Cat suddenly throwing up after environment change

Old March 3rd 09, 11:08 PM posted to alt.med.veterinary,alt.pets.cats,rec.pets.cats.health+behav
jamina1

Default Cat suddenly throwing up after environment change

On Mar 3, 11:18*am, "cybercat" wrote:
"Spider" wrote in message

Really. This cat should have been to the vet weeks ago.

Well I would've taken her weeks ago, if she hadn't only been
exhibiting symptoms for a few days.
Old March 5th 09, 01:54 PM posted to alt.med.veterinary,alt.pets.cats,rec.pets.cats.health+behav
jamina1

Well, I managed to give her some water in a syringe night before last
and after that she actually went to the water bowl to start drinking.
Also, she was readily eating up kitty treats - so her appetite was
there, just not enough that she would eat the kibble. But I did take
her to the vet ASAP. Ended up having to go to a different vet because
her normal vet was full up until April!

She's experiencing liver failure... and I'm kicking myself I didn't
take her earlier.. but at least she's in good hands now. So hopefully,
and without too much more expense we can figure out what is wrong and
go from there.

It is sad possibly having to choose between saving the cat and being
able to afford saving the cat -_-
Old March 5th 09, 05:58 PM posted to alt.med.veterinary,alt.pets.cats,rec.pets.cats.health+behav
cybercat

"jamina1" wrote in message
Well, I managed to give her some water in a syringe night before last
and after that she actually went to the water bowl to start drinking.
Also, she was readily eating up kitty treats - so her appetite was
there, just not enough that she would eat the kibble. But I did take
her to the vet ASAP. Ended up having to go to a different vet because
her normal vet was full up until April!

She's experiencing liver failure... and I'm kicking myself I didn't
take her earlier.. but at least she's in good hands now. So hopefully,
and without too much more expense we can figure out what is wrong and
go from there.

It is sad possibly having to choose between saving the cat and being
able to afford saving the cat -_-

Money is the reason you did not take her sooner. Ugh.

Old March 5th 09, 08:00 PM posted to alt.med.veterinary,alt.pets.cats,rec.pets.cats.health+behav
MaryL

"jamina1" wrote in message
Well, I managed to give her some water in a syringe night before last
and after that she actually went to the water bowl to start drinking.
Also, she was readily eating up kitty treats - so her appetite was
there, just not enough that she would eat the kibble. But I did take
her to the vet ASAP. Ended up having to go to a different vet because
her normal vet was full up until April!

She's experiencing liver failure... and I'm kicking myself I didn't
take her earlier.. but at least she's in good hands now. So hopefully,
and without too much more expense we can figure out what is wrong and
go from there.

It is sad possibly having to choose between saving the cat and being
able to afford saving the cat -_-

I had a cat that had both liver failure and CRF a number of years ago. The
prognosis was very bad. She was not expected to live more than three months
*at most* following one panel of blood tests. Instead, she lived three
*years,* and they were good years for most of that time. My vet said that
was because I was aggressive in giving her every possible chance. I had
lenghty telephone conversations with vets at Texas A&M College of Veterinary
Medicine and The Ohio State College of Veterinary Medicine. I watched for
even the slightest change in her attitude or eating/drinking patterns, and
we continually adjusted her diet and medications.

The point is: You can probably do a lot for your kitty, even though a
diagnosis of liver failure is frightening, but you must take the
responsibility of being very pro-active. Do not put off seeing a vet if you
see any changes in the future because "a few days" can mean the difference
between giving your kitty a good quality life and removing all hope for her.

MaryL

Old March 5th 09, 08:09 PM posted to alt.med.veterinary,alt.pets.cats,rec.pets.cats.health+behav
MaryL

. ..

"jamina1" wrote in message
[...]

Here is a picture of Amber. She was going through advanced liver failure,
and I had been told two years earlier that she probably could not live more
than three months "at most." She lived another year after this picture was
taken (three years following that prognosis)--and you may be able to see
from the picture that she was doing a lot more than "surviving"; she still
had a good life. She was my little angel, and it was well worth everything
we did for her.
http://www.picturetrail.com/sfx/album/view/7915214

Again: Please take immediate action and do not just assume that nothing can
be done as a result of your cat's diagnosis.

MaryL

Old March 5th 09, 09:01 PM posted to alt.med.veterinary,alt.pets.cats,rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Poe

MaryL wrote:

. ..

"jamina1" wrote in message
[...]

What a gorgeous cat!
Old March 5th 09, 09:29 PM posted to alt.med.veterinary,alt.pets.cats,rec.pets.cats.health+behav
MaryL

"Poe" wrote in message
MaryL wrote:

. ..

