Peaches the lovebird is a great pet!

Old November 22nd 04, 05:11 PM
jmcquown

Default Peaches the lovebird is a great pet!

Persia pays little or no attention to my lovebird, Peaches, unless she deems
I'm paying more attention to Peaches than is required for her majesty

Peaches doesn't let me 'handle her'; she was hand fed but then pretty much
left on her own. I tried to acclaimate her to perching on my shoulder, etc.
(all when Persia was napping and shut away) but this bird will have none of
it. She had her wings clipped (badly) and couldn't even flutter, but she
managed to get behind furniture and generally waddle to difficult spots.
Just as well she doesn't want out, I suppose.

She's now simply a small parrot in a good sized cage who has tons of
jingling toys and wood to chew on and she gets treats. She's runs around
ringing the bells, funny as hell.

I bought a bunch of kale for 89 cents. Washed it well with water and left
water dripping from the leaves. Peaches was down there ripping the leaves
apart and apparently bathing with the wet leaves. She calls out something
which sounds like "Peaches!" Lovebirds are not known to be talkers but I
think she's trying. She's about a year old now.

She dunks herself in her water dish, which is an oversized dish, and comes
up with her head and breast feathers soaked. I have to change the water
twice a day. I never know when she's going to dunk herself; seems to happen
every three or four days. Then she preens her lovely green, yellow, orange
and red feathers and fluffs all up looking proud of herself. They she calls
out what sounds like "Peaches!" also something that sounds like "trick or
treat!" (smile)

I've been around birds all my life; primarily parakeets. This girl is
showing off She doesn't like me to handle her, though. Okay, I won't.

Of course I don't really *know* she's a girl; she just acts like one. Not
gonna pay for a test to find out because she's not here for breeding. It's
just an instinct thing that I think she's a female.

She's happy, Persia was raised with parakeets so she doesn't want to kill
her; I'm happy. Sweet small bright lovebird who likes to rub her face in
wet kale and chirp at Mommy

Jill

Old November 22nd 04, 08:30 PM
Kreisleriana

On Mon, 22 Nov 2004 11:11:28 -0600, "jmcquown"
yodeled:

[...]

She sounds delicious.
Love,
Stinky

Whoa! Who let you use the computer! Go back to shedding on the
furniture!

I apologize, Jill. She sounds really adorable.
Theresa

Theresa

Old November 23rd 04, 05:54 AM
Yowie

"jmcquown" wrote in message
. ..

cuddled gently for space

She's happy, Persia was raised with parakeets so she doesn't want to kill
her; I'm happy. Sweet small bright lovebird who likes to rub her face in
wet kale and chirp at Mommy

I can just imagine! I don't know about lovebirds, but I've had two parakeets
(but I call them budgerigahs) who had plenty of personality in those little
bodies. I still miss them - and they lived quite happily with Shmogg when
they were still here.

Hope you are enjoying Rainbow Bridge, Brainy & Vomit, I miss you guys!

Yowie

Old November 23rd 04, 05:54 AM
Yowie

"jmcquown" wrote in message
. ..

cuddled gently for space

Old November 23rd 04, 02:30 PM
Kreisleriana

On Tue, 23 Nov 2004 16:54:02 +1100, "Yowie"
yodeled:

"jmcquown" wrote in message

cuddled gently for space

She's happy, Persia was raised with parakeets so she doesn't want to kill
her; I'm happy. Sweet small bright lovebird who likes to rub her face in
wet kale and chirp at Mommy

I can just imagine! I don't know about lovebirds, but I've had two parakeets
(but I call them budgerigahs)

You mean buggery guards.

It's OK, you're allowed to call them budgerigars. It was amazing for
me to go to Australia, and see every pet bird my family ever had,
sitting outside on trees, screaming their heads off.

My favorites are galahs, though. The biggest pests.

