"Best by" dates

Old July 14th 04, 03:33 AM
jamie

Cat Protector wrote:
Yes there are hyped up feelings but they have gone into downright attacks on
people who don't follow some of the others who press for so-called "high
quality foods." My cats like Special Kitty and Friskies. They are quite
healthy and you are quite right, plenty of cats live into their teens and
even their 20's on normal store bought brands. I'd rather have my cats eat
than not eat.

Plenty may live to a ripe old age on store bought brands, but plenty
of storebought brands are better than Special Kitty. I question the
ability to live a long healthy life, raised on the ****tiest brand
of flavored corn meal on the market. Cats and people can live some
years on lousy nutrition before the problems of poor nutrition actually
show up.

Back in the 60s and 70s, I knew plenty of people who fed their
cats the flavored Play-dough sold as Tender Vittles, but the
cats didn't usually live past 12.

--
jamie )

"There's a seeker born every minute."

Old July 14th 04, 04:04 AM
Cat Protector

So do mine. My cats get dry food regularly and canned is fed only a couple
of times a day.

www.panthertekit.com

Cat Galaxy: All Cats, All The Time!
www.catgalaxymedia.com
"dgk" wrote in message
On Tue, 13 Jul 2004 10:56:53 -0700, "Cat Protector"
wrote:

Yes there are hyped up feelings but they have gone into downright attacks

on
people who don't follow some of the others who press for so-called "high
quality foods." My cats like Special Kitty and Friskies. They are quite
healthy and you are quite right, plenty of cats live into their teens and
even their 20's on normal store bought brands. I'd rather have my cats

eat
than not eat.

Well, truth to tell, neither of the boys are in imminent danger of
starving to death. One is 10 lbs and the other is 16. They do eat the
dry stuff.

Old July 14th 04, 04:17 AM
Cat Protector

I have not yet done that. Isis nor Jade have required it.

www.panthertekit.com

Cat Galaxy: All Cats, All The Time!
www.catgalaxymedia.com

"-L. :" wrote in message
om...
Yeah, well, there are those who think if you don't carry your kitty
around on a guilded pillow, that you are abusive...

-L.

Old July 15th 04, 09:42 AM
-L. :

dgk wrote in message . ..
That's an interesting point and I thank you. But I've read elsewhere
that it is a good idea to leave out dry food and let them snack since
many small meals is preferable to a few large ones. Every time I learn
something someone comes along and reverses it.

It isn't like they're eating crappy dry food. Ok, I'm open to
suggestions. Dry food as desired or make them eat the wet food 12
hours apart.

I do both. My cats free-feed chow and get canned AM and PM. We (our
family) have always fed that way, and will continue to always feed
that way. Have never had a diabetic cat, nor a cat with any chronic
health issues (not that doing so prevents such problems, just that so
far, haven't had any adverse problems). Have had prolly 10-12
permanent cats between us over the last 40 years.

-L.