"jamina1" wrote in message
[...]

Yes, she really was gorgeous. My previous cat had died, and I had just
reached the point when I knew it was "time" to adopt again. As luck would
have it (serendipity, I guess), a friend called and asked if I would
consider adopting Amber. She was two years old at that time, had been
declawed on *all four paws,* and the people who had her were going to put
her outside if they could not find someone to adopt. They said they loved
her but did not have room in their small home because they had a toddler and
were expecting another child. I went over to look at her, and they warned
me that it would probably take quite awhile for her to come out because "she
hid from everyone." Well, I sat down on the sofa, and she jumped right up
onto my lap! I really thought they were trying to con me, but I found out
later that it was really true. For some reason, she knew to come to me.
These people could not understand why she was always hiding, but it was
obvious to me. They led the toddler drag her around by the tail, so she was
really trying to get away from that abuse. She was incredibly thin at that
time. Well, I drove away with her in the car without even going home to
"think" about it, and she truly was an angel. She calmed down, began eating,
and turned out to be that glorious, gorgeous cat you see in the picture.
She even used a scratching post, although she had no claws. It still hurts
me to think that they would do that to such a wonderful little girl.

MaryL

Old March 5th 09, 10:12 PM posted to alt.med.veterinary,alt.pets.cats,rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Poe

MaryL wrote:

"Poe" wrote in message
MaryL wrote:

. ..

"jamina1" wrote in message

[...]

The house was too small for a creature approximately the size of a small
pillow? Right. So they'd put it outside :-(

I hate stories like that (up until the point where you came into the
picture). Unfortunately I see it over and over, especially the pattern
where a pet falls out of favor when kids come along. Even in my own
family, my sister had her cat put down because it hissed at her kids who
came along later (they terrorized it!!). But then, she's the one who
kept her dogs out in a barn, never in the house.

Digress... I can't believe she came from the same family as I did (if
the dog was crabby, we were told to leave it alone so wouldn't nip. If
the cat was scared, we were told to leave it alone so it wouldn't hiss).
Back in MY day it was considered normal to learn via a nip that a dog
wants you to stop pulling on it - and I wasn't from an abusive or
neglectful clan. I'm not advocating letting dogs attack kids - just that
I prefer a balanced approach where the kids are taught to respect the
animals, including their boundaries and limitation. End of digression.

I'll never get where some people are coming from. If you don't *really*
want a pet, please don't get one. Sheesh!

Anyway, very gorgeous girl you had there, cool how she immediately took
to you :-)
Old March 6th 09, 02:09 AM posted to alt.med.veterinary,alt.pets.cats,rec.pets.cats.health+behav
MaryL

"Poe" wrote in message
[...]

Yes! It's hard to understand why so many people get "pets" when they
clearly don't intend to take care of them. I'm not talking about people who
find themselves over their heads financially or suddenly face overwhelming
medical issues. I'm talking about people who won't even do routine,
ordinary things like pay attention their pets, love them, give them good
food and basic veterinary care.

One last item: I mentioned that I had long telephone conferences with a vet
at Texas A&M University and one from The Ohio State University. My own vet
had given me their names as possible resources. On this newsgroup, we often
read about vets who seem to overcharge and fail to have a caring attitude.
Those two vets were exactly the opposite! Each one gave me a considerable
amount of time and helped me reach important decisions for Amber's care. I
fully expected to pay for their time--but both of them refused to accept any
payment. That was really special.

MaryL

Old March 6th 09, 02:25 PM posted to alt.med.veterinary,alt.pets.cats,rec.pets.cats.health+behav
jamina1

I had to let her go. The costs were quickly approaching the point at
which I could no longer afford to pay it - $800 for one night in the
vets office and $1200 more expected before we even knew what was
really going on. And more once the actual treatment began. And I work
all day and have no one else who could've kept an eye on her. I would
not have been able to provide the quality of care she required to be
in the best hands possible unless I left her with the vets and what
sort of mom does that make me?

Plus, the vet said she'd have to have a feeding tube in for 4-6 WEEKS,
which would've made her very unhappy and uncomfy. I didn't want her to
live the next few months constantly in and out of the vets office, for
it to even possibly not cure her. I didn't want to see her cut up and
unhappy. So I let her go...

Thank you for the advice and the encouragement, anyway.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/cheezyo...tags/sylvanas/

The most recent of these pictures was only taken a few weeks ago.
Compared to how she looked yesterday.. she had lost quite a bit of
weight very fast. I'm just sorry I couldn't do more for her -_-