cyclops kitten

Old January 11th 06, 03:10 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes

Default cyclops kitten

wrote in message
oups.com...

CatNipped wrote:
I think there is a movement to try to get pediatricians to screen for
retinoblastoma. If I find a link, I will post it for you.

Oh God, I wish they would - my grandniece might have been able to keep
her
eye if they had found the cancer early enough.

I was wrong - it's actually a Bill in Florida that they were trying to
passs to make doctors dialate the eyes to screen for retinal problems
including retinoblastoma. here's the link: http://www.kidsplea.org/ I
don't know if the bill passed or not. What caught my attention about
this is retinoblastoma is more common in children conceived by IVF.
Well, that and I'm paranoid about this kind of thing with DS...

Her mother, my niece,
noticed "something funny" when she looked into the baby's eyes - they
reflected light oddly (almost like a cats' eyes). If her pediatrician
had
only done a simple eye check they might have found it *months* earlier.

They say that often a child with retinoblastoma will photograph with a
white dot in one eye instead of normal "refective" retinas. If you
follow the link to Joey's site, you will see photographs of what I am
talking about.

Here's some pictures of her after dozens of surgeries, but before they
removed her right eye:
http://www.possibleplaces.com/Lorishouse/malorie2.html.

She never could get used to a glass eye (she kept popping it out in
class -
LOL) so they used a Hollywood make-up artist to fashion an eye patch that
looks very life-like. She's very blase about the disease, but she if
very
sensitive to the teasing of her peers.

She looks so sweet. Poor little thing. As if dealing with the loss of
her eyesight isn't bad enough. How long ago did they remove her eye -
is time helping her cope any better?
-L.

It's been about 3 years ago now. She copes really well with the results of
the disease, but I think she would probably have social problems even if it
weren't for her eye. She has a genius-level IQ (186 on the Stanford-Binet
test)*. She has had an imaginary friend since she was 1, and they travel
all around the world and come back to describe places like Bali-Bali and
Katmandu to the rest of us plebes! ; She speaks 3 languages at
conversational levels and does college-level math. I don't agree with her
parents' decision to keep her in regular school - "socialization" just
doesn't work that way, it only emphasizes the ostracization more - but they
just won't listen to me on that score (they're listening to "experts" who
have nowhere near the child's smarts and haven't experienced the ridicule of
their peers).

*My brother, her grandfather, is also a genius. He served for 38 years on
the NOPD and is now retired, but while serving, he attended Loyola
University and earned his law degree, passed the bar, and also taught law
there before retirement. As a sideline during all this time (in his spare
time when he wasn't working extra police details to earn money for his
family) he also did photography and developing and won numerous awards for
his photographs. He is *also* a world renowned and accomplished artist, his
wood carvings are very much in demand (he is so detailed in his carvings
that the wood feels like real-life feathers to the touch). You can view some
of his works of art he
http://members.aol.com/rreeves333/carvingsbyric.htm.

Makes me positively feel like the black sheep of the family! ;

--

Hugs,

CatNipped

Old January 11th 06, 04:23 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes

Magic Mood Jeep© wrote:
badwilson wrote:
-L. wrote:
Photo - Not for the squeamish. Sorry for the long link:

http://news.yahoo.com/photos/ss/1778...VvBHNlYwNzc20-

Poor little thing.
-L.

Ugh, I shouldn't have clicked. I was warned and still clicked on it.
Things like this seriously disturb me :-(
--
Britta
"There is no snooze button on a cat who wants breakfast." -- Unknown

I wonder about the authenticity of this - a kitten born with it's eye *OPEN*
like that? Weird.

If it is a legit photo I am glad the kitten didn't live long I hope it
didn't suffer. But I personally think the photo is a fake. If the kitten
had a normal sized - or more normal sized eye - I would believe it more.
You'd be surprised what can be done with photo editing software now.
Old January 11th 06, 04:30 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes

"CatNipped" wrote in message

"-L." wrote in message
ups.com...

Oh God, I wish they would - my grandniece might have been able to keep her
eye if they had found the cancer early enough. Her mother, my niece,
noticed "something funny" when she looked into the baby's eyes - they
reflected light oddly (almost like a cats' eyes). If her pediatrician had
only done a simple eye check they might have found it *months* earlier.
Here's some pictures of her after dozens of surgeries, but before they
removed her right eye:
http://www.possibleplaces.com/Lorishouse/malorie2.html.

She never could get used to a glass eye (she kept popping it out in

class -
LOL) so they used a Hollywood make-up artist to fashion an eye patch that
looks very life-like. She's very blase about the disease, but she if very
sensitive to the teasing of her peers.

Wow, she's such a cutie, too. Glad she seems to have a personality to
counter her disability.

kili

Old January 11th 06, 06:03 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes

CatNipped wrote:
snip
He is *also* a world renowned and accomplished artist, his
wood carvings are very much in demand (he is so detailed in his carvings
that the wood feels like real-life feathers to the touch). You can view some
of his works of art he
http://members.aol.com/rreeves333/carvingsbyric.htm.

Makes me positively feel like the black sheep of the family! ;

I think I have seen his work before - I can't remember where but it
might have been on TV or one of my birding friends had one or
something. They really are beautiful.
-L.

Old January 11th 06, 01:29 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes

"rrb" wrote in message
If it is a legit photo I am glad the kitten didn't live long I hope it
didn't suffer. But I personally think the photo is a fake. If the kitten
had a normal sized - or more normal sized eye - I would believe it more.
You'd be surprised what can be done with photo editing software now.

According to Associated Press, it's definitely not a fake. They have been
examining the memory card from the camera, and found the pictures are real.

Read more about the pictures, and what this condition is called he
http://hosted.ap.org/dynamic/stories...LATE=DEFA ULT

or here (same link, shorter address):

http://tinyurl.com/b8xs4

Hans