Cats and fireworks

Old January 1st 06, 04:01 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes

Default Cats and fireworks

The new year is nearly four hours old here in Norway, and outside where I
live, in the middle of Oslo, it is absolutely quiet again. It wan't like
that four hours ago. Then there were fireworks everywhere around. I live
near a park where people gather to greet eachother Happy New Year. So the
park is also the launching spot for tons of fireworks.

I stayed inside to see how Teti and Tinùviel would react to all these lights
and explosions outside. Dogs can get quite hysterical and panic over it, so
how would my *cats* react?

Teti woke up when the noise increased outside, and went over to the window
to check out what was going on. He sat there for half an hour, staring out
of the window, listening carefully to all the sounds, and I really think he
would have liked to go out to catch some of the flying balls of light he
saw. He wasn't scared at all!

Tinùviel, on the other hand, was a bit more careful. She saw Teti by the
window and she was wondering if she should dare to sit there with him, but
after a while she retired under a chair where she could observe both Teti
and me, but at a safe distance from the window. She didn't look too scared,
but she found that it was better not to be in the centre of it all.

So, watch your cats, they react differently, and you should see to that the
cats may have a safe place to go to if they get nervous.

And by this I wish people and animals all over the world, a Happy New Year!

--
Hans Schrøder

Old January 1st 06, 04:08 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes

"Hans Schrøder" wrote in message
[...]

Aside from the occasional ear flick, my four don't seem to even notice the
constant barrage of bangs outside. Gypsy, on the other hand is pacing
nervously (Erin says she does the same during thunderstorms).

--

Hugs,

CatNipped

See all my masters at:
http://www.PossiblePlaces.com/CatNipped/

Old January 1st 06, 05:33 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes

Hans Schrøder wrote:
[...]

Happy New Year to you too, Hans. Ours will be a quieter one than
usual--no fireworks. There's a state ban this year because of drought,
low humidity & high winds tonight.

Sherry

Old January 1st 06, 07:25 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes

Hans Schrøder wrote:

So, watch your cats, they react differently, and you should see to that the
cats may have a safe place to go to if they get nervous.

And by this I wish people and animals all over the world, a Happy New Year!

I was watching the cats. because this was Caliban's first New Year and
Miranda was just one month old last New Year's. Caliban did look a bit
worried when the first bangs were heard, but Miranda just wanted out in
the enclosure to watch all the pretty lights. Caliban calmed down
immediately, as he saw me and Miranda being calm about it. So they seem
to be alright with it.

Frank and Nikki used to sit in the window and watch the fireworks on New
Year's Eve, until a few years ago, when Frank suddenly became afraid of
them and had to be reassured and petted all the while it lasted.

marina (dot) kurten (at) iki (dot) fi
Old January 1st 06, 08:08 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes

"Hans Schrøder" wrote in message

So, watch your cats, they react differently, and you should see to that
the cats may have a safe place to go to if they get nervous.

And by this I wish people and animals all over the world, a Happy New
Year!

And a Happy Nude Year to you (and everyone else as well) too.

My cats are so used to the bang bangs from Fort Bragg that fire works don't
faze them at all. Speedy, the d-thing used to whimper when there was
lightning, but I've noticed that he doesn't seem to have a problem with it
anymore.

Has anyone heard of the superstition(?) that when there is lightning and
thunder in the winter, there will be snow in 10 days? We had Thunder storms
on Thursday and Friday nights, so lets see if we get snow on the 8th to 11th
(giving it a couple of days leeway)

Pam S. who's hand is still hurting a little, but is much better thanks

Old January 1st 06, 04:51 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes

On Sun, 1 Jan 2006 04:01:57 +0100, "Hans Schrøder"
yodeled:

[...]

Funny. Fireworks make my poor Stinky miserable-- he slinks around on
his belly (in what we call "Creepin' Jesus" style) when they start up.
Dante just gets excited and bounces off the walls.

In contrast, Stinky treats the vacuum with elaborate indifference, but
Dante still thinks it is hellspawn.

Theresa

Make Levees, Not War
Old January 2nd 06, 07:16 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes

On 2006-01-01, CatNipped penned:

Aside from the occasional ear flick, my four don't seem to even
notice the constant barrage of bangs outside. Gypsy, on the other
hand is pacing nervously (Erin says she does the same during
thunderstorms).

Yup. Oscar never even seems to notice fireworks, even very loud ones
or the screechers that I hate.

My dog Puma (RB), on the other hand, was absolutely terrified of them
and would shake terribly as he tried so hard to rub up against you
that it felt he was trying to get inside your skin. Poor dog. He had
the same reaction to thunderstorms, and if caught outside during one
without anyone home would outrun the storm to escape.

--
monique, who spoils Oscar unmercifully

Old January 2nd 06, 10:04 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes

"Hans Schrøder" wrote in message

I stayed inside to see how Teti and Tinùviel would react to all these lights
and explosions outside. Dogs can get quite hysterical and panic over it, so
how would my *cats* react?/////

Mine all sit at the big picture window in my study and watch any
fireworks, giving marks out of 10! They seem toreally like them.

Helen M