Female cat urine vs. male cat urine

Old November 17th 04, 03:12 PM
Tales of Orpheus

Default Female cat urine vs. male cat urine

Can anyone tell me, if you have your cats neutered/spayed, are there any
noticeable difference in the strengths or kinds of smell of the male as
opposed to the female, or are they much the same to the human nose?

Thanks.

Old November 17th 04, 04:30 PM
Phil P.

"Tales of Orpheus" wrote in message
Can anyone tell me, if you have your cats neutered/spayed, are there any
noticeable difference in the strengths or kinds of smell of the male as
opposed to the female, or are they much the same to the human nose?

I really think you've been over-reacting to this whole urine smell thing.
;-) If you keep the litter boxes clean you won't have a urine odor in your
home. Its as simple as that. I have five cats and there is no urine smell
in my home.

Btw, its not a good idea to place the litter boxes in obscure places where
you can't see your cats' litter box activities. Put the litter boxes in a
quiet, low traffic area where you can easily see the box. Otherwise, you
won't know if your cats are straining to urinate or defecate - which would
incicate a medical problem. Waste products as well as litter box behavior
can be early warning signs of illness.

Good luck.

Phil

Thanks.

Old November 17th 04, 04:54 PM
Mary

"Phil P." wrote in message

If you keep the litter boxes clean you won't have a urine odor in your
home. Its as simple as that. I have five cats and there is no urine

smell
in my home.

Btw, its not a good idea to place the litter boxes in obscure places where
you can't see your cats' litter box activities.

I wanted to add that I agree with this. I have two cats, two boxes, and
scoop each once a day. There is never a urine smell in my house. One box
is in a lower level utility room, the other is front and center in the
master
bedroom where I sleep. Meaning, right in front of my tall bureau across from
the bed. While my sniffy sister (who likes to leave hers out in the garage
where she can forget about it until the cat does a pile in the corner of the
living room
out of frustration or disgust) looks down her nose at the location of
Cheeky's box, it works for me. You can SEE that it is a cat box but
you sure can't smell it. And I never forget about it. AND I can shut her
in with us at night and she has everything she needs. (I keep her litter and
scooper in my master bath off in a corner.) The room is very pretty, but
not spoiled by the clean cat box, in my opinion.

Old November 17th 04, 05:20 PM
mpwilliams

"Mary" wrote in message
m...

"Phil P." wrote in message

If you keep the litter boxes clean you won't have a urine odor in your
home. Its as simple as that. I have five cats and there is no urine

smell
in my home.

Btw, its not a good idea to place the litter boxes in obscure places
where
you can't see your cats' litter box activities.

I wanted to add that I agree with this. I have two cats, two boxes, and
scoop each once a day. There is never a urine smell in my house.

Three (3) neutered, four (4) spayed, five (5) boxes, zero (0) odor.
Carefully grooming the surface of the litter at the conclusion of each
scooping session makes it easier to ascertain the need for further scooping
later in the day.

Old November 17th 04, 08:31 PM
Mary

Can anyone tell me, if you have your cats neutered/spayed, are there any
noticeable difference in the strengths or kinds of smell of the male as
opposed to the female, or are they much the same to the human nose?

If a male cat is neutered, he is less likely to spray. Spray is pee generally
on a vertical surface like the side of the couch or desk. This pee will smell
more than pee in a litter box as there is no litter to mask the smell. Their
pee will smell more if they are dehydrated, have kidney or liver issues or are
sick. I don't think I've ever noticed a difference in female vs male urine. Of
course I've never had a female spray.

I rehab squirrels also. Male squirrels urine is much stronger. They use it to
mark their territory. Females mark their territory as well but their urine
doesn't smell as much. Ground squirrels urine is stinkier than tree squirrels.
Old November 17th 04, 10:35 PM
Tales of Orpheus

Gail wrote:

I would say pretty much the same once a cat is spayed or neutered.
Gail

Thanks. I asked because someone here (can't remember who) mentioned in
passing, a week or so ago, that they THOUGHT females were less smelly,
so I just though it would be worthwhile getting people's opinions.

Anyway, great progress this end. Cat-flap installed between
conservatory and kitchen. Door-stop purchased for door between kitchen
and living-room so it can't be fully closed. Then once they're into the
living-room they'll have the run of all the other rooms in the house.

A cat-flap and tunnel through the conservatory wall goes into a
specially-installed small lockable outdoor room, fully ventilated,
water-proof, with masses of room for storage of two deep trays, two
bags of litter, scoops, and a spare bit of floor-space.

So the cats will have their own "loo", out of the way, separate,
private, and fully accessible, just like the humans.

Now for the creation or installation of the various toys!

Thanks for all helpfulness, folks.

Old November 17th 04, 11:26 PM
Phil P.

"Tales of Orpheus" wrote in message

So the cats will have their own "loo", out of the way, separate,
private, and fully accessible, just like the humans.

Humans can tell you when they're having elimination problems... How will
you know if your cats are straining to poop or **** if their litter boxes
are out of sight?