Science Diet question...

Old December 7th 03, 09:48 PM
afr

I never thought about the moist vs. dry food issue til my cat got blocked
month ago. As I think about it, the cats who I know who live long, healthy
lives are in semi-rural areas where neighbors are accustomed to cats
roaming in their yards...people aren't put off by it. I think being in a
safe, outdoor environment, free to exercise may be the critical variable.
I know cats who live long lives on a combination moist/dry diet...but
they get lots of fresh air and exercise. My sister's cat lived to be
18...he was an outdoor cat, and I think he ate dry his whole life. My cat
now is on a ph neutral food, but he has the runs. He is an apartment cat
who used to be an outdoor cat.

ava

From: olitter (PawsForThought)

Checkmate! You've lost the argument.

I've lost nothing and you know it.

Then answer the question. Why do you think millions of cats thrive on dry
foods? Your theory doesn't hold any water and you know it.

So now what do you have to
say, asshole?

You're a jerk and this should be a lesson for yngver to take note of.

Old December 8th 03, 03:17 PM
Steve Crane

olitter (PawsForThought) wrote in message ...
From:
(Steve Crane)

(Liz) wrote in message
.com...
(GAUBSTER2) wrote in message
Why do millions of cats thrive on dry commercial diets?

They thrive until they get sick... Let´s see... FLUTD, diabetes, IBD..

Which affects what - maybe 5% of cats at some point in thier
lifetimes? So what everyone should do is abandon what works quite well
for 95% of cats and jump on the totally unproven BARFers bandwagon.
Something the vast majority of veterinarians and all Board Certified
Veterinary Nutritionists do not agree with. Heck yeh, that makes
perfect sense, sign me up.

Interesting, I didn't see anything in Liz's post about a raw diet. In fact,
she was simply commenting on "dry" commercial diets. But of course, being a
sales rep for Hill's Science Diet, I think you just see red if anyone doesn't
agree with you. As to the 5% you quoted, do you have anything to back that up?

Of course,
See below for hard data publisheed in a peer reviewed journal. I was
in error, it is LESS than 5% of cats. It only amounts to 4.62% of
cats. As to your comments about raw diets - only a moron would assume
the negative remarks about commercial diets weren't directive in
nature.

Source:
Health status and population characteristics of dogs and cats examined
at private veterinary practices in the United States
Elizabeth M. Lund, DVM, MPH, PhD; P. Jane Armstrong, DVM, MS; Claudia
A. Kirk, DVM, PhD; Linda M. Kolar, DVM, MPH; Jeffrey S. Klausner, DVM,
MS
JOURNAL OF THE AMERICAN VETERINARY MEDICAL ASSOCIATION, Vol. 214, No.
9 Pages 1336.1341 1999

IBD affects 0.01% of cats.
FLUTD affects 4.6% of cats.
Diabetes affects 0.01% of cats.
Old December 8th 03, 03:17 PM
Steve Crane

olitter (PawsForThought) wrote in message ...
From:
(Steve Crane)

(Liz) wrote in message
.com...