had gone to the top of the North Tower
with her friend a few months before the tragic incident too.
Kyla

Old January 1st 10, 08:39 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Kyla `=^..^=`[_2_]

Default Coffees Totally OT. China

"Takayuki"
"Jofirey"
The coffee I can explain. Our friend AIM who used to visit here
works for Starbucks.

Our Aim? I wonder how she's doing nowadays. I emailed her a
couple of times years ago, but never heard from her.

I have no clue who she is, only being here since Dec 2007.

I complained once that the coffee we we got
from a Starbucks in Atlanta Airport was major awful. She said that
the way the airport leases were set up, Starbucks had almost no
control over how those outlets were operated, much to their own
dismay. Any other franchise they could and would have shut down for
producing and selling such dreck.

When I get to any airport, one of the first places I head to is a
Starbucks. I don't know whether or not their coffee is good,
actually, as I always get a latte and put in too much sugar and
nutmeg. I personally make terrible coffee, despite getting good
equipment and buying fresh beans online or at reputable local coffee
shops, so most anything tastes good to me.

I hope you buy good French Roast or Italian dark roast beans
and keep them in the fridge after grinding.
Never freeze the beans because it will mess up the oil.
We buy our beans..KIVU brand, from the grocers at Fred Meyer aka Kroeger,
grind them in a Turkish grind, very fine, almost to a powder, at the store,
then refrigerate the grind till we use it.
We also use this grind for our regular coffee.
When I drink regular coffee, I just put non fat half and half in it
or use a powder creamer.& add no sugar.
I have dh make me a flavored latte or a cappuccino a few times a week.
FWIW, a latte is coffee with more milk, less foam..
a cappuccino is less milk, more foam. G
A Breve is made with the heavy half and half, and
a Cafe' Mocha is made with chocolate milk.
Eggnog lattes were very popular here around the holidays..
Yuck on that one.

Kyla

Old January 1st 10, 08:42 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Kyla `=^..^=`[_2_]

Default Coffee Totally OT. China

"MLB"
Takayuki wrote:
"Jofirey"
[...]

LOL, and you know what burnt rubber takes like...how?..
Just kidding, I hear you
Starbucks sucks big time.
Kyla

Old January 1st 10, 10:54 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Jofirey

Default Snack-Grabbing @ O'Hare IA OT

"hopitus" wrote in message
On Dec 31 2009, 8:04 pm, "Jofirey" wrote
The coffee I can explain. Our friend AIM who used to visit here
works for Starbucks. I complained once that the coffee we we got
from a Starbucks in Atlanta Airport was major awful. She said that
the way the airport leases were set up, Starbucks had almost no
control over how those outlets were operated, much to their own
dismay. Any other franchise they could and would have shut down for
producing and selling such dreck.
Jo

OT
There is usually no shortage of *coffee* on any length flight in the
first place.
Right up to when you exit stage left off the plane. So I fail to
grasp
the need
to rush for it in the terminal no matter what kind it is. ?????
The first thing I head for at O'Hare is a big Chi-style hot dog, with
all the local
trimmings on it. Chi-town is *famed* for its hot dogs and that
airport
is the
first place you can grab one for your very own. Coffee last thing on
my mind.
OTOH, this major USA city is not renowned for its *coffee*.

************

In this case it was a red-eye out of San Francisco with two small
kids. With a two hour layover in Atlanta at five AM we needed
something.

I hear you on the Chicago Dogs. I've never been anywhere in Chicago
except the airport, but the Chicago Dogs there are heaven. They just
don't come close anywhere else, even when they dye the relish bright
green and call them Chicago Dogs.

Jo

Old January 1st 10, 11:28 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Takayuki

hopitus wrote:
If you went
to Tokyo, would you be hot to order Italian food? If you were in
Berlin, would you want Chinese?

I visited Berlin once to see a professor there, and he promptly took
us out to a Japanese restaurant, where we dined on their specialty -
ostrich steak. I didn't know there were ostriches in Japan.
Berlin's a great place to get a glass of beer though.

And the worst Chinese food I ever had was in France. France has some
very good French food though.
Old January 1st 10, 11:53 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Takayuki

"Kyla `=^..^=`" wrote:
"Takayuki"
When I get to any airport, one of the first places I head to is a
Starbucks. I don't know whether or not their coffee is good,
actually, as I always get a latte and put in too much sugar and
nutmeg. I personally make terrible coffee, despite getting good
equipment and buying fresh beans online or at reputable local coffee
shops, so most anything tastes good to me.

I hope you buy good French Roast or Italian dark roast beans
and keep them in the fridge after grinding.
Never freeze the beans because it will mess up the oil.

I tend to pay more attention the varietal of the beans, and where they
were grown than how they were roasted. My favorite is Kenyan AA. I've
also found that the time that the beans are ground doesn't matter to
me, but what matters is when the beans were roasted. I prefer to
drink coffee within two weeks after the beans were roasted.

Lest I sound like an aficianado, it's rare that these circumstances
come together and I actually get to drink that delicious cup of Kenyan
AA within two weeks of roasting. Usually it's more like a store brand
that was roasted months ago, and that does ok as my daily wake-up
beverage.

China at the vet again BfloPolska Cat anecdotes 9 June 21st 09 07:21 PM
China purrs? BfloPolska Cat anecdotes 9 June 16th 09 04:56 AM
China at the vet BfloPolska Cat anecdotes 10 May 22nd 09 08:41 PM
China and Fluff ollie2 Cat anecdotes 9 September 1st 07 10:04 PM
China? Yowie Cat anecdotes 28 October 8th 04 02:14 AM