Any A/C Experts Out There?

Old May 21st 06, 07:30 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes

Default Any A/C Experts Out There?

Sadly, I agree.

--

Christopher A. Young
You can't shout down a troll.

"Jo Firey" wrote in message
om...

There was a newspaper article here last week that stated it is almost
always
cheaper to just replace a window unit.

Jo

Old May 21st 06, 10:32 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes

Stormin Mormon wrote:

I guess you didn't read my earlier post.

Freon is a (formerly copyrighted) brand name for a brand of
refrigerant.

Saying "freon" is like saying "DelMonte canned food". There are
several different kinds.

Actually, it's more like saying "xerox" when you mean copy
machine! (There may be different brands, but the layman
generally knows only the most familiar, and uses the name as
a generic.)

Old May 21st 06, 11:42 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes

Of course, that makes better sense.

Time to take a couple tylenol, with a styrofoam cup, and some kool
aid. After that, I'll go check my messages on my IBM PC, and then
watch my Zenith.

I'll use that in the future. About Xerox machines.

--

Christopher A. Young
You can't shout down a troll.

"EvelynVogtGamble(Divamanque)" wrote in
message ...

Old May 22nd 06, 01:12 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes

wrote in message
oups.com...
DH is gone, and it's the weekend so there's really no one to call.

Something is screwy with the A/C. I set it on 75 four hours ago. It ran
and ran and ran but it didn't seem to be getting any cooler. I just
looked, and the thermostat is still set on 75, but the inside
temperature is 87. And it's still running.

Do house A/C's have freon, like cars? Is it *possible* that it's
something simple like that? If it was *bad*, would the thing run at
all?

Any help appreciated.

Sherry

Yes, house A/Cs use Freon just like car A/Cs - but it's usually not as
simple as that, unfortunately. And yes, the fan can fun even if the
compressor is not running (go outside and see if the compressor is making
noise). If the compressor is running it could be something as simple as a
broken pressure hose, or something as big as the whole shebang needs to be
replaced.

"Stormin Norman" does A/C repair, I think - and one other person here, but I
can't remember now who. But this is not something that you can diagnose
over the internet.

--

Hugs,

CatNipped

Old May 22nd 06, 04:54 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes

Stormin Mormon wrote:
Do you have anyone you can call? Friends from work or church? I'm sad
that you are home, and hot. You are very considerate to "not tell"
your husband. Few people are that considerate.

You may be able to get a window AC from Walmart for under $100 to get
you through the next couple days. Good luck. wish we lived closer.

--

Christopher A. Young

Well, thanks for the help anyway, everyone. I am so mechanically
unsavvy it's not even funny. I don't have the brain for it....I want
things to *work*, I don't care how they work. If they don't work, I
want someone to show up at my door to whom I write a check that will
make them work.
It is dang hot. I stood it as long as I could, we do live on a hill
with a nice breeze and have ceiling fans but by 3:00 I couldn't stand
it anymore. I went to the matinee showing at the movies, went to Wal
Mart and got a manicure. Visited people (people with air conditining,
that is) . Gah. Got home by 7 and it was starting to cool off. Spent
the rest of the evening in the chaise in the back yard reading. It was
a pretty good day after all.
I think they A/C people will send a tech tomorrow. I hope. People are
telling me they are very good to respond when it's so hot outside.
Sherry

Old May 22nd 06, 12:14 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes

My parents don't have AC. So, when it gets killer hot, they go out to
dinner. Sounds like about what you did. Also, the AC in the car helps.
(if your car has AC). I've known people to go driving just to get into
the AC car.

Where are you? I'm near Rochester NY.

--

Christopher A. Young