Digital bath scale for people as well as cats?

Old October 19th 07, 06:55 AM posted to alt.cats,alt.pets.cats,rec.pets.cats.health+behav,alt.health,misc.health.diabetes
RPSinha

Default Digital bath scale for people as well as cats?

Both I and my cat need a weighing scale and I was wondering if we could
get by with one.

For myself, I don't require analysis of water, fat, bone, etc.;
accurate and consistent weight readings would do. Good readable display
etc.

For the kitty, I was thinking it should be accurate to 0.1 lbs. That
should be ok to get by at home. For greater accuracy there's always
Vet's office.

Some sort of memory function, so I can go back and check what her
weight was in case she is covering up the display.

Does any model come to the mind? Thanks.
Old October 19th 07, 07:33 AM posted to alt.cats,alt.pets.cats,rec.pets.cats.health+behav,alt.health,misc.health.diabetes
Ozgirl

Stand on any scale and weigh yourself. Get off and pick up your cat and step
on the scales again. Take first reading away from second reading and
surprise, surprise! you have the cat's weight!

Old October 19th 07, 08:16 AM posted to alt.cats,alt.pets.cats,rec.pets.cats.health+behav,alt.health,misc.health.diabetes
RPSinha

Ozgirl wrote:

: Stand on any scale and weigh yourself. Get off and pick up your cat and step
: on the scales again. Take first reading away from second reading and
: surprise, surprise! you have the cat's weight!

Or I could put a few treats on the scale and she would climb up.

My main concern is accuracy of the reading. For a 170LB person, an
error or 0.5 LB is insignificant. However, for a 5 LB cat it would be
meaningful. That's why I want the scale to be accurate to 0.1 LB.

The method you suggest would require two readings, which would
effectively double the uncertainty.

For example if the reading is 5LB and scale uncertainty is 0.1 LB, then
she weighs between 4.9 and 5.1 LB. However, two readings of 175 and 170
LB really mean 174.9-175.1 LB and 169.9-170.1 LB, so her weight is in
range 4.8-5.2 LB.

Not the biggest deal in the world, but a direct reading is better.
Old October 19th 07, 08:39 AM posted to alt.cats,alt.pets.cats,rec.pets.cats.health+behav,alt.health,misc.health.diabetes
Ozgirl

"RPSinha" wrote in message
Ozgirl wrote:

[...]

Put a cat basket on the scales and turn the dial back to zero. Then place
the cat in the basket. Use digital for more accuracy. Weight the cat first
thing in the morning before first meal. Preferably after it has peed...
Presumably it is a diabetic cat and you want accuracy for medication
purposes?

Old October 19th 07, 09:19 AM posted to alt.cats,alt.pets.cats,rec.pets.cats.health+behav,alt.health,misc.health.diabetes
RPSinha

Ozgirl wrote:

: Presumably it is a diabetic cat and you want accuracy for medication
: purposes?

Oh no, she is only 1 year old and just fine. I however do have
beginning of that disease---hence my guess that members of that forum
might know about weighing scales.

The reason for wanting an accurate scale has nothing to do with that.
Since I have to buy a scale anyway, might as well get a reasonably
accurate one.
Old October 19th 07, 12:08 PM posted to alt.cats,alt.pets.cats,rec.pets.cats.health+behav,alt.health,misc.health.diabetes
MaryL

"RPSinha" wrote in message
Both I and my cat need a weighing scale and I was wondering if we could
get by with one.

For myself, I don't require analysis of water, fat, bone, etc.;
accurate and consistent weight readings would do. Good readable display
etc.

For the kitty, I was thinking it should be accurate to 0.1 lbs. That
should be ok to get by at home. For greater accuracy there's always
Vet's office.

Some sort of memory function, so I can go back and check what her
weight was in case she is covering up the display.

Does any model come to the mind? Thanks.

