Substitute for Cat Litter

Old March 22nd 05, 06:33 PM
BarB

Default Substitute for Cat Litter

I am passing on some info from several rescue groups that might be
of interest. I have not tried it yet. If you try it, please report
back your experiences.
..
I am trying something new here that you might be
interested in trying. A cat foster mom told me that
she uses ground corn chicken feed purchased at her
local farm supply & feed store for cat litter....
about $6- $7 for a FIFTY pound bag. I got some
yesterday and so far, it is working great! It is
basically just The World's Best Cat Litter brand at
only 10% of the cost.

The cat pro that told me about using this says that she uses
something by Purina called Layena:

http://showchow.purinamills.com/flock/layena.asp

I couldn't find it, but "Pilgrim's Poultry Scratch" works great.
I'll admit that my cats seem to prefer scoop clay litter, but
they will use the scratch. I have 3 very large boxes in my "cat
room". Two have scoop clay and one has the corn scratch. The clay
gets used more often than the one with corn, but not exclusively.

This should be as flushable as World's Best and as safe for kittens.
Of course it's not going to clump.

BarB
Old April 25th 05, 11:34 PM
cat rancher

"BarB" wrote in message
. earthlink.net...
: I am passing on some info from several rescue groups that might be
: of interest. I have not tried it yet. If you try it, please report
: back your experiences.
: .
:
: The cat pro that told me about using this says that she uses
: something by Purina called Layena:
: http://showchow.purinamills.com/flock/layena.asp
:
: I couldn't find it, but "Pilgrim's Poultry Scratch" works great.
: I'll admit that my cats seem to prefer scoop clay litter, but
: they will use the scratch. I have 3 very large boxes in my "cat
: room". Two have scoop clay and one has the corn scratch. The clay
: gets used more often than the one with corn, but not exclusively.
:
: This should be as flushable as World's Best and as safe for kittens.
: Of course it's not going to clump.
:
: BarB

What is the big advantage of clumping litter? I've used it for
so long that I can't remember anything else, honest... Is it
possible to mix the corn chicken feeder and clumping litter
to get a good but cheaper mixture?

40 lbs. of clump cost about 9$, doesn't it? Is the chicken
litter than much cheaper because it is not as dense?

Old April 30th 05, 02:47 AM
BarB

On Mon, 25 Apr 2005 15:34:16 -0700, "cat rancher"
wrote:

"BarB" wrote in message
.earthlink.net...
[...]

That's what I'm trying now. Clumping keeps down odor and the spread
of disease.

40 lbs. of clump cost about 9$, doesn't it? Is the chicken
litter than much cheaper because it is not as dense?

World's Best corn clumping litter costs about $1/lb. I just bought a
chicken feed that a feed store sells in bulk called "lay crumbles"
that is about the same particle size and density as the WB for less
than $.20/lb. I'm mixing about a quarter by volume with the WB and
iy's still clumping.

BarB