Theresa
Old November 23rd 04, 02:30 PM
Kreisleriana

On Tue, 23 Nov 2004 16:54:02 +1100, "Yowie"
yodeled:

cuddled gently for space

Old November 23rd 04, 03:58 PM
jmcquown

Kreisleriana wrote:
On Tue, 23 Nov 2004 16:54:02 +1100, "Yowie"
yodeled:

"jmcquown" wrote in message
. ..

cuddled gently for space

She's happy, Persia was raised with parakeets so she doesn't want
to kill her; I'm happy. Sweet small bright lovebird who likes to
rub her face in wet kale and chirp at Mommy

I can just imagine! I don't know about lovebirds, but I've had two
parakeets (but I call them budgerigahs)

You mean buggery guards.

It's OK, you're allowed to call them budgerigars. It was amazing for
me to go to Australia, and see every pet bird my family ever had,
sitting outside on trees, screaming their heads off.

Theresa

Actually, outside of Australia where they live in the wild (amazing sight
I'm sure!) budgerigars are different than parakeets. They are slightly
larger, with more pronounced 'foreheads'. These birds are generally bred
genetically for show. How they perch (stance), straightness of the tail,
height of the forehead and large evenly spaced facial spots are among some
of the more favourable characteristics.

Me, I just loved the little (parakeet) devils for their sweet antics. I had
one named Buddy who was a foundling like my Persia-cat is. I don't know how
old Buddy was when my brother brought him, shivering, into the house. An
escapee. I was 14 when Buddy was found and 28 when he died. Paul handed
Buddy to me and I cradled him to my chest to warm him and he was mine from
that moment on. Buddy would ride around on my shoulder or my head, peck at
my glasses, fiddle with the chain around my neck or play with my earrings.

He was also a notorious tail-puller. He'd sit, looking all innocent, then
suddenly reach up and yank the tails of our other parakeets. Talk about a
stinker! G

Jill

Old November 23rd 04, 03:58 PM
jmcquown

Kreisleriana wrote:
On Tue, 23 Nov 2004 16:54:02 +1100, "Yowie"
yodeled:

"jmcquown" wrote in message
. ..

cuddled gently for space

Old November 23rd 04, 04:09 PM
Kreisleriana

On Tue, 23 Nov 2004 09:58:22 -0600, "jmcquown"
yodeled:

Kreisleriana wrote:
On Tue, 23 Nov 2004 16:54:02 +1100, "Yowie"
yodeled:

"jmcquown" wrote in message
. ..

cuddled gently for space

[...]

Well, they were close enough for me to recognize. I always thought
they were the same species, just known incorrectly here as parakeets.
A real parakeet, for example, is the extremely inappropriately named
Monk or Quaker, who are not chaste or quiet.

We have a huge colony of Quakers living wild here in Brooklyn. They
build huge nests on the electric generators. The electric co. tried
to dismantle them, but the neighborhood was up in arms. They loved
having these bright green birds divebombing around and screeching at
each other. The electric co. had to put up these alternate structures
for the birds to nest on.

My dad has a house in Florida with a Quaker colony nearby. He feels
right at home.

Me, I just loved the little (parakeet) devils for their sweet antics. I had
one named Buddy who was a foundling like my Persia-cat is. I don't know how
old Buddy was when my brother brought him, shivering, into the house. An
escapee. I was 14 when Buddy was found and 28 when he died. Paul handed
Buddy to me and I cradled him to my chest to warm him and he was mine from
that moment on. Buddy would ride around on my shoulder or my head, peck at
my glasses, fiddle with the chain around my neck or play with my earrings.

He was also a notorious tail-puller. He'd sit, looking all innocent, then
suddenly reach up and yank the tails of our other parakeets. Talk about a
stinker! G

Aww. I had one named Pretty Boy when I was really little. He used to
sit on my head. None of the other birds were as nice as he was, but
we were probably really clueless about what they really needed to be
happy.

There's a parrot park near my dad, with a walk-through aviary
featuring rainbow lorikeets. These land all over you and check you
out. There's a sign that tell you to cover up any moles you might
have-- the parrots try to pry them off you.

Theresa