Tanita makes a very good line of scales, and I have two (one for myself and
a pediatric one for my cats). I use model #351 for myself. It has 5 memory
buttons, so it could be used for 5 people - or you could use reserve one for
yourself and separate buttons for up to four cats. It is a digital model and
has been very accurate. If I get on and off to recheck, I always get an
identical weight, even if I do not stand on exactly the same position on the
scale. It weighs in increments of 0.2 lb. I use a Tanita model #1583 baby
scale for my cats. It has a tare function to eliminate the weight of a towel
or carrier before weighing the cat. It weighs in 0.5 lb. increments. I
prefer to use the baby scales for my cats, but I have achieved nearly
identical weights on the #351 model by using the method described by Ozgirl.

Tanita scales are expensive, but they have been *very* accurate, in my
experience. I have had each of these models for several years, so they have
had a great deal of use. I have also compared weight taken at home with
weight taken in the vet's office, and I obtain almost the same results.

Here is a link to model #351: http://www.tanita.com/DigitalScales.shtml

And here is a link to model #1583:
http://www.tanita.com/PediatricScales.shtml

(You may need to scroll down the page to the correct model.)

MaryL

Old October 19th 07, 04:07 PM posted to alt.cats,alt.pets.cats,rec.pets.cats.health+behav,alt.health,misc.health.diabetes
William Graham

"RPSinha" wrote in message
Both I and my cat need a weighing scale and I was wondering if we could
get by with one.

For myself, I don't require analysis of water, fat, bone, etc.;
accurate and consistent weight readings would do. Good readable display
etc.

For the kitty, I was thinking it should be accurate to 0.1 lbs. That
should be ok to get by at home. For greater accuracy there's always
Vet's office.

Some sort of memory function, so I can go back and check what her
weight was in case she is covering up the display.

Does any model come to the mind? Thanks.

Google, "Baby scales".....

Old October 19th 07, 06:27 PM posted to alt.cats,alt.pets.cats,rec.pets.cats.health+behav,alt.health,misc.health.diabetes
Rene S.

My main concern is accuracy of the reading. For a 170LB person, an
error or 0.5 LB is insignificant. However, for a 5 LB cat it would be
meaningful. That's why I want the scale to be accurate to 0.1 LB.

IMHO, for people, I've stuck with a plain ol' analog scale. I bought a
$30 digital scale at Target and it only lasted a year. I went back to
the old-fashioned kind for me and am happier. I don't need extreme
accuracy for myself anyway.

How about buying a digital postal scale for the cats? I have used one
for nearly four years and have found it to be quite accurate (it has
to be, for mailing packages). I ordered mine he
http://www.toplinedigitalscales.com/...24&item_id=166

To weigh a cat, place a small box on the scale and tare out the
weight. Then put the cat in the box and record the weight. This scale
does not have a memory function. I keep records of my cats' weight on
an Excell file, so I can add comments as needed.

You also have the benefit of a scale in case you do need to weigh a
parcel. . .

Old October 19th 07, 09:26 PM posted to alt.cats,alt.pets.cats,rec.pets.cats.health+behav,alt.health,misc.health.diabetes
Manfred Mann

On Fri, 19 Oct 2007 16:33:58 +1000, "Ozgirl"
wrote:

Stand on any scale and weigh yourself. Get off and pick up your cat and step
on the scales again. Take first reading away from second reading and
surprise, surprise! you have the cat's weight!

You forgot a few steps. Like pick up the cat again whe it gets
away, wiegh yourself again after the cat gets away before the scale
finishes.
Old October 19th 07, 09:28 PM posted to alt.cats,alt.pets.cats,rec.pets.cats.health+behav,alt.health,misc.health.diabetes
Manfred Mann

On Fri, 19 Oct 2007 07:16:39 GMT, RPSinha wrote:
Or I could put a few treats on the scale and she would climb up.

Nice try. Won't work. My cats take the treat, run off before the
scale can do it's thing.

My main concern is accuracy of the reading. For a 170LB person, an
error or 0.5 LB is insignificant. However, for a 5 LB cat it would be
meaningful. That's why I want the scale to be accurate to 0.1 LB.

Have the vet do it when you bring the cat in for a check up.