Advice please?

Old August 2nd 03, 04:44 AM
Cheryl

Karen Chuplis wrote:

Yes, I was referring to subcutaneous. Some cats are drama queens
We had a cat that adored another cat of ours. He would follow her
around and gaze at her in rapture. She did not like him.

LOL I can picture this.

There were times I heard horrible shrieking. I mean like a REAL

fighting,
not just normal stuff. I would rush into the room only to find my

male 10
feet across the room from the female, but "he's LOOKING at me"

seemed
to be vocalized over dramatically. After my first three heart

attacks
over it, I found it amusing that she could carry on so. It just
confused him.

Karen

Awww.... I can hardly wait for new introductions here. Bonnie is
a spitfire so it's going to be interesting!

Old August 3rd 03, 06:24 PM
Bob Brenchley.

On Fri, 1 Aug 2003 20:20:17 +0100, "Dooies B.B"
wrote:

Sorry to cross post but I have a bit of a dilema.

My cat is now 15 and a half, and although she still eats, drinks, toilets,
and sleeps, she does little else. I know she has some discomfort from her
lower back, and probably kidney problems. Other than that and her increased
laziness she seems quite happy, purrs when I go to see her, still comes down
stairs when she wants more food (I have 3 cats, and they decided they wanted
to divide themselves so Katie got the upstairs, and Gizmo and betsy the
downstairs), she doesn't come and see me in bed any more and has no desire
to go outside (even though she used to go out days at a time).

I realise this is just old age and everyone slows down, but I'm wondering
whether I should consider taking her to be put down in a month or so rather
than forcing her to go on living when basically she doesn't live the most
active of lives, and its not that full of interest. I try and spend time
with her, but I just wonder if forcing her to live on to the bitter end is
the kindest thing to do.

Any thoughts would be gratefully recieved.

15 and a half is not really old for a cat these days and unless there
is some underlying problem then she should not have slowed down quite
as much as you indicate.

I think a trip to the vet is certainly in order and make sure the vet
checks her eyes. I had one cat down the road with this "withdrawn"
sort of problem ant it turned out to be vision related.

Good luck to her, hopefully there will be several more years ahead for
her.

--
Bob.

Cat's motto: No matter what you've done wrong, always try to make it
look like the dog did it.
Old August 3rd 03, 06:28 PM
Bob Brenchley.

On Fri, 1 Aug 2003 21:20:43 +0100, "Dooies B.B"
wrote:

I took her to the vets about 8 months ago and due to her drinking lots more
and stuff it was suggested that she did have mild kidney problems, but it
was also suggested that at her age perhaps it would be better not to treat
her.

VERY bad vet. Get a second opinion right away.

I just find it difficult to watch her slowly stop existing. I've had her
since I was 5, and I still remember her scaring me silly by playing in the
saucepans and stuff. And now she really rarely moves much.

The problem really for me is just not knowing how much she is suffering.

Cats do a very good job of hiding suffering, so your point is very
valid. However, a good vet should be able to get a proper diagnosis.

Shes never really complained, even when I knew she was suffering, and I
don't want to discover she is suffering terribly and only living because of
some basic need to stay alive, and not much else. I mean most people with
mild atheritis would probably not want to be put to sleep, but someone who
is suffering with really bad athertis, hurting everytime they move, might
sometimes wish they could die peacefully.

But thank you for your thoughts

Don't give up yet. Get that second opinion as soon as you can.

--
Bob.

Anything on the ground is a cat toy. Anything not there yet, will be.
Old August 3rd 03, 11:30 PM
Arjun Ray

In m,
(Mira) wrote:
| On 1 Aug 2003 16:29:04 -0500, "Karen Chuplis"
| wrote:

| From everything people have written here, their cats do not fine
| fluids traumatic.
|
| I imagine you are speaking of subcutaneous fluids as opposed to
| intravenous? In any case, this depends on the cat.

