My rationale for adopting and not breeding cats

Old November 17th 04, 02:11 AM
Sherry

So is it okay to breed turkeys so top-heavy they can't ever stand up, because
that benefits "society" in terms of lots more white meat on the plate?

Of course not. It's just as wrong as breeding poor little runny-eyed Persians.
It's screwing the poor animals up, in both cases.

Sherry
Old November 17th 04, 03:26 AM
Phil P.

"Yngver" wrote in message

So your thinking is that there are good reasons for selective breeding and

bad
ones.

A good reason for selective breeding would be to breed *out* the genetic
defects and deformities the breeders bred in! However, in the process
they'll probably replace one defect with another.

"Fixing a trait". What a wonderful concept; cats that all look very
similar... To my mind, it robs a cat of some of her uniqueness and
individuality.

Old November 17th 04, 04:01 AM
Phil P.

"Yngver" wrote in message

Human nature. From the earliest times in which animals were domesticated,

don't
you imagine people favored not only the best producers but the best

looking
ones as well?

No. The ancestor of the domestic cat was selected first for rodent control.
Second, from that population, the capacity to tolerate the close proximity
of other cats - highly territorial cats could not have controlled the rodent
population if they continuously fought with each other and chased other cats
away. And third, from that population, cats that displayed affiliative
behavior towards people.

I don't think looks played any roll in the early domestication of the cat.

Old November 17th 04, 04:19 AM
Phil P.

"Sherry " wrote in message

Oh my. What a beauty.

Do you remember little Jade 'o mine from 5 years ago?

http://www.maxshouse.com/Main_Photos.../JADE-Main.jpg

You should see her now!

http://www.maxshouse.com/Ours/Jade-1...-4-ed-511k.jpg

I have pretty good taste in women, don't I? ;-

Phil

Old November 17th 04, 06:20 PM
Phil P.

"Yngver" wrote in message
"Phil P." wrote:

"Yngver" wrote in message

[...]

Well, that's a matter of opinion but I find it difficult to believe.

Okey dokey, Shallow Hal. LOL!

Human
beings naturally respond more favorably to a creature that is attractive

than
to one that is ugly.

You mean there are ugly cats??? I've never seen an ugly cat in my life.
Where can see one of these "ugly" cats?

Whether consciously or not, early people would have been
more likely to encourage the attractive cat to become friendlier than they
would the unattractive one.

I don't know about you, but I think most people would choose friendliness
before looks! I sure as hell would! I don't think the looks of the
individual cats played a significant, if *any* roll in domestication.

Depictions of cats in ancient Egypt show them at work as well as sleeping

under
an owner's chair, but they are depicted as handsome animals.

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder. The artist probably saw cats
beautiful as a species.... as I do. Remember, the early Egyptians revered
the cat.