Off to the vet with Marlo

Old May 28th 10, 02:13 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
dgk

Default Off to the vet with Marlo

Marlo hasn't gotten along well with our new boy, Scooter. Scooter is
quite aggressive though, and tough. Espy also hates him and even Nipsy
isn't really friendly with Scooter - and Nipsy is very friendly with
other cats. I would have thought that Marlo would be more sympathetic
to Scooter since I also pulled her in off the street.

I noticed that Marlo's mouth was looking odd and there was blood on
her collar tag, and she won't let me open her mouth to take a good
look. It's gotten better over the last day or so and I think that it's
just a result of a fight with Scooter, but I really can't tell so I
made a Vet appointment for Saturday.

I'm hoping that it's nothing serious of course but since I can't tell
what's going on I'll have to endure the outraged screams of betrayal
and anguish as I load her into the carrier for the torturous five
minute drive to the vet. And the actual torturous bill of course.
Old May 28th 10, 04:10 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
MaryL

"dgk" wrote in message
[...]

I haven't been following these posts, but how long have you had Scooter?
Did you go through the slow, gradual introduction process that is
recommended, or did you just put them together with the expectation that
"everything would work itself out"? If the latter, I suggest that you start
all over again. Put Scooter in a separate room on a temporary basis, and
only very *gradually* introduce the cats to each other. I would be glad to
email some information if you are interested. Your statement that "I would
have thought that Marlo would be more sympathetic to Scooter since I also
pulled her in off the street" is hoomin-type thinking, not cat thinking.

MaryL

Old May 28th 10, 06:10 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
MLB[_2_]

MaryL wrote:

"dgk" wrote in message
[...]

statement that "I would have thought that Marlo would be more
sympathetic to Scooter since I also pulled her in off the street" is
hoomin-type thinking, not cat thinking.

MaryL

And remember to do "scent transfer" when returning from Ted. Best
wishes. MLB
Old May 28th 10, 06:29 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
dgk

On Fri, 28 May 2010 10:10:01 -0500, "MaryL"
-OUT-THE-LITTER wrote:

"dgk" wrote in message
.. .
[...]

Oh no, Scooter was in the Cat Introduction Room for several days. I
did the scent transfer thing, had Feliway sprayed around, and did it
gradually. But Scooter is a muscular streetwise cat and is very
aggressive with food to the point where everyone is afraid to eat
anywhere near him.

The oddest thing is watching Marlo watch Scooter. She has these HUGE
eyes in a pretty small head on a large body. Looks sort of like an
engorged tick. She also looks like that cat in the cat clock:

http://www.amazon.com/Kit-Cat-Clock-.../dp/B0019IBD3U

She'll stare at Scooter from across the room like he's some kind of
alien in a cat costume. I didn't really mean that Marlo would cut him
some slack because they're both from outside. I don't even think Marlo
remembers being outside. She certainly never wanted to go out the
front door once she was inside. In fact, it took a month before she
was willing to go in the backyard with Espy and Nipsy. That girl knows
what the OUT is like and prefers the IN.

In contrast, Scooter still goes out to visit his girlfrriend (Jet) and
baby (Baby), and the other members of the colony: Smokey, Shea, and a
few others. His girlfriend knows something is missing though. She's
obviously been dating other guys since she just had a litter. I plan,
by the end of the summer, to have the whole group TNRd.

It is calming down a bit after a few months. The cats don't actually
run past each other anymore, it's down to a quick walk. And the paws
aren't flying at each other as much. I suspect in a few years they may
actually lie side by side without growling.

Old May 28th 10, 06:56 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
MaryL

"dgk" wrote in message
news
On Fri, 28 May 2010 10:10:01 -0500, "MaryL"
-OUT-THE-LITTER wrote:

"dgk" wrote in message
. ..
[...]

Okay, thanks. I know exactly what you mean by the big eyes. Holly has eyes
like that. They are gorgeous, but they are probably the largest eyes I have
seen in proportion to her face.

MaryL

Old May 30th 10, 01:17 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
dgk

On Fri, 28 May 2010 21:30:37 +0100, Judith Latham
wrote:

In article ,
dgk wrote:
[...]

Purrs for Marlo's trip to the vet to be not too stressful for her and for
you too.

Judith

Back from the vet and not great news. She has ulcers in the back of
her mouth so she's now on antibiotics and prednisone. We also took
blood tests since there's a chance that kidney disease could cause the
ulcers. Or maybe she just ate a big waterbug that disagreed with her.
I'll get the results Tuesday afternoon.

I think she's feeling a bit better though - she ate more than she's
been eating and was more energetic. Lately all she's been doing is
sleeping at the top of the cat tree. I can't tell if that's because
she's feeling poorly or because she hates Scooter's guts.
Old May 30th 10, 10:55 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Adrian[_2_]

dgk wrote:

Back from the vet and not great news. She has ulcers in the back of
her mouth so she's now on antibiotics and prednisone. We also took
blood tests since there's a chance that kidney disease could cause the
ulcers. Or maybe she just ate a big waterbug that disagreed with her.
I'll get the results Tuesday afternoon.

I think she's feeling a bit better though - she ate more than she's
been eating and was more energetic. Lately all she's been doing is
sleeping at the top of the cat tree. I can't tell if that's because
she's feeling poorly or because she hates Scooter's guts.

Poor Marlo. Lots of purrs for her to get well asap.
--
Adrian (Owned by Bagheera & Shadow)
Cats leave pawprints on your heart
Old June 2nd 10, 02:31 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
dgk

On Sun, 30 May 2010 10:55:30 +0100, Adrian wrote:

dgk wrote:

Back from the vet and not great news. She has ulcers in the back of
her mouth so she's now on antibiotics and prednisone. We also took
blood tests since there's a chance that kidney disease could cause the
ulcers. Or maybe she just ate a big waterbug that disagreed with her.
I'll get the results Tuesday afternoon.

I think she's feeling a bit better though - she ate more than she's
been eating and was more energetic. Lately all she's been doing is
sleeping at the top of the cat tree. I can't tell if that's because
she's feeling poorly or because she hates Scooter's guts.

Poor Marlo. Lots of purrs for her to get well asap.

Ah, reasonably good news from the vet. All chem/cbc results are fine,
so there is no kidney involvement. That was the main concern. She may
have some autoimmune component or maybe she just ate something that
really disagreed. Time will tell.

She is certainly eating better - she isn't tossing her head from side
to side which is what really clued me in that something was wrong. She
can certainly afford to lose some weight but not this way.

She is also getting less panicky around Scooter. She is far from
comfortable with him but she will now sleep on the bed when he is also
on it. In fact, she was around two feet from him yesterday.
Improvement is measured in inches I guess.