[OT] Age Appropriate Dress?

Old February 5th 06, 12:54 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes

Default [OT] Age Appropriate Dress?

"Adrian" wrote in message
Jo Firey wrote:
"Yoj" wrote in message
. com...
"Wayne Mitchell" wrote in message
news "Yoj" wrote:

I can assure you that you aren't. I had to wear one of those as
matron of honor at my sister's wedding, and I hated it.

Well, didn't it make you look "matronly"? ducking and running

--

Wayne M.

LOL! Actually, I wasn't worrying about how it looked that day,
because I was too busy struggling to breathe. Although I hadn't yet
been diagnosed, I
was having an asthma attack. I didn't want to spoil my sister's
wedding or
reception, so I didn't say anything until we were ready to leave.
Then my husband took me to Emergency.

Joy

A cup of strong black coffee can be a real help in a situation like
that. It contains drugs that are similar to theophylin that help open
up the lungs. Proper treatment is better of course, but coffee can
be a real help in the mean time.

Jo

Also good chocolate, it contains theobromine which is part of the same
family.
--
Adrian (Owned by Snoopy and Bagheera)
A House is not a home, without a cat.

I like the sound of that better than the coffee. ;-) Of course, with
coffee, I'd have trouble drinking it. With chocolate, the problem would be
actually having some around that I hadn't already eaten. Of course, if I
just eat a lot of chocolate every day, then I probably won't have any asthma
attacks, right?

Joy (rushing out to stock up on chocolate)

Old February 5th 06, 02:38 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes

Default SF Bay Area local stuff (probably boring to anyone else :))

dnr wrote:

Mills (now Mills/Peninsula) hospital.

Ah, OK. I don't think I've heard of that hospital. I used to live in
Sunnyvale (shiral lives there now), so if I needed hospital care, I
went to El Camino in Mountain View.

The only times I went to Oakland
was on BART which let you out right in the bargain basement of some
big store (I think called Emporium-Capwell)

Yeah, the Emporium went out of business some years ago. I didn't live
around here when the BART station went to that store.

I bought a lot of funky 80's clothes/shoes there
(remember Flashdance raggedy knitwear? LOL).

LOL is right. I used to wear that stuff! (blush )

I did go to Jack London Square once

You should see it now - it's all yuppified now, a big tourist
attraction.

Joyce
Old February 5th 06, 02:45 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes

Default Age Appropriate Dress?

John F. Eldredge wrote:

Well, for that matter, I have 20 years experience as a programmer (and
college degrees in both electronics and programming, as well as a
Bachelor's degree in History), and class myself as a "skilled worker".

That makes sense. Other than the fact that programmers are extremely
well-paid, which makes them middle-class, the work itself is certainly
of the skilled-worker variety.

I lack the desire to manage others, and my social skills (I fit the
near-Asberger's nerd stereotype fairly well) are such that I probably
wouldn't be all that successful as a manager.

Wow, you don't come across that way at all online! I've worked in the
Silicon Valley for years and the place is filled with such people, so
I'm quite familiar with it. But you don't have that extremely annoying
habit of correcting people all the time when they get some trivial
factoid wrong.

I never wanted to be a manager, either, and probably wouldn't have
succeeded at it. It's good to know one's limitations. Luckily, the high
tech field offers lots of opportunities for professional growth as an
individual contributor.

Joyce
Old February 5th 06, 05:05 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes

In article , Adrian
wrote:

news "Yoj" wrote:

A cup of strong black coffee can be a real help in a situation like
that. It contains drugs that are similar to theophylin that help open
up the lungs. Proper treatment is better of course, but coffee can
be a real help in the mean time.

Jo

Also good chocolate, it contains theobromine which is part of the same
family.

The family is the methylxanthines, of which the major members are
caffeine, theophylline, and theobromine. Aminophylline is a modified
form of theophylline that is injectable, but really has no current
place in the treatment of asthma.

Of the three main alkaloids, theophylline, as has been suggested, is
the strongest bronchodilator, which helps in an acute asthma attack.
Of common beverages, strong tea has the greatest amount of actual
theophylline. Coffee has the most caffeine.
Old February 5th 06, 05:32 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes

John F. Eldredge wrote:

Well, I have mostly trained myself out of the arguing-over-minutia
bit. I had more tendency towards that in my younger years, as my
sister could probably tell you.

That makes sense. It does seem like something that a child, especially
one who can't figure out the social world, might fasten on as a way to
relate to people. And most nerdy kids are treated horribly. Their smarts
are often the only way they can level the field.

I also don't fit the neat-freak
stereotype, tending to be a messy housekeeper.

Hmm... I know a number of computer geeks who have the same type of
personality you're talking about, and they're total slobs. I think it
has to do with being oriented toward the cerebral, and not paying
that much attention to the physical environment. Two people I'm thinking
of in particular, a couple, have an expensive house on which they have
never spent any time or money in decorating. However, they've filled it
with all sorts of electronic stuff and cool gadgets and toys.

Joyce
Old February 5th 06, 06:44 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes

In article , Yoj
wrote:

"Adrian" wrote in message
news "Yoj" wrote:

[...]

While it's not a methylxanthine, chocolate is also rich in
phenylalanine. That appears to be a euphoriant and possibly sexual
stimulant, with studies indicating a higher response in women.

[OT] Most bizzarre thing you've seen Yowie Cat anecdotes 10 December 22nd 05 07:24 PM
[OT] A Generic Greeting [email protected] Cat anecdotes 0 December 21st 05 09:27 AM
[OT] Why we love children - humor CatNipped Cat anecdotes 9 November 28th 05 03:27 AM
the dress Miss Violette Cat community 29 October 3rd 04 08:29 AM
[OT] Yowlet Update 4/4/4 20:30 Yowie Cat anecdotes 16 April 5th 04 11:49 PM