Calling the Vet first thing tomorrow.

Old November 24th 07, 06:29 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Psipsini

Default Calling the Vet first thing tomorrow.

I'm calling the vet as soon as it opens tomorrow morning, but in the
mean time while I'm worried I'd love to hear your thoughts.

My 2 year old indoor female cat as a lump under her chin.

I noticed it late wednesday night, it was about the size of a pea but
not very hard and I felt a kind of a scab/crusty bit in one place.

Tonight (friday) it has grown to about the size of a small lima bean
and is kind of squishy, moveable and seems to be superficial (not
attached to muscle in the chin or mouth).
It is still a bit crusty, and when I try to peer between the fur it
appears to be redish.

Our kitty has not lost her appetite and she is playing and chasing her
sister right now.

I believe that cancer can only be confirmed by a biopsy...but while
I'm waiting...has anyone seen this before? What might this be? My
hope is that someone will say "oh yeah, those are the exact symptoms
of ......" : ) I can dream...

Thank you so much
Concerned cat mother
aka
Eleni
Old November 24th 07, 08:36 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Meghan Noecker

On Fri, 23 Nov 2007 22:29:34 -0800 (PST), Psipsini
wrote:

I believe that cancer can only be confirmed by a biopsy...but while
I'm waiting...has anyone seen this before? What might this be? My
hope is that someone will say "oh yeah, those are the exact symptoms
of ......" : ) I can dream...

It may be an abcess. If so, they will clean it out and give
antibiotics. Maynard had one once. He had no appetite problems. I just
knew something was wrong because he wouldn't jump up on the counter
(it was near his tail, so it hurt to jump).

If it is not an abcess, they will do a biopsy. Some things can be
determined right away. For example, my cat had a bubble behind his
shoulder that turned out to be an odd fat deposit (especially odd
since he was a very lean cat). They could tell by looking under a
microscope that it was just fat, so I didn't have to wait for special
labwork.

Those would be my guesses of what they will look for. Hopefully, it
will just be an abcess, and you won't have to wait for test results.

Old November 24th 07, 12:50 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Psipsini

Thank you!
It's so nice to hear a reassuring voice!!
Old November 24th 07, 01:09 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
---MIKE---

It could also be a cyst which is easily removed.

---MIKE---
In the White Mountains of New Hampshire
(44° 15' N - Elevation 1580')

Old November 24th 07, 05:44 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Rene S.

It could also be a pustule from bad bout of kitty acne. Also easily
treatable, but keep an eye on her, because she could be an infection
from it. If she becomes lethargic and loses her appetite, see the vet
right away! (I went through this with one of mine.)
Old November 25th 07, 05:02 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Psipsini

Update fromt the vet:

RED has been prescribed a weeks worth of amoxicillin.
He said it looks like a cyst or acne or maybe an abscess, but that it
is too small to do a needle biopsy. While I thought it had grown he
offered that perhaps it had ruptured under the skin.
The inside of RED's mouth seems fine, but her teeth aparently have a
lot of tartar, so if the amoxicillin doesn't work I'm to bring her
back in a week for dental visit where he will also see if it is an
abscess from a tooth and have a chance to biopsy the lump if needed.

RED and I thank you so much for your help and kind thoughts.
I'll keep you updated.

Old November 25th 07, 05:33 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
IBen Getiner

On Nov 24, 1:29�am, Psipsini wrote:
[...]

Typical reactionary female..... Why don't you just not worry about it
until the vet tells you it's something to worry about? Worry is the
interest you pay on borrowed trouble. Try to remember that. Otherwise,
you're liable to ruffle the feathers of the other hens around here. In
a week's time, they'll all be ovulating around you, the alpha female.

IBene Getiner

Old November 26th 07, 11:52 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
IBen Getiner

On Nov 25, 7:15�am, "cindys" wrote:
I hope everyone is smart enought to ignore this troll.
Best regards,
---Cindy S.

"IBen Getiner" wrote in message

snip

Typical reactionary female..... Why don't you just not worry about it
until the vet tells you it's something to worry about? Worry is the
interest you pay on borrowed trouble. Try to remember that. Otherwise,
you're liable to ruffle the feathers of the other hens around here. In
a week's time, they'll all be ovulating around you, the alpha female.

IBene Getiner

Yeah... ANYONE who kicks your ass in an argument ANYWHERE on usenet is
a 'troll'. We know, cindyz. We know.

IBen Getiner
Old November 26th 07, 02:19 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Rene S.

On Nov 24, 11:02 pm, Psipsini wrote:
Update fromt the vet:

RED has been prescribed a weeks worth of amoxicillin.
He said it looks like a cyst or acne or maybe an abscess, but that it
is too small to do a needle biopsy. While I thought it had grown he
offered that perhaps it had ruptured under the skin.
The inside of RED's mouth seems fine, but her teeth aparently have a
lot of tartar, so if the amoxicillin doesn't work I'm to bring her
back in a week for dental visit where he will also see if it is an
abscess from a tooth and have a chance to biopsy the lump if needed.

RED and I thank you so much for your help and kind thoughts.
I'll keep you updated.

Best of luck to RED as he recovers! Hope he's feeling better soon.

RIP to the d-thing Jane Cat anecdotes 14 October 9th 07 09:50 PM
Thing in a bag Margaret Fine Cat anecdotes 5 March 29th 05 04:13 PM
TED thing done All is well Jo Firey Cat anecdotes 5 January 29th 05 06:12 AM
if it's not one thing, it's another J1Boss Cat health & behaviour 14 June 4th 04 08:08 PM