Run little mink, run!!!!

Old September 3rd 03, 03:15 PM
Victor M. Martinez

"Marina" wrote in message
http://www.kirjasto.sci.fi/bkurten.htm

Ok, now I'm definitely going to order those sci-fi books, they look very
interesting. Tom will really enjoy them, he's a history buff and loves all
things prehistoric too!

--
Victor M. Martinez

http://www.che.utexas.edu/~martiv

Old September 3rd 03, 03:48 PM
Marina

"Victor M. Martinez" wrote

Ok, now I'm definitely going to order those sci-fi books, they look very
interesting. Tom will really enjoy them, he's a history buff and loves all
things prehistoric too!

If you ever have the time, I would love you to read the translation into
Spanish of The Dance of the Tiger. In fact, I think my Mum has several free
copies of that left, so I could send you one. I'd be interested to hear what
you think of the translation La Danza del Tigre.

--
Marina

Old September 3rd 03, 04:24 PM
lewe

"Marina" wrote in message
He usually wrote in Swedish and English at the same time. OK, not *at the
same time* as in writing one language with one hand and the other with the
other. ;o) But something like a chapter in one language, then the same
chapter in the other language, and so on. Some of the stuff he only wrote

in
either language, but if it exists in both languages, they are both his

work.
Except for his last book of essays, The Innocent Assasins, which he hadn't
written completely in English by the time he passed away, so that's partly
translated by another person.

ah, good - thanks! that's great.
I have on occasion started to read a Swedish translation and put the book
away in frustration and then really liked the English original
I just wish I could read more languages ... but I normally go for an English
translation since I suppose more effort is put in to that and the author
might have some control at least. Swedish is such a tiny language after all

:: lewe
lewemi at yahoo dot se || cat pics: photos.yahoo.com/lewemi

Old September 3rd 03, 05:47 PM
Hopitus2

Mouton - "mutton"! ROFL!

"Helen Wheels" wrote in message
: Sherry wrote:
:
:
: Heh. You reminded me of my grandmother and her "mooton" (I have no idea
how to
: spell that) coat. What the heck *was* mooton, anyway? Fake something or
other?
:
: Sherry
:
: I believe mouton=sheep in French
: Helen Wheels
:

Old September 3rd 03, 07:18 PM
Tanada

"Victor M. Martinez" wrote:

"Marina" wrote in message
http://www.kirjasto.sci.fi/bkurten.htm

Ok, now I'm definitely going to order those sci-fi books, they look very
interesting. Tom will really enjoy them, he's a history buff and loves all
things prehistoric too!

Me too. I bet Jean Auel has every one of his books in her research
library.

Pam S. who loves pre-history, as well as history.
Old September 3rd 03, 07:36 PM
Tanada

Marina wrote:

"Diane" wrote

The lynxes show remarkable similarity of appearance compared to other
related groups of cats, and the Canada lynx is often treated as

conspecific
with the Eurasian lynx (Kurtén and Rausch 1959,

LOL! Why am I not surprised that my Dad's name appears in this context?
There is even a prehistoric lynx named after him - Lynx Kurtén.

I don't know why, but I'd assumed that your father had been a diplomat.
I would explain the many countries and all the different languages you
speak fluently. (I'm still working out Yehudah's fluency in languages,
parentage, probably) I never knew he was an Paleontologist. Sigh, I
bet conversations around you dinner table must have been interesting to
say the least. "Dear, pass me a slice of that roast turkey, please.
Did I tell you that we identified that leg bone today? It's from an
"insert scientific name here". It looks like it had been gnawed by a
rat, but I can't be certain until we measure the chaw marks."

Pam S. who would have loved to be there for the conversation, but
probably said something stupid and stopped all talk.

PS. I'm a mutt (many different ancestries, though the only one we can
currently trace runs through Poznan Poland), and can't speak any
language worth a d*mn. Including my own.
Old September 3rd 03, 07:52 PM
CK

Tanada wrote:

PS. I'm a mutt (many different ancestries, though the only one we can
currently trace runs through Poznan Poland), and can't speak any
language worth a d*mn. Including my own.

I'm a mutt too, mum's a bilingual Finn (Swedish-Finnish). Dad's
German-Russian, born in Finland, lived his youth in what now is Poland
(not far from Poznan actually, about 100km to the south, in a little
town called Rawicz), but back then was Germany, came back to Finland
away from the war and became a Finnish citizen at age 14, and he still
speaks Finnish like a foreigner... Me OTOH am a language nut, which I
probably have from my granddad. He was fluent in 7 languages - me only
in 4, but there's still time...

Christine in Vantaa, Finland (Europe)
Email: christal63(at)yahoo(dot)com
Photos: http://photos.yahoo.com/christal63

Old September 3rd 03, 09:02 PM
Tanada

CK wrote:

I'm a mutt too, mum's a bilingual Finn (Swedish-Finnish). Dad's
German-Russian, born in Finland, lived his youth in what now is Poland
(not far from Poznan actually, about 100km to the south, in a little
town called Rawicz), but back then was Germany, came back to Finland
away from the war and became a Finnish citizen at age 14, and he still
speaks Finnish like a foreigner... Me OTOH am a language nut, which I
probably have from my granddad. He was fluent in 7 languages - me only
in 4, but there's still time...

OK, that is just WRONG. I grew up hearing both English and German
(mostly curse words, but German), and can usually get the gist of a lot
of different languages when I read/hear them being spoken slowly. But I
can't speak any of them. Rob is the opposite, he lived in Germany from
18 mos to 5 years old and spoke German fluently, having been in a
Kindergarten. He can't remember any of it, but he can make himself
understood and interpret Hungul (Korean), German, Spanish (Honduras),
Arabic, and whatever else. He's just good at it. It makes me so
frustrated.

Pam S.
Old September 4th 03, 01:46 AM
William Hamblen

In article , Jette Goldie wrote:

"Sherry " wrote
Heh. You reminded me of my grandmother and her "mooton" (I have no idea

how to
spell that) coat. What the heck *was* mooton, anyway? Fake something or

other?

Sort of tightly kinked curls of fur?

I think it might be what is also called "persian lamb".

Mouton is a French sheep for what it's worth. Mouton coats are
sheepskin.

Old September 4th 03, 07:20 AM
Jean H

I think the tiger is one of if not the most beautiful on earth, I'm
I'm simply blown away by their beauty jp
"Steve Touchstone" wrote in message
On Mon, 1 Sep 2003 17:40:28 +0100, "Adrian" wrote:

Adrian
Fur is worn by beautiful animals and ugly people.

Love that sig - and how true