Update on the "Purrs for my mom"

Old September 17th 06, 10:38 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Cheryl

Default Update on the "Purrs for my mom"

She still has no answers. She scares me, seriously. Last week she
came with me to my eye appt (my opthamologist is interested in the
genetics of glaucoma, so was interested in taking with her if she
could come) and just walking on a straight path from the parking lot
to the dr's office door, I could see how hard it is for her to keep
her balance.

--
Cheryl

Old September 17th 06, 11:59 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
bobblespin

Cheryl wrote in
:

She still has no answers. She scares me, seriously. Last week she
came with me to my eye appt (my opthamologist is interested in the
genetics of glaucoma, so was interested in taking with her if she
could come) and just walking on a straight path from the parking lot
to the dr's office door, I could see how hard it is for her to keep
her balance.

Oh, how I feel for you. Last week my 86 yr old mom lost her balance at
home, fell and broke her hip. Turns out she's almost fallen a few times
(which I didn't know about), and now she's in bad shape. Had I known, I
would have recommended she a) talk to her doctor and b) use a cane at
all times to catch herself when she loses her balance.

Maybe she should use a cane or two to help her balance. Older people
often won't use a cane thinking it makes them look old, but ending up
with a walker because of a broken hip is worse.

Best of luck Cheryl,
Bobble

--
Save the earth... it's the only planet with chocolate.

Sonny's web page -- http://web.ncf.ca/ai151/index2.html
Old September 18th 06, 12:16 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Cheryl

On Sun 17 Sep 2006 06:59:39p, bobblespin wrote in
rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
):

Oh, how I feel for you. Last week my 86 yr old mom lost her
balance at home, fell and broke her hip. Turns out she's almost
fallen a few times (which I didn't know about), and now she's in
bad shape. Had I known, I would have recommended she a) talk to
her doctor and b) use a cane at all times to catch herself when
she loses her balance.

Maybe she should use a cane or two to help her balance. Older
people often won't use a cane thinking it makes them look old,
but ending up with a walker because of a broken hip is worse.

Best of luck Cheryl,
Bobble

Thank you! Funny you mention a cane. I said the same thing to her
when she said she just needs something to hold on to. Her birthday
(70th) is in a few weeks, and I've been trying to figure out what
to get her. At first I thought a cane for a b-day present was
really mean, sort of reminding her of her age, but given her
condition, I don't think it's mean at all. I think I'm going to try
to find one that's nice to look at, easy to fold up for packing,
and something funtional.

Thanks for the idea.

--
Cheryl

Old September 18th 06, 12:55 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Cheryl

On Sun 17 Sep 2006 06:59:39p, bobblespin wrote in
rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
):

Oh, how I feel for you. Last week my 86 yr old mom lost her
balance at home, fell and broke her hip. Turns out she's almost
fallen a few times (which I didn't know about), and now she's in
bad shape. Had I known, I would have recommended she a) talk to
her doctor and b) use a cane at all times to catch herself when
she loses her balance.

Maybe she should use a cane or two to help her balance. Older
people often won't use a cane thinking it makes them look old,
but ending up with a walker because of a broken hip is worse.

Best of luck Cheryl,
Bobble

Looking at all there is to offer in canes, I think one of those
with a seat would be good for her, but they seem heavy. She's a
walker. She walks every day at dawn, and she told me that one day
last week she had to call my dad to come get her because she was
too dizzy. She carries her cell phone everywhere. Most days her
walks don't end like that.

Purrs for your mom. I hope she's doing better now.

--
Cheryl

Old September 18th 06, 03:06 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Karen

On 2006-09-17 18:16:39 -0500, Cheryl said:

[...]

I always admire those beautiful carved canes or the canes from Ireland.
I figure, if you need something like that, make it an accessory!

Old September 18th 06, 04:54 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Marina

Cheryl wrote:
She still has no answers. She scares me, seriously. Last week she
came with me to my eye appt (my opthamologist is interested in the
genetics of glaucoma, so was interested in taking with her if she
could come) and just walking on a straight path from the parking lot
to the dr's office door, I could see how hard it is for her to keep
her balance.

Many purrs that they find something to fix soon. It's so hard to just
wait for answers. My mum hasn't had any answers yet, either. Her back is
better, but it seems to have migrated to a gastric disorder.

Old September 18th 06, 06:06 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
tension_on_the_wire

Cheryl wrote:
[...]

A word about canes. Most people breathe a sigh of relief when their
loved one gets a cane or walker, thinking that it can only help. In
most cases that is true, but there is a small incidence of folks who
have that dreaded accident within the first month of getting a cane, on
account of the fact that, in addition to dizziness, or whatever the
cause, they now have another object to contend with which can be so
distracting that it prevents them from being able to save themselves
when they fall, or even clumsiness with the cane itself causes the
fall. Or heaviness, in the case of the walker. Also, coping with wet
floors becomes a particularly new hazard.

The remedy is simple, but time-consuming for someone in the family.
The first month or two, someone needs to be close-by and handy to help
their loved one slowly adjust to the new reflexes of walking with a
cane. It involves three limbs, rather than the previous two. Since
walking is like riding a bicycle, it can be a great challenge to try to
unlearn it, and relearn it with a cane.

Hoping that forewarned is forearmed, not trying to be a doomsayer.

--tension

Old September 18th 06, 11:46 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Adrian A

Cheryl wrote:
She still has no answers. She scares me, seriously. Last week she
came with me to my eye appt (my opthamologist is interested in the
genetics of glaucoma, so was interested in taking with her if she
could come) and just walking on a straight path from the parking lot
to the dr's office door, I could see how hard it is for her to keep
her balance.

Continuing purrs.
--
Adrian (Owned by Snoopy and Bagheera)
Cats leave pawprints on your heart.

Old September 19th 06, 08:18 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
polonca12000

Cheryl wrote:

She still has no answers. She scares me, seriously. Last week she
came with me to my eye appt (my opthamologist is interested in the
genetics of glaucoma, so was interested in taking with her if she
could come) and just walking on a straight path from the parking lot
to the dr's office door, I could see how hard it is for her to keep
her balance.

We continue to purr and send best wishes for your mom,
Polonca and Soncek

Old September 19th 06, 08:19 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
polonca12000

Marina wrote:

Cheryl wrote:

She still has no answers. She scares me, seriously. Last week she came
with me to my eye appt (my opthamologist is interested in the genetics
of glaucoma, so was interested in taking with her if she could come)
and just walking on a straight path from the parking lot to the dr's
office door, I could see how hard it is for her to keep her balance.

Many purrs that they find something to fix soon. It's so hard to just
wait for answers. My mum hasn't had any answers yet, either. Her back is
better, but it seems to have migrated to a gastric disorder.

Lots of purrs and best wishes for your mum, Marina,
Polonca and Soncek