Two paws down on raw food

Old June 4th 05, 11:16 PM
Victor Martinez

Default Two paws down on raw food

Well, I made my first batch of raw food today. I ground up a whole
chicken (sans most of the muscle meat) and added all the other nice
supplements. I divided it in 7 portions and froze 6 of them. The other
portion was served as dinner a little while ago. Fez licked some of the
ground up slurry, but left the meat cubes intact. The other cats will
have nothing to do with it.
It seems it's going to be a battle of wills, a battle I have a very good
chance of losing. I think I'll start by mixing a little bit of the raw
stuff with their usual food.
In the mean time, I have 6 very hungry cats and a whole lot of raw food
waiting to be eaten.

--
Victor M. Martinez
Send your spam he

Old June 4th 05, 11:52 PM
Hopitus

Suggestion: to the frying pan (not the cats, the raw meat).
You got nothing to lose here.

Old June 4th 05, 11:59 PM
Yoj

"Victor Martinez" wrote in message
Well, I made my first batch of raw food today. I ground up a whole
chicken (sans most of the muscle meat) and added all the other nice
supplements. I divided it in 7 portions and froze 6 of them. The other
portion was served as dinner a little while ago. Fez licked some of the
ground up slurry, but left the meat cubes intact. The other cats will
have nothing to do with it.
It seems it's going to be a battle of wills, a battle I have a very good
chance of losing. I think I'll start by mixing a little bit of the raw
stuff with their usual food.
In the mean time, I have 6 very hungry cats and a whole lot of raw food
waiting to be eaten.

--
Victor M. Martinez

Why insist they eat it raw? I'd want my chicken fully cooked, to avoid the
possibility of salmonella. Maybe they feel the same way. ;-)

Joy

Old June 5th 05, 12:46 AM
Bill Stock

[...]

Smokey loves her food rare, Chicken, Hamburger, Steak. Cali will only eat
raw Steak. I'm not too sure if the raw food presents any hazards, so they
don't get it too often.

Old June 5th 05, 12:57 AM
mlbriggs

On Sat, 04 Jun 2005 22:16:04 +0000, Victor Martinez wrote:

Well, I made my first batch of raw food today. I ground up a whole chicken
(sans most of the muscle meat) and added all the other nice supplements. I
divided it in 7 portions and froze 6 of them. The other portion was served
as dinner a little while ago. Fez licked some of the ground up slurry, but
left the meat cubes intact. The other cats will have nothing to do with
it.
It seems it's going to be a battle of wills, a battle I have a very good
chance of losing. I think I'll start by mixing a little bit of the raw
stuff with their usual food.
In the mean time, I have 6 very hungry cats and a whole lot of raw food
waiting to be eaten.

How about cooking it just "rare"? I fed Princess (RB) raw liver, kidney
and heart meat, which she liked. Other raw meat was not appealing to her.
I never fed raw chicken. Then the Vet advised me never feed raw because
of the pathogens in the meat supply. Then I switched to Science Diet
which she loved. I continued to give her a little "rare. MLB

Old June 5th 05, 01:32 AM
Irulan

Victor, how safe is raw chicken? I mean is the salmonella dangerous only for
humans or also cats?
Jazz's worried mama

--

Irulan
from the stars we come

Old June 5th 05, 02:07 AM
Jo Firey

"Bill Stock" wrote in message

[...]

Cats have stronger acid in their stomachs. Have you seen what they eat in
the wild?

And many cats, especially rare breeds that aren't all that far from the
wild, have a problem with cooked food.

Jo

Old June 5th 05, 02:13 AM
Jo Firey

Information on feeding a raw diet. It is from a commercial source so
remember they do have something to sell. Still it explains the theory.

http://tinyurl.com/dvjeb

Jo

Old June 5th 05, 02:29 AM
Victor Martinez

Yoj wrote:
Why insist they eat it raw? I'd want my chicken fully cooked, to avoid the
possibility of salmonella. Maybe they feel the same way. ;-)

Because they have evolved to eat raw food. Cats are not as
susceptible to salmonella as are humans, since they have a short
digestive tract.
What I'm trying to accomplish here is a diet as natural as possible. To
match their physiology as closely as I can, so that Basho will be as
healthy as he can be.
Mr. Prince, of course, will not eat anything he doesn't like, no matter
how hungry he is.
It's going to be a process, I'll just have to give it time.

--
Victor M. Martinez
Send your spam he

Old June 5th 05, 03:42 AM
Marina

Victor Martinez wrote:
Well, I made my first batch of raw food today. I ground up a whole
chicken (sans most of the muscle meat) and added all the other nice
supplements. I divided it in 7 portions and froze 6 of them. The other
portion was served as dinner a little while ago. Fez licked some of the
ground up slurry, but left the meat cubes intact. The other cats will
have nothing to do with it.
It seems it's going to be a battle of wills, a battle I have a very good
chance of losing. I think I'll start by mixing a little bit of the raw
stuff with their usual food.
In the mean time, I have 6 very hungry cats and a whole lot of raw food
waiting to be eaten.

Too bad. I hope that gradually mixing more of it into their old food
will work.

--
Marina, Frank and Miranda. In loving memory of Nikki.