A question on cats and new people

Old October 9th 03, 07:52 PM
Rich A.

Default A question on cats and new people

Hello,

I'm living in an apartment, by myself, for a year. I am thinking of
adopting a cat to keep me company (and I haven't had a pet in over a
decade!). However, I plan on moving in with my girlfriend in about 9
months, and am wondering if a cat would be upset by the presence of a
new person.

Note that *I* am moving in with *her*, so the cat will also have to
adjust to a new home simultaneously. My girlfriend grew up with a cat
that hated her, so she's not too keen on the possibility that my cat
would resent her as well.

Good/bad idea? Should I wait until next year to adopt a cat?
Old October 9th 03, 10:05 PM
Iso

Why don't you first move in, then see how she feels regarding having a pet.
Who knows, she may be allergic to cats, or really despise having a pet in
general. I wouldn't want to hear that you adopted a kitten, moved in and had
to get rid of the kitten because she doesn't like cats or for some
elementary reason. Just don't jump the gun, not yet. I say hold off and see
how things go once you move in. Just don't force the issue. There will
always be a cute kitten for you to adopt.

om...

Old October 9th 03, 11:00 PM
Kuisse0002

First - Don't take on a cat whatever you do.

Second - Work on your relationship with your girlfriend first.

You mentioned you wanted a cat for company but you're taking on a girlfriend!!

Then you're moving in to a new place...

Are you nuts? You have so many on your plate to work with and you don't need
another area of concern.

A cat is not an inanimate object where you can pick it up and place it at the
window. To care for a cat is like caring for another human being. Don't do
anything with animals until you are settled in your palce and your partner
agrees with you. never guess what or how she will take to a new animal in her
place.

Old October 10th 03, 03:22 AM
Philip ®

In om,
Rich A. being of bellicose mind posted:
Hello,

I'm living in an apartment, by myself, for a year. I am thinking
of adopting a cat to keep me company (and I haven't had a pet in
over a decade!). However, I plan on moving in with my girlfriend
in about 9 months, and am wondering if a cat would be upset by the
presence of a new person.

Note that *I* am moving in with *her*, so the cat will also have to
adjust to a new home simultaneously. My girlfriend grew up with a
cat that hated her, so she's not too keen on the possibility that
my cat would resent her as well.

Good/bad idea? Should I wait until next year to adopt a cat?

"Never trust a woman who does not like cats"
--

~~Philip "Never let school interfere
with your education - Mark Twain"