how can you tell a cat has a fever?

Old November 4th 07, 01:21 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Tara Legale

Default how can you tell a cat has a fever?

And besides, I wrote Usenet at night when no vets would be open. And no.
Vets will not answer questions over the phone. I called my vet the next
morning and they said to keep an eye on her and if she gets worse bring her
in (an hour drive since I live in a rural area). She is better. Not
feeling warm, a little more "alert" looking. She is eating and drinking a
little less than normal, however when she was on antibiotics for two weeks
her hunger and thirst increased dramatically. Maybe this is just her new
"norm" since having her absessed tooth pulled. I will still monitor her and
go from there.

"Galloping Clippers" wrote in message
You're serious? It's easier to find a vet that will answer questions on
the phone (look them up in the yellow pages, dial, wait for an answer, go
down the list and repeat...) than hop onto Usenet and ask a cat newgroup
for advice? There is at least one vet who hangs out here and a lot of
knowledgeable people. And posts show up pretty quickly. I see nothing
wrong in going that route first.

Old November 4th 07, 08:00 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Meghan Noecker

On Sat, 03 Nov 2007 09:15:59 -0500, Galloping Clippers
wrote:

You're serious? It's easier to find a vet that will answer questions
on the phone (look them up in the yellow pages, dial, wait for an
answer, go down the list and repeat...) than hop onto Usenet and ask a
cat newgroup for advice? There is at least one vet who hangs out here
and a lot of knowledgeable people. And posts show up pretty quickly.
I see nothing wrong in going that route first.

Yes, I am serious. I have rarely gotten a response with an hour.

And last year when my cat was sick, I got very few responses at all.
Some posts go no responses at all. I was very disappointed by the lack
of response. I was hoping to get some advice in addition to my vet,
and later I wanted to understand better why my cat had died. But the
replies did not come.

I would never count on an online group for an immediate answer.

Why would I want to wait for an unknown number of hours for an answer,
when I can call the vet in less than 5 minutes.

Do you really find it that hard to look up a number? It is easy to
find a number in the phone book or online. It shouldn't take more than
a couple minutes. If you already have a vet, then you shoud have their
number on file anyway.

Old November 5th 07, 09:40 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Meghan Noecker

On Sun, 04 Nov 2007 09:00:00 -0600, Galloping Clippers
wrote:

Yes, I am serious. I have rarely gotten a response with an hour.

Maybe you need a faster connection.

And last year when my cat was sick, I got very few responses at all.

Ditto above. Your ISP may not be the best for usenet.

I have highspeed internet. Connection time is not a problem.

The problem is that somebody has to read the question and reply. You
might get lucky and get a reply right away, but there's no gurantee.

Some posts go no responses at all. I was very disappointed by the lack
of response.

Wow, I never found that at all.

You are very lucky.

I just did a look on yahoo for some of my older posts. See all the
posts with 1 message - 1 author? That means not a single person
replied. Never mind an hour or two. Not a single response ever.
Thankfully, I was just asking for advice and personal experience. I
had already been to the vet many times.

Jul 19 2006 by - 1 message - 1 author
Back to the vet with Kira

Jul 21 2006 by
- 1 message - 1 author
Update - Back to the vet with Kira

Jul 23 2006 by
- 1 message - 1 author
Anemia?

Aug 2 2006 by
- 1 message - 1 author
Treatment questions for anemia, herpes, and stress

On August 3rd, I asked again and mentioned that I hadn't gotten any
One person asked additional info, which I replied with, but I didn't
get any more responses.

Aug 5 2006 by
- 1 message - 1 author
Update on Kira, bloodwork is worse, barely eating, any suggestions

Those are ALL of my posts regarding Kira and her Anemia, from her
initial diagnosis until she died. It took me 2 weeks of asking 5 times
before I got my first response.

I don't think she needed immediate response; just faster than trying
to find a vet that will answer questions on the phone, which in my
experience, takes forever if at all.

My vet has always answered questions over the phone.

When Kira started pulling her stitches out after being spayed, I
called th evet number that was on my regular vet's answering machine.
They told me to put ben gay on it to keep her from licking it. The
next day, she had pulled it all out, only 2 days after the surgery. I
called my vet, and he had me look at it while he asked a few
questions. He determined that it was fine and just had me watch it for
redness and swelling. No need to come in.

When Kira was sick last year, he called several times between vet
visits to check on her.

I don't see why a vet would refuse to say what a cat's temperature
should be, which is the question that was asked when I suggested
calling the vet.

No, not *A* number. Trouble is, one would have to try many numbers to
find a vet who will answer questions over the phone. And then, yes,
it's really time consuming.

I have never been refused when I asked a vet a question on the phone.
And this has been with 3 different vets I have called. My regular vet
as well as 2 overnight vets.

Well, duh. The issue here is whether or not any vet will answer
questions over the phone. Again, the vast majority will not.

I find that hard to believe.

Old November 6th 07, 08:30 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Meghan Noecker

On Mon, 05 Nov 2007 08:49:11 -0600, Galloping Clippers
wrote:

Like I said and you snipped - YMMV (Your mileage may vary. In other
words, goody for you but not everyone is so lucky.)

Did you bother to read my post?

I was saying exactly the same thing, only the opposite venue.

Goody for you that you get a response in less than an hour from this
newsgroup. I had to wait 2 weeks.

Maybe next time you won't be so lucky. How long are you going to wait
before you start calling a vet? As it is, you only need to find the
right vet once, and then use the same phone number when something
comes up. You make it sound like such a huge chore.

I would never leave an important health issue to a newsgroup.

Old November 7th 07, 02:02 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Meghan Noecker

On Tue, 06 Nov 2007 11:48:48 -0600, Galloping Clippers
wrote:

Let me guess - reading comprehension was never a stregth of yours.

No worse than yours.

Do you still believe I got such a slow response due to a slow internet
connection? Do you really believe that most people get immediate