Yes, but in general cats can get accustomed to subQ fluids at home. The
basic idea is to desensitize them to the procedure, often by ritualizing
it, i.e. making it part of a larger procedure that the cat may find more
acceptable.

| My 18-year-old growled and shrieked when the vet put the IV in and when
| they took it out.

Not surprising. This was at the vet's, a stressful situation. And it
was IV, which is more painful than subQ.

That said, it took me well over a month to find a comfortable routine
with my cat. Being at home was inherently much less stressful for him,
but even so, he wasn't amenable to the procedure as long as he felt
uneasy. It was a combination of many little things.

Where? On the kitchen counter? In the bathroom sink? I even tried
putting him on a cafeteria tray place on a sink. Some people advise
blocking off avenues of escape such as making the cat face a corner, but
my fella wouldn't go for that.

Warming the fluids can help - it's a better sensation under the skin.

Then, I found out that the potassium chloride supplement that the vet
had pre-injected into the fluid bag actually stings under the skin. So
I insisted on switching to oral supplements.

It's also important to be calm about the whole thing - cats are very
good at picking up on our tension and unease. I've found that talking
gently to the cat helps - as if you're trying to convince him what a
good idea this is. It makes you focus on the purpose and the benefit.

The fluids are now part of a bonding session. Just him and me, in the
bathroom, with the door closed. I hug him in my lap and he hugs my arm
back as I stroke and pet him gently. When he's thoroughly relaxed, a
quick jab. I keep one hand on his head, my fingers lightly around his
neck. Lifting my hand is the signal that we're done: he waits patiently
for that. Immediately afterwards is meal time: he knows this, so he
doesn't struggle when I pick him to take him into the bathroom.

Keep it low-key, surround the momentary discomfort of the pricking with
all sorts of good sensations, ensure a reward like food or treats at the
end, and few cats will continuue to be disagreeable. They love ritual.

Old August 3rd 03, 11:42 PM
Cathy Friedmann

"Arjun Ray" wrote in message
In m,
(Mira) wrote:
| On 1 Aug 2003 16:29:04 -0500, "Karen Chuplis"
| wrote:

| From everything people have written here, their cats do not fine
| fluids traumatic.
|
| I imagine you are speaking of subcutaneous fluids as opposed to
| intravenous? In any case, this depends on the cat.

Yes, but in general cats can get accustomed to subQ fluids at home. The
basic idea is to desensitize them to the procedure, often by ritualizing
it, i.e. making it part of a larger procedure that the cat may find more
acceptable.

| My 18-year-old growled and shrieked when the vet put the IV in and when
| they took it out.

Not surprising. This was at the vet's, a stressful situation. And it
was IV, which is more painful than subQ.

That said, it took me well over a month to find a comfortable routine
with my cat. Being at home was inherently much less stressful for him,
but even so, he wasn't amenable to the procedure as long as he felt
uneasy. It was a combination of many little things.

Where? On the kitchen counter? In the bathroom sink? I even tried
putting him on a cafeteria tray place on a sink. Some people advise
blocking off avenues of escape such as making the cat face a corner, but
my fella wouldn't go for that.

I discovered that it was less stressful - basically completely
non-stressful - if I brought the fluids to my cat, Vs. bringing the cat to
the fluids (where I'd had worked out a good set-up). Didn't matter, as to
logistics - there was always a place higher than the cat from which to hang
the fluids, wherever she happened to be. For ex., if she was on the sofa or
out on the screened-porch napping, she barely paid any attention to the
fluids deal when I brought them to her for administration.

Cathy

("The Boy in the Bubble") Paul Simon

Old August 6th 03, 02:46 PM
Jaycee

If she "doesn't come to see you in bed anymore" perhaps you ought to bring
her to bed with you. My eighteen year-old got a little stiff for higher
jumps, but he sure continued to love those "under the cover cuddles" and
sleeping together we had shared since he was a kitten. The other advice
you've received regarding checking with another vet could be invaluable. No
one is attacking you - you did ask for "advice please". The best of luck to
you and your little ole lady. Jaycee

. ..